Report from tonights jumping lesson with Joe Whitaker

Befney3

Visit site
I haven't done a report in here before but have just had a really good lesson
smile.gif
so I thought I'd tell you guys about it.

I've had my boy, Chilli, for about 18months now & we're jumping BN classes at BSJA. We struggle with a distinct lack of clears & I know a lot of it is down to my bad riding.
blush.gif

Joe Whitaker came to do a clinic at the yard I'm on a few weeks back & I had a lesson with two friends then which was very useful so I thought I'd have another with the same people at todays clinic.

We started over a small cross pole & Joe had identified my canter as being a problem last time so today started by getting me to try & have more canter but not more speed (intersting on an ex-racer who thinks fast is compulsary). Once all three of us were jumping the cross out of a nice rythm & getting a good stride he had us jumping two verticals with about eight strides between. Again my main aim was to keep the impulsion in the canter.

Once we'd all jumped the verticals he had us all jumping round a course of six fences. He worked with each of us on getting the strides right & establishing the best canter to jump from before putting the fences up. We had a gate, a good square oxer & a four stride distence between two verticals.

Towards the end of the lesson Chilli was knocking quite a few fences & I was really struggling to get a good stride to the fence despite Joes help with my canter. Joe got on & jumped him round a couple of times, playing at adjusting the canter & setting Chilli up correctly. Once Joe had finished, I got back on & jumped round again. Joe said to try not to restrict Chilli by holding his head to much 'cos I have him too tight & this stops him from snapping his frot end up.

By the end of the lesson me & one of the others were jumping round the course at about 1.05m & I was managing to get a bit more canter & hold less so Chilli was getting a better stride into the fence &, as a result, was getting a better jump over the fence. The last round I jumped felt fab & actually felt really easy so I'm like this tonight
grin.gif

One of the others was seeing a fab stride to everything & her horse was jumping really well so she was sent round the course at the end at a good 1.10-1.15m. It's amazing how well a group of three worked. We all got a fair amount of attention & time & the fact that there were three ment we got a bit of a break at times which was good because I don't think I'd manage the full hour on my own, I'd be knackered!

Anyway, sorry if it's a bit long & thanks for reading. Anyone want to share my pizza or my Malibu & Coke?

Beth.x

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Sounds fantastic I often find I can get most out of small shared lessons - probably just because it gives me a chance for a rest!

Gamebird

Visit site
Pleased to hear that you got a lot from it. There's nothing like a good lesson for a bit of a
grin.gif
, is there?

Is it THE Joe Whitaker? If so is he still really young? I kind of got the impression he was barely out of ponies, but then I saw an advert for lessons in the Yorkshire Post and wondered whether it was a different one?

Befney3

Visit site
It was good to be able to watch what the others were doing & see how they were being taught to correct things too. I think an hour on my own would have been far too long but it really works with the group.

Befney3

Visit site
Yes it is THE Joe Whitaker. I think he's only about twenty. He's one of those people who just seems to be able to teach & doesn't make you feel stupid when you mess up. He's also quite happy to get on to sort out a problem or see how a horse feels.

Gamebird

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes it is THE Joe Whitaker. I think he's only about twenty.

[/ QUOTE ]

How time flies
blush.gif

AutumnRose

Visit site
Sounds like a fantastic lesson! I thought he was still about 16, shows what i know!!!

Great to have a big name who is prepared to get on to have a feel and then help you work through things. Lucky you
smile.gif
smile.gif

sachak

www.pinkequine.com
gosh, i feel old knowing that Joe is now 20! mind, you im only the same age as ellen but he was always the baby!

fantastic news that you had a good lesson and got so much out of it
smile.gif
well done
smile.gif
x