Removeable Towbars.....are they safe to tow with?

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
I am looking at using a temporary towbar for towing my horse in a trailer, either an ifor or equitrec. The towbar is the Range Rover sport one and does anyone tow with the Land Rover removeable tow bar? Are the strong, secure and safe enough? My husband really doesn’t like the look of a fixed towbar on his precious RRS! So removeable towbar is a compromise!

SOS

Visit site
Just be aware a removable tow bar may have a different towing weight and you want to keep safely below that. I believe there was an incident in which one snapped whilst towing just over 3 tons, afterwards it was realised whilst the vehicle could tow this, the tow bar could actually only take 2 tons. I think the official Land Rover ones take 3.5 tons though...

This article says about it and a tip to put it on for MOTs as apparantly it will be checked.
https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/horse-trailer-detachable-towbars-452406

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I swapped mine on purchase to a fixed one. The detachable I was warned could get slight play in it over time which I didn't fancy & I know my friends has a very slight movement - barely anything at all & not saying it isn't safe, but it just didn't sit well with me so switched it for my peace of mind. I'm a bit of a worrier though!

Theocat

Visit site
My friend's broke, and the trailer ended up in a hedge - luckily at low speed. No idea of the cause but she went straight to fixed, understandably.

You also need to let your insurance know you have a towbar because it counts as a modification.

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
Thank you everyone! I have heard about there being a problem with the old towbars of land rover and of them breaking but there is a recall on them and you can exchange the old one for a new one at LR and they will check your vehicle too. I have looked at the electric deployable one but at over £2k for one fitting at LR I think I’ll leave it!

JillA

Visit site
Mine has a significantly lower towing capacity with a removable towbar (less than 2 tonnes) while with a fixed one it is over 3. I would check the stats for your vehicle to see - presumably depends on the fixings for the removable one

case895

Visit site
I had a Disco 3 and had the towbar and hook replaced as they fretted and worked loose. Eventually JLR admitted there was a problem with them and reimbursed me. I found out later that dealers check the cars whenever they are in for anything and swap parts out of there is any sign of fretting.