Reporting a dodgy vet - how easy?

Flicker

Visit site
Not for me - I love my vets!!!

It is for a lady at work, whose partner's dog had to have an operation (a very standard, run of the mill operation) and who is now very poorly. Lady at work said that she felt uncomfortable about dropping the dog off but her partner (who owns the dog) assured her that the vet has had good feedback from people he's spoken to.
Lady at work said the place looked filthy and she begged partner to take the dog to her vets but he said he was sure everything would be fine.

Anyway, it is not. The dog is not well and my friend is very unhappy and expecting the worst.

Thing is, I have also heard of this vet and nothing that I've heard is good. I wouldn't let them near my animals, that's for sure. Basically, the vet is the cheapest for miles around and you get what you pay for!

So, lady at work is saying that if anything happens to the dog she will be wanting to take things further, and we were just wondering how easy it would be.
For example, how do you arrange a post mortem by another vet if you have concerns?
Also, assuming the animal is clinically stable to move, could lady at work have it transferred to her vets post-op?
Do you refer to the RCVS, like a human would refer a doctor to the GMC?

Advice gratefully received, thanks.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I've known of dogs to be moved once stable enough - however they did warn our friends should anything happen during the move, the owners and owners only are responsible for the dog during that time.
Not sure about complaining :confused: is there a senior vet or manager she could voice her concerns to?

Also just found this for you;
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=89916&int1stParentNodeID=89644
I haven't read through it all but there might be something useful there :) I guess the RCVS is a very good place to start.

good luck to your friend in this and I hope the dog pulls through!!!
K x

china

Visit site
i believe you would go through the rcvs who should investigate or would point you in the right direction.

Flicker

Visit site
I've known of dogs to be moved once stable enough - however they did warn our friends should anything happen during the move, the owners and owners only are responsible for the dog during that time.
Not sure about complaining :confused: is there a senior vet or manager she could voice her concerns to?

Also just found this for you;
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=89916&int1stParentNodeID=89644
I haven't read through it all but there might be something useful there :) I guess the RCVS is a very good place to start.

good luck to your friend in this and I hope the dog pulls through!!!
K x

Thanks for this!

Unfortunately the vet is the senior vet - it is a 1-person practice with the odd junior from time to time...

MontyandZoom

Visit site
The RCVS is the place to go for complaints.

However, please bear in mind that you will be potentially be causing a whole heap of trouble for the vet in question. If the place really was 'filthy' and you think that there is a post-operative infection as a result then she should report them.

I am starting at vet school in September and I do get a bit defensive since there is alot of vet-bashing on this forum and people don't realise just how serious an allegation of professional misconduct is.

There is not too much detail in your original post, but depending on the seriousness of the allegations and what exactly was making her 'uncomfortable' a word with the senior vet at the practice might be a fairer approach.

ETS Just read next post. If a one vet practice then the RCVS is the only place to go!

jack9

Visit site
The RCVS is the place to go for complaints.

However, please bear in mind that you will be potentially be causing a whole heap of trouble for the vet in question. If the place really was 'filthy' and you think that there is a post-operative infection as a result then she should report them.

I am starting at vet school in September and I do get a bit defensive since there is alot of vet-bashing on this forum and people don't realise just how serious an allegation of professional misconduct is.

There is not too much detail in your original post, but depending on the seriousness of the allegations and what exactly was making her 'uncomfortable' a word with the senior vet at the practice might be a fairer approach.

ETS Just read next post. If a one vet practice then the RCVS is the only place to go!

If a persons not happy then RCVS is the way to go..... vet bashing or not - if they have nothing to hide then theres no problems.

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
If you feel a complaint needs to be made then, as others have said, the RCVS is your first port of call.

Was your friend ever warned of the potential risks/complications of the procedure? Informed consent is very important (informed being the operative word) whenever a procedure is carried out and ideally a consentform should be signed by the owner.

It depends a bit on the nature of the dog's condition/procedure/complications. There are many many complaints made to the RCVS about vets every year and very few are upheld. But that should not deter you from approaching them if you feel you have cause for complaint- I'm just saying you may not get the outcome you want.

It's a shame your friend has had a bad experience and I sincerely hope her dog is on the mend soon.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
I had to report a vet once,he refused to come out to my horse who needed emergancy treatment,the vet was drunk./Luckily I had another vet,who travelled 2o miles to attend my horse.Reported to the people named on here.Nothing came of it tho.