Renting & Loaning Horses Out

horsesfornow

Visit site
Has anyone ever loan or renting out their horse before as we are well overstocked at the moment.

It’s just that I have heard some stories on the net that people ran off with your horse; I am going to take a deposit.

BSJAlove

Visit site
ive loaned horses before and loaned horses out before. ive never had a bad word to say about it and if your lucky enough to find trust worthy people its really rewarding! i never asked for a deposit though, thats a new one to me?? just a signed legal document in my cases.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I have a little section A on loan (with view to buy).Had her since sept 2005.Company for my cob.
Last time I loaned a pony out,it was in the late 80s and they eventually bought him and kept him for life.
You just have to find the right home.Go see where its being kept and keep in touch with the loanee. As for the passport,I havent got the section A as owner wont give it too me,which might be a problem if she needs the vet. Cant insure her either.
There are good homes and bad ones.
Are they youngsters,riding or???
Hope everything goes well.

trundle

Visit site
I've had all my horses on loan, never paid a deposit! On every occasion, i gave the horse's owner proof of my identity with copies of my passport and council tax bill. A deposit isnt a bad idea, but you need to make absolutely sure that your contract is very explicit about what the deposit is, how it will be returned to the loaner after they finish loaning your horse, etc. Otherwise it could be interpreted as the sale price of the horse.

TBH, the only horses I have ever heard of being leased out are good competition horses, not jsut ordinary riding horses.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I've had all my horses on loan, never paid a deposit! On every occasion, i gave the horse's owner proof of my identity with copies of my passport and council tax bill. A deposit isnt a bad idea, but you need to make absolutely sure that your contract is very explicit about what the deposit is, how it will be returned to the loaner after they finish loaning your horse, etc. Otherwise it could be interpreted as the sale price of the horse.

TBH, the only horses I have ever heard of being leased out are good competition horses, not jsut ordinary riding horses.

Thats a VERY GOOD point.

MissTyc

Visit site
I have loaned out many of mine. Had several on loan, too -- no money ever changed hands. Leased out a show pony for a season a few years ago and was paid an agreed fixed fee per month for his use. Then they realised he was also safe for their very young child and made me an offer I could not refuse to buy him -- would only do a lease in exceptional cicumstances.

canteron

Visit site
If you loan you horse to a random person (ie someone you don't know) really really do your checks!!!

Also check the person matches the name they have given you - there have been examples of loanees having great references - but they have just 'borrowed' a name to fool you!

I think leasing horses is an American thing which is slowly coming over here so it might be an idea to check out the American horsey forums to get more info.

rangerover

Visit site
Not exactly the same thing I know but I once left a pony with a 'professional' seller, kept in touch by phone, was told it had sold, went to collect the money only to find the yard was rented and they had totally disappeared with everyone's horses and the money! I have never trusted anyone since. I also loaned a horse from someone who subsequently changed their number and I never saw them again! Strange happenings!

horsesfornow

Visit site
Thank you for your info everyone.

I have some top class show jumpers that I was thinking of hiring them out as the selling market is very hard at the moment and I have many horses.

But with any of my horses the loaner will have to pay £300 deposit to makesure the horse comes back to me as it when out.

I think deposit should be paid on any horse being loaned out to people you don't, when you loan a car or anything like that you have to paid a deposit!!