Renting field with ragwort

Teddybully

Visit site
If a field is taken on at the end of May (viewed in April) and then ragwort springs up now - should the landlord have any responsibility for that or can they just rent out a field at the end of May knowing horses are to be grazing on it and expect the tenant to deal with it? It's obviously been a problem before now and there has been a lack of field management so who is responsible?

Teddybully

Visit site
Mmmm..just seems a bit unfair that they do no paddock management whatsoever then expect the tenant to do it. Another lesson learned in things to demand before renting I suppose!

BBH

Visit site
Mmmm..just seems a bit unfair that they do no paddock management whatsoever then expect the tenant to do it. Another lesson learned in things to demand before renting I suppose!

You could demand they do it but you'd have to accept the cost of rental to go up to cover the paddock maintenance.

Not everyone who rents fields out is horsey so they wouldn't be aware of ragwort implications.

IMO unless the contract specifically says I think you should expect to do your own maintenance.

ThePony

Visit site
I'm not sure that ragwort growing can fairly be put down to poor paddock maintenence. At our last yard it was very carefully pulled every year, it still came back! It takes a few number of years of diligent pulling before a reduction can be seen, and that is assuming that you don't get seeds blown in. It is an evil weed!

Teddybully

Visit site
Not everyone who rents fields out is horsey so they wouldn't be aware of ragwort implications.

IMO unless the contract specifically says I think you should expect to do your own maintenance.

They are most definitely aware of the ragwort effect on horses.

It was a problem that was pre-existing so I have different views on it, but it looks like it's down to me. It's a large area so not an easy job!