Reprimanding

Princess16

Visit site
I have seen people on here saying that they have reprimanded their horse when it's being naughty etc. just wondered how you administer this punishment do you smack, tell off etc ?

TattygareMare

Visit site
A well timed, loud 'OI!' does the trick normally. I then carry on as if nothing happened.

Same. My mare is 99% an angel. I have given her a smack once, but this was a light flick on the shoulder which makes more noise than creating any pain just to get her attention. She was being silly and had nearly knocked me over and was completely in my space, she hadnt responded to my voice and was simply being rude. That was not long after I had bought her and now my voice does the trick.

Equi

Visit site
Yes a loud oi is what I do. if they are being bolshy and in my face I would give them a wave or elbow.

Princess16

Visit site
Thanks guys. I've usually just shouted never hit him but elbowing if he's in my space sounds like a good idea.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Princess16.....are you asking from the point of view if you are on the ground handling a horse or on top riding it, or maybe both??

gunnergundog

Visit site
On the ground I don't ride.

OK...a lot depends on the type of issues you are facing, plus the age of the horse in question.

The advice you have had re vocal correction is good and works for many.

Is it bringing in from the field/turning out or where do you have issues? Also, size of horse, age of horse, more info pls....what precisely is the horse doing? Rearing? Barging? Bogging off?

Princess16

Visit site
Thanks Gunner but it was just a general post really. He is a 9 yr old Connie gelding really well behaved but like all other ponies is prone to acting silly so just wondered how people reprimanded their ponies.

Rivendell

Visit site
I generally try to ignore the silliness first. I'm not big and scary enough to really growl at my horses, and a misspoken growl can sound to them like positive reinforcement! So I let them prance around and simply try to control the lead.

If its getting a bit out of hand, I psych myself up to use my best monster-like voice. I learnt this after hearing my instructor growl her horse and the tone in her voice even scared me!

I almost never hit my horses - I don't think it really does much good in most situations, and also my reflexes are far too slow! In saying that I do give my horse a slight smack when she occasionally goes into a blind panic; it brings her attention back to me and she calms down.

I do have a big goofy gelding and everything he does is for attention - so I just permanently ignore any of his bad behaviour regardless (In saying that he doesn't do anything genuinely naughty - just cheekiness)

flirtygerty

Visit site
Ideal scenario, never hit a horse, they try so hard to please. Having said that, they can sorely try your patience, I have 3 large horses and a young 14hh cob, all of mine respond to the voice, if my gelding is being a bully, he gets growled at, a sharp, "you horrible animal" normally has him licking and chewing, (his sorry mam) my 20+ yr old mare got told off big style recently, slapped with the lead rope and very nearly kicked up the bum (I missed a 16 2 WB) when she didn't want to go back to the mudbath I have as a field, she pulled away from the gate and because of the mud, I couldn't hold her, she wrenched my stomach, knee and elbow, I looked pregnant the next day and didn't get to work, everytime I let go of her headcollar to open gates, she tried to take off, a swear box would have been overflowing that day, but that was not her norm, she is normally compliant, but if I had a gun that day I probably would have shot her, most times I use a very soft voice, so when I growl at them they know somethings amiss

3OldPonies

Visit site
Usually a loud OI or a growl at them does the trick. However, I have been known, when they've done something that has caused me pain to give them a sharp smack. This is usually reserved these days for a friend's very pushy, youngster who is rather fond of taking lumps out of people with his teeth. With me and his YO he is most often OK and the growling works, but her arms are black and blue from him using her as a chew stick when she's leading him in from the field and he's not going to do the same to me!

Auslander

Visit site
I generally try to ignore the silliness first. I'm not big and scary enough to really growl at my horses, and a misspoken growl can sound to them like positive reinforcement! So I let them prance around and simply try to control the lead.

If its getting a bit out of hand, I psych myself up to use my best monster-like voice. I learnt this after hearing my instructor growl her horse and the tone in her voice even scared me!

I almost never hit my horses - I don't think it really does much good in most situations, and also my reflexes are far too slow! In saying that I do give my horse a slight smack when she occasionally goes into a blind panic; it brings her attention back to me and she calms down.

I do have a big goofy gelding and everything he does is for attention - so I just permanently ignore any of his bad behaviour regardless (In saying that he doesn't do anything genuinely naughty - just cheekiness)

I don't agree with beating horses, but I also don't agree with allowing them to mess about with no action taken - how are they going to learn that undesirable behaviour is undesirable if they're never told otherwise. My guys are big, sharp and can be silly, so it's imperative that they know the difference between right and wrong. If they don't toe the line, they are told - either verbally, or physically - whichever seems most appropriate at the time.

Alf is very civilised most of the time, but he will occasionally forget his manners. If he walks all over me, he gets a poke in shoulder/ribs - if he starts bouncing around, I'll say "Ah-Ah" sharply, and he stops. If, like yesterday, he snaps at me while I'm doing his mane (he thought I was pulling it - I was actually using comb and scissors!), he'll get a couple of verbal warnings, and if he does it again, he'll get a sharp slap on the side of his nose as he swings it at me to have another go! He does't take it personally, because he knows that biting isn't on. If I smacked his nose for no reason, he'd have a fit!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Mr Blue Pipe is in charge of public relations, courtesy and etiquette. He is a man of few words but never ignored, most of the time he leans against the wall being idle, but if he has a reason to move it tends to be very quick and can sting.

Nudibranch

Visit site
I think it depends on the horse. My last mare never put a foot wrong, ever, so I wouldn't even know what worked best for her! The TB is a big softy and a quick growl gets him back in line if he decides the spring grass in the next field is too attractive. The youngster is big, clumsy and sharp (great combination) and most of the time a growl is enough. He kicked out while being led once, just in play but he got a single, swift smack with the schooling whip and hasn't done it again. I'm afraid at his size and weight it's not acceptable to dance around at the end of the rope showing your soles. He went through a biting phase at two and for him a growl combined with a quick palm slap to the chest worked best. He couldn't see it so there was no possibility of him thinking we were having a nice game of biting. However for the TB, a slap would be way too much!

LadyLuck1977

Visit site
Voice works best for mine. you can smack her and she is like a defiant child if she could speak she would definitely say "yeah and, is that the best you can do" but then she is a very opinionated Arab mare.

ihatework

Visit site
Depends on the horse and what they have done.

It is very rare for me to use a physical reprimand but when I do it's usually a lightning reaction and a very clear message to the horse that whatever they did was completely unacceptable.

Funnily enough my horses are generally pretty polite creatures to be around.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Most of the time no or hey works, said in a sharp, growling voice. Very rarely have I ever had to tap a horse for naughtiness with a whip (when riding), as I don't like hitting them, apart from my previous horse who definitely needed it when he was being plain naughty and disobedient.

frostyfingers

Visit site
My rescue pony who is immature and not particularly mannerly at the moment gets a couple of verbal no warnings if he's nipping or pushing, I also find he doesn't like it if I point a finger at him when I say no and he usually backs off. If he goes further and nips he gets a finger tap on his nose and that seems to do the trick. I don't want him cowering from me and try to keep it verbal at all times, but every now and then he over steps the mark.

My big horse is generally amenable although when he's being washed or brushed after hunting and can be a little free with his teeth and legs he does get a slap on the shoulder or rump after a couple of warnings. He knows full well that I won't have it. He has kicked out and made contact with me once (not after hunting so with no excuse for being tired) and he got a fairly hefty whack with the palm of my hand on his bottom and an earful. It hurt my hand more than him I suspect, but he's not done it again.