Repairing the end of a schooling whip

pootler

Visit site
There must be about 400 dressage schooling whips at my yard, unloved, unused in a corner but no-one can quite bear to throw them out - without the end flicky bit, nobody uses these..... So some kind person tootles off and buys a new whip then everyone uses it until the flicky bit drops off, it then gets filed as schooling whip number 401... and so the cycle continues.

I can usually find most things online and am actually quite good at improvising repairs but the flicky thing on the end of a schooling whip eludes me.

Does anyone have a bright idea as to how a good repair can be made, I'm sure whatever it is will involve duct/electrician's tape but I can't come up with a good idea for the actual flicky bit.

EnduroRider

Visit site
Hmm... what about splitting a length of bailer twine into three or four thinner lengths and then plaiting together. But in to shorter lengths and tie on to the whip.

This is the only thing I can think of that won't be too soft and floppy. Cheap too!

Tnavas

Visit site
OK - you need to be a bit handy with a needle and thread.

Thread a needle and go up a few weaves of the cover and insert needle under a thread, Pull through until about 10cms of cotton is left at the end, cut thread 10cms from top, you now have two lots of thread each 10cms long. Repeat all the way around the end of the whip - then you start plaiting them all together.

In the tack room, fix a piece of plastic drainpipe horizontal on the wall and train all users to place whips in there when not being used. And not to stand the whip on its end which is how they lose their ends.

It will be the end of a family of tailess whips!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My terrier LOVES to demolish the end of schooling whips! Does it for a pastime.

What I do is to go into a shop where they sell leather thonging (yeah, OK so I can just hear the "kinky" comments out there LOL :) - like, I visit it frequently etc etc!!!). My local handicraft/haberdashery shop does it as they sell light furniture as well. Or you could try a hiking/farming/outdoor pursuits shop as they quite often will sell old-fashioned leather bootlaces. Or somewhere like Farmers Friend.

Anyway, what you then need is some ducting tape. Cut the thonging to the length you need, using three strands which you will then need to plait so make sure you cut considerably longer than you think you'll need coz you need to be able to tie a knot in the end as well.

So select your strands, plait it up, and then tie a knot in the end of it. You might need to soften up the leather first using oil, saddle soap or siimilar. You may then need to secure this knot further using strong harness-repairing thread to sew into the knot for extra security (Wenzels do a good one, try local tackshop).

Then, using your ducting tape, secure firmly on the end of the schooling whip. You can then use black or brown electrical tape to cover the unsightly ducting tape up on top.

You can also use some super-glue to secure the leather thonging bit on to your whip just for a bit of extra security, THEN do ducting tape/electrical tape on top of that as well.

And hey presto! One schooling whip!

Last edited:

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I've repaired old hunting whips as well as made various slips using the whipping/binding technique andi t's handy for mending whips.
If yours is the tie on sort then just get some braided nylon cord, tie on tight.
Or if yours is whipped in like on this slip

roundleaD2.jpg

To whip/bind it as in picture above you'll need braided nylon or leather keeper/tang to go on the end then bind it in with thinnish strong hemp or lined thread, then laquer it to seal it.
The binding will last the longest and will outlive the thong/tang as well as the rest of the whip, the slip in the picture I made about 15 years ago and it's still going strong, Oz :)

pootler

Visit site
Thank you all so much for your great ideas. I am now suitably inspired and shall have a go at repairs, I have most of the bits and pieces recommended so should only cost me pennies.