Reporting a farrier

holeymoley

Visit site
I’m interested to hear your thoughts on this and whether anyone has ever reported a farrier before.

I thought about it at the time but there was just too much going on at the time and it was touch and go for my guy. After showing photos to a very highly thought of and knowledgeable lady and a few others at my new yard, they insist that I should report the farrier. I’ve also since heard that he has been reported before and also slandered other farriers and been fined. The incident happened in February 2019 so unsure whether the ship has sailed for reporting. I have photos. Thankfully it was a long road but my horse has made a full recovery so I’m not ‘in it‘ for a monetary claiming, purely to alert them of how rubbish this farrier is.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Please do report him. I was going to report one, but the farrier who took the horse on (both my vet and the new farrier agreed that the shoeing was an absolute shocker) dissuaded me.

The way farriery complaints work (or did in 2018) is that the complaint is dealt with regionally by a farrier from the same region as that where the faulty farriery took place. In my case, the regional rep was the same farrier that I was going to complain about :oops:. In the end, and because the horse was out on loan when this happened, I let it drop. So that crap farrier is still likely out there laming horses.

fusspot

Visit site
It may be worth a try but I will be honest do not be surprised that sadly it may not even be looked at.
We are good friends with my farrier and in a lot of conversations we have he says he cannot believe what they let go.Sadly as in a lot of associations, it can be very cliquey and the FRC definetly look after there own.If you knew how many complaints they have and how many even get looked at, you would be very disappointed.
Somebody I know of’s life was made hell after she put in a complaint against a farrier,it was thrown straight out but my god did she know about it when it got back to him.
Word of mouth in his work area is sometimes the way to get the word out but a lot....not all...have the gift of the gab and somehow manage to turn it around.

holeymoley

Visit site
Thank you. I’m still somewhat on the fence about reporting it. I don’t want hassle from it. The farrier doesn’t work in the area I’m in, would the registration council tell him who had made the complaint? Obviously they’d have to say what the complaint was and that might put 2 and 2 together. Not sure what to do.

fusspot

Visit site
Thank you. I’m still somewhat on the fence about reporting it. I don’t want hassle from it. The farrier doesn’t work in the area I’m in, would the registration council tell him who had made the complaint? Obviously they’d have to say what the complaint was and that might put 2 and 2 together. Not sure what to do.

They wouldn’t necessarily give the persons details although when I have seen FRC newsletters in the past...any farriers in a tribunal or had a case against them it sometimes says the persons name...sometimes it says person A etc.They will have to give him full details of what’s been brought against him so he can defend or admit so I suppose it depends how many horses he has done the same thing to and if he could then work out who has made the complaint.
It’s a very difficult one.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
As fusspot says, the farrier who is being complained about would have to know the full details of the complaint so that they could prepare a defence against it. I do not know if you could keep your anonymity through that.

The farrier who took my mare on and worked to correct the damage was a great chap, but was older, and freely said that he didn’t want the hassle of testifying against a fairly local ‘big cheese’ training farrier. Also, as my mare was out on loan then, I didn’t know if it was the ‘big cheese’ farrier himself or one of his trainees who had actually nailed the shoes on. ‘Big cheese‘ should never have ok’d the way her feet were left, though.