Renault Master weight/consequences

Polonaise

Visit site
Sure this is on here somewhere but can't seem to find the answer.
I have a 2003 long-wheel-base Renault Master with the bigger engine (can't remember what size), it is a coach-built conversion that is now 7 years old. I downsized to it from a 7.5t as wasn't eventing much and only had one ride but now find myself in the position of having two competing. My 'horses' are both just under 500kg. I knew I would be tight on weight but a friend recently found her brand new conversion was well over the advertised weight so today I checked it.
2.610 with me, full tank of fuel 50L water on board.
3.010 without me and less 80miles of fuel, with 1 horse, some tack and 25L water.
So with 2 horses, water, fuel and kit we'll be about 3.6/3.7t
I have a cat C driving license and understand these vans are capable of carrying more weight so hopefully not a safety issue. Am I likely to get points 1-200kg over weight? Are there insurance implications and would they find out? How would I set about up-rating and what's it likely to cost?

Or maybe I just need a bigger horse box ;)

Polonaise

Visit site
A friend was going down that route, but has now opted for a decent small camper-type V. Crafter & std Ifor trailer.
Means they can use the camper for family things too :)
Hmm....partner's quite keen on this option as well, he has cars so would double up for racing. Purpose built camper vans are quite pricey though and towing capacity doesn't seem that great....wonder what my parents would think about sitting on deck chairs in the back of a white transit at events ;)

Polonaise

Visit site
The eventa ?
I am thinking about one of these ATM.

Yeah, just seen the brochure today, I like the equitreks but know a few people have had trouble with build quality, would hope IFW would be a bit sturdier and looks to have a lot more room.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Hmm....partner's quite keen on this option as well, he has cars so would double up for racing. Purpose built camper vans are quite pricey though and towing capacity doesn't seem that great....wonder what my parents would think about sitting on deck chairs in the back of a white transit at events ;)

Race support vehicles are great :biggrin3: we have one....... pulls like a train even when fully loaded - and has a good sized caravan on the back.
DH has eyed up my little box on occasions tho. he was even more enthusiastic a few yrs ago when I had the bigger box, as full living & stalled for 3. That was luxury in the race paddock for him, instead of 'pigging it' in the 'support van' lol

Piglet

Visit site
If I was in your situation, I personally would either upgrade again or buy a good 4x4 and trailer, the legality side alone, I would rather be well under weight rather than overweight or close to the legal limit, the safety of me and my horse is paramount.

EstherYoung

Visit site
Some options may be:
- Take a car with you when you need to take two, to carry all the 'stuff' (tack, water, spare wheel, etc) leaving just the horses in the box. Some people I know tow the car with the box.
- Get a trailer and tow the extra horse with the box. Masters can tow 2.5 tonnes and they actually tow very well.
- Uprate to 3.9 tonnes (can be done fairly easily I believe)