Reproofing Rugs In A Washing Machine?

acorn92x

Visit site
I have brought a couple of rugs from a lady who recently had her horse PTS. They are great rugs, both Weatherbeeta however they are FILTHY - covered in mud and are very dusty from being in storage. I'd ideally like to freshen them up and given them a reproof before putting them on my girl and was hoping to do it in the washing machine with the Nikwax rug wash and then the reproofer - has anyone had any experiences with this and what were the results like? I don't want to send them off to be done professionally as have had bad experiences with this ruining rugs previously and I don't particularly want to pay the princely sum of £20 for a re-proof but have to wash it before hand too (She doesn't reproof rugs unless they have been washed previously). I don't normally wash any of mine however these are quite foul even by my standards and to avoid my poor girl being taunted in the field for wearing gross rugs, I feel that these do need a clean! :p Any experiences with this?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I do it in a washer it's a top loader though .
Once they are dry I give them a spray with fabsil.

If they are awfully dirty I might scrub and hose with a brush then dry before putting in the washer .
I might also wash twice in the washer before I rinsed in the reproofer as it just fails if the rug is not clean .

picolenicole

Visit site
As Goldenstar said if they are very dirty I use the hose and a brush let them dry a bit (so I can pick them up) then put in the washer.

I use a water proofer from B&Q their own make about £20 a bottle, it's for brickwork but also does fabric (says so on the back) I have done three rugs with it FAB stuff and only used about 1/4 of the bottle it does smell a bit once on your horse for a day or so the smell goes. So much cheaper than paying someone as last time to do three it was about £25 a rug!!!!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Have a look at this thread from a few weeks ago, in which I asked a similar question :).

https://forums-secure.horseandhound...proof-best-application-method&highlight=proof

It all depends on what load capacity your washing machine has and how much fill the rug has. My 9kg Miele washing machine copes fine with a 6'3" no fill Rambo neckless rug, but I wouldn't put a rug with any fill in it.

The old standby of soaking the rug via a hose pipe and much brushing off of the filth, followed by several rinse/repeats is the safest option for a fill rug. Then spray or sponge application of the reproofer.

acorn92x

Visit site
We have an 11kg Whirlpool Aqualtis washing machine which copes fine with duvets, pillows and I've washed my girls fleece in their before along with her travel boots. She takes a 6'0 rug and the dirty rug in question is a medium weight with no neck. Thanks so far guys!

Goldenstar

Visit site
We have an 11kg Whirlpool Aqualtis washing machine which copes fine with duvets, pillows and I've washed my girls fleece in their before along with her travel boots. She takes a 6'0 rug and the dirty rug in question is a medium weight with no neck. Thanks so far guys!

I think it will be fine , I always rinse out the washer with by running it with nothing in it afterwards .

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I do the rainsheets in my machine at home- 7kg capacity. (as well as fleeces and stable rugs up to about 100g). I use Nikwax tech wash to wash then TX direct wash in reproofer. I clear out the drain after as it can get clogged with mud and hair.

Mine wouldn't take a mw turnout but your is a bigger capacity so should be fine.

Izzwizz

Visit site
Goodness some of you pay a fortune for a wash and re-proof....I wouldnt have a job to do if I charged that amount! I run my own rug wash business and use Nikwax rug wash and re-proofer all the time, never had a problem with it. If your machine can turn the rug with plenty of room to spare then you should get an even coverage of the re-proofer, if not it will have a patchy finish. I have 2 big industrial machines so rugs have plenty of room. The re-proofing should be done on a separate cycle, thats how I do it. I charge £17.50 for a wash and re-proof. Good luck with it!

acorn92x

Visit site
I did it! It looks like the re-proof has taken as I tested the rug by pouring some water on it this morning and it just slid straight off! :D I left it to dry inside overnight and it looks so much better for a wash and reproof so really glad I did it! My mother in law is going to repair a small tear on the rug but I'll test it out later this week - so far so good though, very happy! I would just say though that despite the fact that I have an 11KG washing machine, there was not THAT much room left in the drum once I had put the rug in there so I would definitely not want a drum any smaller than this to comfortably wash rugs in! As Izzwizz said, I'm not sure the re-proof would have taken if I didn't have so much room left in there. I'll confirm when I've tried the rug but so far, I would most definitely rather wash and reproof myself than send my rugs away.

Izzwizz, I live in an expensive area of the country which is what I put it down to. I lived in Essex when I was a child and things were considerably cheaper there (Although we are talking 5-10 years ago too as I'm now 23). Where abouts are you?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Glad it worked! I know what you mean about having plenty of room left in the drum. My no fill rugs are fine in my 9kg machine but the 200g rugs were a bit squashed, although I can get them in and out of the machine easily enough. The results with the 200g's were not as good.

Also, I put all rugs and horsey items in a horseware wash bag, to protect our lovely state of the art new Miele from errant surcingles, buckles and hair etc. This probably reduces the efficacy of the rinse cycle a bit, but as it's our only household washing machine, I daren't not. Even so, I tend to do the majorly dirty stuff on a day when OH is not at home :D.

I'm also not too sure whether rug proof is septic tank friendly, I suspect not..

acorn92x

Visit site
Also, I put all rugs and horsey items in a horseware wash bag, to protect our lovely state of the art new Miele from errant surcingles, buckles and hair etc. This probably reduces the efficacy of the rinse cycle a bit, but as it's our only household washing machine, I daren't not. Even so, I tend to do the majorly dirty stuff on a day when OH is not at home :D.

I'm also not too sure whether rug proof is septic tank friendly, I suspect not..

Hahaha! I brought one of them bags too for the very same reason except I live with boyfriend and his mother and neither would be impressed if their washing was covered in black white horse hair :) I do the same - when they go out, everything gets hauled out of my car and stuck in the wash! I didn't bother putting the rug in the bag to wash and reproof though as I didn't know how it would take so just risked the potential moans and put it on a 90 degree wash after I had got my rug out! :D

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I pay £16 to get a rug washed and reproofed where I am. With the no fills, I have some cheaper ones that only cost £25 in the first place so it doesn't make sense to send them to be done. They come out really well in my home machine. Luckily I live on my own so no one to complain.