Reproofing turnout without washing?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
What are the best ways to reproof a turnout rug without putting it in the wash these days please? Managed to get a Horseware Rambo secondhand for a very good price, for our loan pony, but it’s rather clean so I guess they’ve washed it. Thought I’d reproof it to be on the safe side but don’t rug our own anymore and am totally out of touch with the best options.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I brush off as much mud as I possibly can with a dry stiff brush then if it still looks muddy a well use warm water and give it a scrub then leave to dry.

I then slap on some fabsil gold with a large paintbrush and the rain just runs off the rug its great stuff.

I also use liners under my rugs to keep them cleaner inside if your not wanting to wash them it stops them getting really greasy and smelly.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Can you spray with Nikwax? I think there’s an option to wash with it in the machine which is meant to re-proof it, no idea how effective that is.

I like the sound of just painting on a product, very practical!

Widgeon

Visit site
I then slap on some fabsil gold with a large paintbrush and the rain just runs off the rug its great stuff.

Good tip - I'm going to try this, thanks! My cob lives in a no fill Gallop turnout all winter - we're clipping this afternoon and when I got his rug out yesterday is really pretty grotty - smelly and greasy dirty inside. Thinking I might put him in a spare and wash the whole thing with hot water and soap. Then I could Fabsil it....I've got a mesh sheet that I plan for him to wear under the turnout this winter to avoid a repeat of the smelly greasy issue.

Chianti

Visit site
I brush off as much mud as I possibly can with a dry stiff brush then if it still looks muddy a well use warm water and give it a scrub then leave to dry.

I also use liners under my rugs to keep them cleaner inside if your not wanting to wash them it stops them getting really greasy and smelly.

Does it affect how breathable they are?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Fabsil Gold is brilliant stuff. Paint on in an open space as it’s very stinky. Leave to dry and watch the water bead off the rug. Do my no fill Rhinos every year after putting them through the machine on a cool non bio setting. I use the liner system and it’s never affected the breathability so no they have never got damp inside.