Renault Dodge Horseboxes....

georgiegirl

Visit site
Would like to hear from people who have or have had a renault dodge horsebox. What are they like to drive? are they good engines? is there any particular problems to look out for? what are the repair costs like?

A little bit older than what I was planning on going for but I dont mind an oldie if its a goodie!

thanks folks!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
We have one - C reg, never missed a beat mechanically. They are slow (fastest I have ever been is 60, but then you are not legaly allowed to go any faster than that in a HGV), agricultural, a perkins diesel engine that shares many parts with massey ferguson tractors so cheap and easily accessible. Check out cab thoroughly, esp under mats, our was quite rotten, but my OH can weld. Our box was coach built so very sturdy.

There is a cool Dodge 50 owners website.

Also has it got PAS? Ours didnt originaly and OH retro fitted it, makes manourvreing much easier - oh and I love mine.

Last edited:

georgiegirl

Visit site
Thats interesting to know! I was feeling slightly put off by someone saying parts were difficult to get hold of..... The one im off to see is a h reg but the body is a lot newer :)

dieseldog

Visit site
Dodge 50?

I have one - the main thing to look out for is rust, they love to rust. Mine won't pass an MOT as the engine chassis has rusted away. The engine is great as it is a perkins diesel and they are really good engines. Mine was a 3.9l and very economical to drive. My slave cylinder went a few times and the starter motor. But I drove it for about 10 years.

They are also very noisy to drive as there is access to the engine thru the cab. They have a bonnet and don't tilt.

Really easy to drive, like having a big landrover. Mechanically they will go on for ever, but rust will get them.

I absolutely loved mine, but know some people that don't like them. There is a FB page for them.

ETS - I have a Massey Fergusson starter motor on it :)

Andalusianlover1

Visit site
Thats interesting to know! I was feeling slightly put off by someone saying parts were difficult to get hold of..... The one im off to see is a h reg but the body is a lot newer :)

I sold/part ex a H Reg renault Dodge about 12 months ago, whats the full Reg Just in case its my old lorry (PM me if you prefer).

I loved mine, drove beautifully, had plenty of room for two big horses but if something did go wrong (which was rare) it wasnt cheap, ended up costing me up to a £1000 per year to maintain.(that included annual plating)

[59668]

Visit site
I used to have one and loved it. It was so reliable with a great turning circle. Only dodgy thing was the gearbox - it was like stirring a box of spanners!!!

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I had one, Dave, I sold him a couple of years ago and still miss him.

Perkins engine, so asy to get Massey parts, it's a basic engine so there isn't much to go wrong. Forget stereos in the cab or chatting to passengers, the engine is too noisy.

Dave could turn on a sixpence, I could and did a few times park him in a supermarket car park.

He always put a smile on my face.

I didn't have power steering, but found some on ebay, never got round to putting it on because he was great without it, honest driving, like an old transit van, lol
dave1.jpg