repainting a trailer

annunziata

Visit site
hi all!! I am going to referb the outside of my trailer this year and wondering if any of you lovely people had any advise. I cant afford to have it sprayed so i was going to paint it with a roller is that possible?? it is currently black so I was going to keep it the same colour

Fiona

Visit site
As long as its of standard metal/aluminium construction I'd go ahead.

Years and years ago I painted my single pony box using a brush. It looked fine.

Fiona

J&S

Visit site
Yes, we painted ours, used outside garden paint, it looked fine, pretty smart in fact at the time! I am sure we did it with brushes.

Suechoccy

Visit site
I had the side panels replaced on mine, crimson as they no longer do brown (the original colour) so I bought some crimson gloss and painted the other panels so it matches. Then got the acrylic paints out and painted cartoon horses onto the sides, front and back too. Plus postcode in gloss white and black on top aluminium roof and tops of sides. (IW505 of 1993 vintage so I can't possibly devalue it by personalising it!)

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I refurbished a trailer years ago. If the paint is bad in areas & you need to strip it back then use paint stripper. If when you've stripped the paint it is aluminium underneath then you will need to you an etch primer. This will provide a 'key' for the paint. I purchased proper car paint & painted it on with a small 'gloss roller'/ The finish was very good. Any areas where you can't get the roller in use a small brush. Don't be tempted to buy really chap brushed as they lose their bristles into you paint. The overall look is really good but the real secret is preparation. If you don't prepare the surface for paint then your result will not be great. It's worth doing, when I did mine I kept the trailer for 3-4 years & still sold it for £300 more than I bought it for.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have used satin metal paint before and it works well. I'd have the angle grinder on it first and de burr it and get all the loose paint off, then I'd go back and sand it with a sander. I did a half assed job on prep work on the other one and it looked a bit rubbish. Then prime and paint. do not put it on too thick!