Replacing a Rice Europa floor

zoon

Visit site
My 1993 Europa could do with a new floor. The current floor has end to end tongue and groove on top and not sure underneath! I know the beauforts needed side to side tongue and groove with ply sheets on top for structural integrity, is the Europa the same?

sychnant

Visit site
Mine has the original floor in although I am currently replacing it. The bottom layer is tongue and groove from front to back, the top layer is tongue and groove from side to side.

I only need to replace the top layer so am currently trying to source some affordable hardwood tongue and groove, I'm told ply as a top layer is ok but would not risk it after the site I saw the other day with trailer accidents on it :(

zoon

Visit site
mine doesnt have the original floor then - looks like bottom layer in ply boards and top is front to back T&G. So I need front to back and then side to side.

What should I expect to pay for the wood? My father is a carpenter, so fitting is free!

sychnant

Visit site
The best I have found so far is this site:

http://www.uk-timber.co.uk/ccp.php/air-dried-oak-boards-joinery-grade-ccp-5?status=add

I have done a very rough calculation and I think one layer side to side in mine would be between £300 and £400. That's with the thickest boards they do so probably overkill when it's a second layer. Might get better when I measure properly though :)

I have to say, I don't think that is bad for oak. But if anyone has any better (cheaper) sites to look at, please let us know!

rockysmum

Visit site
So far as I know the orginal floors (I bought a couple that still had them in) were front to back tongue and groove with hardwood planks (not tongue and groove) side to side.

I always replaced the bottom with tongue and groove and the top with ply and then rubber matting. You could have put an elephant in safely. I lifted the ply every year to check underneath, it was a simple job to put a new piece of ply on the top if necessary.

I used to do a floor very cheaply using tongue and groove from the second hand timber yard. The boards had only been used indoors and therefore had no damage or rot. To be honest the wood was far better quality than the new you can buy these days.

The ply top layer is only to spread the weight so I didn't buy the most expensive.