Removal of Teeth

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think my little Doo is going to have to have some teeth out (well I know she is ?). She was at the vet a few weeks ago because of a loose tooth on her bottom jaw, at the front. Vet said not to worry and it will probably just come out of its own accord. But looking tonight, she actually has three loose teeth, and they’re very loose and causing some discomfort.

So, appt will be booked on Monday.

I hate the thought of her having to have this done. Please can I have some collective reassurance that I’m just being a worry wort ?

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
She'll be absolutely fine and probably far more comfortable. If its the little incisors, she will only be under for a very short time.

{97702}

Visit site
Awww bless ya, get a greyhound and you wouldn’t be batting an eyelid ?

She will be absolutely fine, she will be far better without loose teeth and will thank you for having the procedure done! If you are really concerned then I’d insist on a drip all the way through, it adds to the cost but keeping them hydrated is important, and if she hasn’t had them checked recently then maybe think of pre-op bloods just to be on the safe side.

She won’t miss the teeth at all - lots of mine have had teeth out including the major canines and they have been back to normal the following day ?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thanks all. Bit ? about it as her teeth are great generally, but I know I’ve caused the problem by giving her bones that were perhaps too hard ?

But of course, you’re all right, better out and not causing her discomfort.

Thanks for the tip about the drip, Lev. I’ll be sure to ask for one x

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
P dog has had a number out over 2 sessions.
You may remember that she was an adult rescue and age not determined (guessed at 3 when we got her nearly 5 years ago, vets reckon she's older, now at least 12+). Her teeth were shocking and the rescue came forward to pay 80% of 1st bill.
She has bounced back both times very quickly xx

{97702}

Visit site
Ah yes, the bill.... prepare to faint! My last dental bill was £550 for little Flick greyhound who was about 20kg in weight, she had X-rays to judge which teeth needed to come out (a new ‘thing’ apparently) but she only had about 5 teeth out in the end? It can be wickedly expensive ?

{97702}

Visit site
She’s insured Lev. So the bill is kind of irrelevant thankfully. Not that it matters.I’ve got a little piggy bank full of shrapnel ??

sorry to digress but quite genuine question - does your insurance cover dentals then? I’ve never bothered having the hounds insured because when I looked many years ago dental work wasn’t covered? If it can be covered I may think of insuring them ?

Clodagh

Visit site
sorry to digress but quite genuine question - does your insurance cover dentals then? I’ve never bothered having the hounds insured because when I looked many years ago dental work wasn’t covered? If it can be covered I may think of insuring them ?

My policy doesn't cover it, which is a bummer. I don't think many do.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Petplan cover dental work as a result of injury or illness:

We will cover the treatment of a dental injury or
illness if:
• Your pet had a dental examination by a vet in the
12 months before the first clinical signs of the
injury or illness were seen, and
• Any treatment recommended as a result of the last
dental examination was carried out within 3 months
of the examination taking place.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Ah yes, the bill.... prepare to faint! My last dental bill was £550 for little Flick greyhound who was about 20kg in weight, she had X-rays to judge which teeth needed to come out (a new ‘thing’ apparently) but she only had about 5 teeth out in the end? It can be wickedly expensive ?
P dog was £550 1st time and just under £450 the 2nd time. She's 7kg......
Ouch!

scats

Visit site
Hope all goes ok xx

Not quite the same but a good client of mine has a 14 year old blind (no eyes at all) Chinese crested with a grade 2 heart murmur. Four weeks ago when I groomed him, she told me he was going in for surgery the next day to have a growth removed that they thought might be cancerous. She was understandably very worried given his age and heart problems and I have to admit I was a bit worried too.
I asked her to let me know how he got on and she rang the next day and he’d been absolutely fine. No problems at all under GA, despite his age and issues. The vets actually couldn’t believe how quickly he was up and about after the surgery, looking for food.

Bellasophia

Visit site
All the best to your little girl..the incisors should be a quick pull and they are probably the teeth she will miss least of all.(grooming,gripping teeth)
She will be back to herself in no time.Dont worry.

Visit site
Mrs spaniel only has 6 teeth left in her head, she is 9, and was a rescue with loose teeth and badly infected gums. She has never seemed to notice they are missing, Im just careful what I give her to eat thats not too hard, she has the softer dentastix type things, not rawhide or anything not bendy!

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I've had 2 old bitches over 14 years old go through tooth removal surgeries (I've had 2 younger than that do it, too). Jonna needed to have one out at the end of Summer last year, and although her wound took longer to heal, she didn't have a problem with the surgery.
Nessie was way back in 2005, when she was 14 ½ years old. Her liver values weren't tip top, so considering her age, my veterinarian referred us to the big veterinary hospital which have better tools, and can get the tooth/teeth out faster = less anaesthesia time. It also went well, but she died around 3 months later of an unrelated cause.

My insurance rules says they only cover teeth when injury or illness is involved, but I think it has to do with owners not brushing their dog's teeth, and plaque, and tartar leading to teeth needing to be removed.
Since I brush my bitches teeth, and they don't have much plaque or tartar, my insurance have this far covered 4 not injury related tooth removal surgeries (+ one which was injury related). I don't remember if my veterinarian sent them the teeth, or simply pictures of them showing the lack of/only minor amount of plaque/tartar, but either way, it has been enough for them to decide to cover the surgery.

Nessie was insured with a different insurance company than the other ones, so that is 2 different (Swedish) insurance companies paying out, despite what it says in their rules.
So if you try to take care of your dog's (or cat's) teeth, and they need to have not injury or illness related teeth removal, perhaps ask your veterinarian about if they think the removal is related to plaque/tartar. If the answer is no, maybe it could be worth contacting the insurance company, and ask for an individual assessment of the case.

Hope it goes well with Daisy next week, Amymay.

Clodagh

Visit site
Just to update you all. Daisy had her teeth done today. A bit (well very) gutted that 10 came out in total. But, she’s home and relatively bright and demanded tea.

The bill was a very surprising £176.

Thanks everyone for your reassurances xxx

I bet you are relieved it is over, and wow so cheap!

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Just to update you all. Daisy had her teeth done today. A bit (well very) gutted that 10 came out in total. But, she’s home and relatively bright and demanded tea.

The bill was a very surprising £176.

Thanks everyone for your reassurances xxx

Glad to hear she's doing well :)

Does the vet do humans for that price? :D

Landcruiser

Visit site
im with pet plan and dental work is not covered unless caused by an accident
that's not true generally with Petplan. We have lots of successful claims for dentals at our practice because of gingivitis, infections, and other issues from Petplan, as well as other insurers. You have to make sure dog is healthchecked every year and if the vet recommends a dental you have to action it within 3 months (with Petplan, others may be different). Vets can do a Pre authorisation with Petplan as well, so you'll know before booking if it's covered.