Replacing Top Spec

cookster1975

Visit site
This might be a bit repetitive but I want to replace my Top Spec balancer and conditioning cubes for as natural a diet as possible. He is doing well on the Top Spec but there are still ingredients in both products that I've decided I don't want to feed.

My head is spinning after days of research but as far as I can make out I need to somehow make sure he's still getting:-

Fibre (I do feed Alfa A Molasses Free at present along with above and he's on ad lib hay)
Linseed
Soya

to replace the conditioning cubes

then,

broad spec vit/min supp
yeast (brewers)
biotin

to replace the balancer

Could anyone give me examples of their horses diets that are fibre based and natural, that they maintain weight well on?

Hope this makes sense!! I am struggling here!!

SunshineTallulah

Visit site
I've switched to Dengie Leisure Vits & Mins to add to my Dengie HiFi Original. So far so good.

Be interested to hear what you decide to use!

Nocturnal

Visit site
I feed fast fibre, fibre cubes, micronised linseed, yea sacc and the new forage plus balancer http://shop.forageplus.com/products (formerly fed pro hoof http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-HOOF-1-8KG-HIGH-CONCENTRATED-EQUINE-SUPPLEMENT-/280812474779?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D280723407424%252B280723407424%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6834607000488636263 which I also rate).

My TB was struggling to maintain weight on any other feeds this winter, but has done very well on this combo lately.

cookster1975

Visit site
Thank you for your replies.

Fast Fibre comes up alot but from what I can see is just chopped straw and beet?

Nocturnal, I was thinking something similar to you, so maybe

Alphabeet, handful of Alpha A Molasses free (for texture), Linseed, and instead of a bought vit/min supplement - add Brewers Yeast, Yea-sacc, Seaweed and Magnesium Oxide (heavy).

ST - Dengie advised me to just feed the Alpha A Molasses free and their Leisure Vits/Mins with maybe some Linseed for condition. That sounds great but would have to add Brewers yeast as none in there so thought it might be better to buy the above from naturalhorsesupplies.co.uk

cookster1975

Visit site
This stuff is excellent:

http://thunderbrook.co.uk/equine-pure-essentials-base-mix/

I switched to it from Top Spec and think it does a better job...

Can I ask how much you use and do you feed it with anything else?

I have just ordered a bag of Linseed from charnwood milling and was going to buy

seaweed
yea-sacc
brewers yeast
magnesium oxide

from natural horse supplies. It looks like the Thunderbrook has all the above bar the seaweed (and more) but I'm wondering how it works out cost wise.

Thank you.

bluehorse

Visit site
Can I ask how much you use and do you feed it with anything else?

I have just ordered a bag of Linseed from charnwood milling and was going to buy

seaweed
yea-sacc
brewers yeast
magnesium oxide

from natural horse supplies. It looks like the Thunderbrook has all the above bar the seaweed (and more) but I'm wondering how it works out cost wise.

Thank you.

I feed it with soaked oats and Readigrass, my boy drops weight though so if you've got a good doer you wouldn't need the oats. I was supplementing with magnesium oxide and brewers yeast previously but don't any more. How much you feed depends upon your horse but I probably feed the max amount as he's a big chap as well as a poor doer. A bag still lasts me about a month though at £36 plus delivery, it's about the same as Top Spec.

You do need to add the chaff though to give it some texture in my opinion as it's not pelleted.

I don't often promote things but I do rate this stuff...he had condition dapples in the summer, never had those before! His temperamant has also improved.

cookster1975

Visit site
Seaweed is only of value if your forage is low in iodine:)

Seaweed contains vitamins, minerals, trace elements, and amino acids too apparently?

I feed it with soaked oats and Readigrass, my boy drops weight though so if you've got a good doer you wouldn't need the oats. I was supplementing with magnesium oxide and brewers yeast previously but don't any more. How much you feed depends upon your horse but I probably feed the max amount as he's a big chap as well as a poor doer. A bag still lasts me about a month though at £36 plus delivery, it's about the same as Top Spec.

You do need to add the chaff though to give it some texture in my opinion as it's not pelleted.

I don't often promote things but I do rate this stuff...he had condition dapples in the summer, never had those before! His temperamant has also improved.

Great - thank you. What a minefield!

Oberon

Visit site
Seaweed contains vitamins, minerals, trace elements, and amino acids too apparently?

I (and alot of others) fed seaweed in the early days.

Then we moved onto forage analysis and mineral balancing and found that the benefits of seaweed were limited to supplementing iodine.

cookster1975

Visit site
I (and alot of others) fed seaweed in the early days.

Then we moved onto forage analysis and mineral balancing and found that the benefits of seaweed were limited to supplementing iodine.

Ah!

What would you recommend if the hay comes from different fields? Is it still worth having your soil/grass analysed do you think as a starting point?