Replacing hat after a fall?

hurricane124

Visit site
Just wanted to get opinions as I'm getting some conflicting advice.
I came off back in December (posted a few times about it to be fair). Quite a bad fall and I broke my pelvis.
I'm now cleared by the hospital yo ride again so I'm having a quiet 1-1 lesson at a different stables to see how I feel about being back on.

Do I need to replace my hat?
I've been told by some people I need to and others have said I should be fine.
As far as I'm aware I didn't hit my head. I landed on my hip which took most of the impact hence the broken pelvis. I also bruised my arm but no pain around the head and neck or any concussion symptoms etc.

I obviously want to be safe but it's a big cost cause I'm a very casual rider. Only ride once a week - don't own/loan etc.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
As a teen I once fell off 3 times in the summer holidays. New hat each time! Mum was aghast!

I don' replace my hat if I don't hit my head, but TBF if you also broke your pelvis you won't really know if you hit your head or not (as no doubt you were hurting more elsewhere). You don't have to hit the ground hard with your head for the foam inside to compress. Once it is compressed it is not as protective.

Gazen

Visit site

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Realistically it can be a personal choice, but one that often depends how much knowledge you have of the fall.

With regard to the above Kramer link, it doesn't say if it carries the kitemark which can be an issue depending on the regs where you are riding.

Gazen

Visit site
The Kramer hat conforms with the VG1-01.040 2014-12 safety standard which is accepted for competition in the UK

ester

Visit site
For affiliated not without an additional kitemark ;). And often IME riding schools take the same approach which some people have encountered as a problem as they have an 'of standard' hat.

ester

Visit site
Interestingly BD word it differently to BE/BS/BRC + PC by saying it is recommended, everyone else says it has to have either kitemark or inspec IC mark.

tashcat

Visit site
My rule tends to be replace if head is hit, but in your case I would replace anyway as sounds like an unpleasant one and you might not have noticed as much if your head did at some point hit the ground.

We went through airport security with friends a few years back and the staff came running after us to say the scanners had showed one guy's hat was completely cracked! Very kind of them - it was replaced immediately! He didn't even remember having a fall in it (albeit could also have been dropped!). Either way that makes me extra cautious about replacing hats every few years!

waggit

Visit site
Please replace your hat. Even if it was a soft knock on the ground the foam would of done it's job. You won't know how damaged it is until it doesn't protect the next time (hopefully not). I don't ride anymore but my motorcycle helmet is treated the same way. Even if I just slip and drop it to the ground and watch it bounce I won't take a chance and fork out for a new one. My head intact is worth it. Oh and the foam inside deteriorates over time even if it is not knocked in any way. As a rule I would replace it every 3 - 4 years.

Shay

Visit site
I too would replace the hat - and as others have said that Kramer one (althgouh probably absolutely fine) is not competition legal in the UK becuase it does not bear the Kitemark. I see a lot of these PC Hat checking. But you can get a basic skull for a similar price.

Snitch

Visit site
I’d replace it. I’d also view it as essential expenditure above most other horse related spending activities.

merlin84

Visit site
Depending on how big your head is, you might fit a child’s hat which brings the price down too. I have replaced if hit head only but after a big fall like yours, I would replace anyway I think.

mariew

Visit site
Yup, replace if your head has hit the floor as the foam inside gets compressed and isn't doing it's job anymore. Really not worth risking your head for what is pennies in comparison to what horses cost month in, month out to run.

Talism4n

Visit site
Unless I'm absolutely certain my hat didn't touch the floor, I replace it. This includes dropping it or banging it on anything. A friend had a horrific accident when I was in my early teens and since then my hat is the one piece of kit I'll never take a chance on.

hurricane124

Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Now I've been back on and know I intend on keeping going (it was touch and go - the recovery period very nearly put me off) I'm going to go hat shopping in the morning.
Unfortunately my hat was only about 6 months old but after the fall I had I should know more than anyone the risks. Luckily it was a junior hat so hopefully can be replaced for a bit less!

It seems after speaking to my sister in law who was at the yard when I came off that I did hit my head (albeit after hitting everything else) so at least it did it's job because no damage to my head at least and I don't even remember hitting it!

little_critter

Visit site
I treated myself to a nice new Gatehouse HS1. Two weeks later I got fired head first into a gate. The hat did it’s job but I was gutted that it only lasted 2 weeks.

pansymouse

Visit site
I treated myself to a nice new Gatehouse HS1. Two weeks later I got fired head first into a gate. The hat did it’s job but I was gutted that it only lasted 2 weeks.

I no longer buy expensive hats as they appear to be an open invitation to meet the ground shortly after purchase. I now go for fancy covers which recover from a fall with nothing more than a wash.