reputable breeder question

Country_gal

Visit site
I will try and keep a long story short while still giving all the facts -

I bought my whippet boy when he was one of, who I believe to be the breeder. He had sold the pup on and said he wasn't being looked after so he took him back and needed a good home for him (all my dogs are rescues/rehomes) so I bought him. I have his KC papers though I have never had an intention to show or breed. I have traced many of his family and this little dog has literally been my best friend for the last 4 years. I adore him. however he has recently been diagnosed as epileptic. In doing my research (and as is common sense really) an epileptic dog should never be bred, nor should his direct relations as it could be hereditary.

So I felt it only fair and sensible to let the breeder know, not least because there is another breeder in Scotland who has his half brother whom repeatedly sires litters. I expect nothing from the breeder, my dog is my dog and is a loving pet and as far as his health goes I will do/give him whatever he needs. I just thought it was sensible to make him aware.

I struggled to get in touch with him so sent above mentioned breeder multiple messages explaining the situation and asking if she could have the breeder (who she knows through the dogs) to be in touch with me so I could explain.

I have been ignored multiple times and its bugging me! Even though I am not looking for anything from them it annoys me that they care so little not only about a dog that they have bred, but also that they are continuing to breed without any concern for the possibility of epilepsy being in the blood line. I can't help but think they are ignoring me as this could potentially disrupt how much money they are making from these beautiful dogs.

I really don't want to make a drama out of nothing but I just think it seems wrong. Can anyone offer any advice etc? If you were a breeder would you want to know and at least aknowledge the information? It makes me wonder did the epilepsy show itself when the pup was young hence why he was so quickly passed on to me.

Any help would be appreciated

thewonderhorse

Visit site
Genuine breeders who care might care but to be honest this person sounds like a 'greeder'. They will see the ££ signs and will probably already be aware that there is epilepsy in the line. x

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I would certainly want to know and I think you've done all you can to inform them.

The only other thing I can think of is to inform the Kennel Club of the circumstances ( along with the breeding of the dog) and perhaps they might flag it in some way - or then again, they might not. While it smacks of big brother, I can't think of any other way to get it through to them as after all, they're proving by their ignoring you that they're only in it for the money; any decent breeder would have stopped using that dog as soon as they had heard from you and had theirs tested.

Country_gal

Visit site
Genuine breeders who care might care but to be honest this person sounds like a 'greeder'. They will see the ££ signs and will probably already be aware that there is epilepsy in the line. x

This is my thinking. I am sure they are only seeing £ signs which is what bothers me but I wanted to check I wasn't barking up the wrong tree....the dogs are all KC registered so I would have thought there would be caution there but I am not an expert on the ethics of breeding...as I said mine have all been rescues/rehomes....

thewonderhorse

Visit site
This is my thinking. I am sure they are only seeing £ signs which is what bothers me but I wanted to check I wasn't barking up the wrong tree....the dogs are all KC registered so I would have thought there would be caution there but I am not an expert on the ethics of breeding...as I said mine have all been rescues/rehomes....

I think you are absolutely right. Unfortunately some people have no morals x

Country_gal

Visit site
I would certainly want to know and I think you've done all you can to inform them.

The only other thing I can think of is to inform the Kennel Club of the circumstances ( along with the breeding of the dog) and perhaps they might flag it in some way - or then again, they might not. While it smacks of big brother, I can't think of any other way to get it through to them as after all, they're proving by their ignoring you that they're only in it for the money; any decent breeder would have stopped using that dog as soon as they had heard from you and had theirs tested.

I actually sent the Kennel Club an email this Morning just explaining. that way I know I have done all I can. It does anger me that people can only see the ££ and seem to disregard welfare yet are on dog forums and groups claiming how much they love their whippets....I don't suppose there is much more I can do!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I suppose you could always go onto a whippet forum complete with your OP on here and just slip in your dog's breeding and ask what you should do; is epilepsy a big problem in the breed and so on. You don't need to name the breeder, just knowing the prefix will be enough to give people warning; after all, some might have been planning on using that dog at some point.

Bellasophia

Visit site
Is there a whippet database for the breed? Put your dog's name there and state his illness....and his name in bright lights!!!
I have recently found out my imported Swedish ,st poodle dog is a carrier for DM.His litter brother in uk is also a carrier which prompted me to test my boy.
we both informed the breeder...uk was told it isn't in her lines,I was ignored.
the U.K. Dog has already sired DM carriers( tested).I am fine as I will never breed my dog,but like you it irks me..
Now I hear the breeder has died and her son is in charge..so I wrote to him...guess what,I'm still being ignored.
Meanwhile my dogs litter sister is going to be bred to a dog whose grandfather is ( guess who?) our dogs father...line breeding at its best....in this scenario the litter could well produce DM dogs....I wrote to this breeder too,advising her to test the future parents...and Im Ignored again...
Like you it's frustrating and infuriating...my dogs parents are both world champions,twice , and tested extensively APART from DM which "isn't in the breed."
So,O.P....don't beat yourself up..you've informed the breeder...your conscience is clear.
For me it isn't they are greedy,but they are kennel blind and refuse to accept their lines are fallible...pride will bring them down but it will take a few generations of breeding and several affected pups to bring them to their senses.
Meanwhile my dog and his litter brothers results are on the st poodle database health registry...for all to see and backed up by the fact they are tested by a uk genetics lab.hopefully it will help future breeders to use the info to better their breeding programs.

Country_gal

Visit site
Is there a whippet database for the breed? Put your dog's name there and state his illness....and his name in bright lights!!!
I have recently found out my imported Swedish ,st poodle dog is a carrier for DM.His litter brother in uk is also a carrier which prompted me to test my boy.
we both informed the breeder...uk was told it isn't in her lines,I was ignored.
the U.K. Dog has already sired DM carriers( tested).I am fine as I will never breed my dog,but like you it irks me..
Now I hear the breeder has died and her son is in charge..so I wrote to him...guess what,I'm still being ignored.
Meanwhile my dogs litter sister is going to be bred to a dog whose grandfather is ( guess who?) our dogs father...line breeding at its best....in this scenario the litter could well produce DM dogs....I wrote to this breeder too,advising her to test the future parents...and Im Ignored again...
Like you it's frustrating and infuriating...my dogs parents are both world champions,twice , and tested extensively APART from DM which "isn't in the breed."
So,O.P....don't beat yourself up..you've informed the breeder...your conscience is clear.
For me it isn't they are greedy,but they are kennel blind and refuse to accept their lines are fallible...pride will bring them down but it will take a few generations of breeding and several affected pups to bring them to their senses.
Meanwhile my dog and his litter brothers results are on the st poodle database health registry...for all to see and backed up by the fact they are tested by a uk genetics lab.hopefully it will help future breeders to use the info to better their breeding programs.

Yes he is on the whippet archives, I never actually thought to update this stating the condition...seems obvious but it never crossed my mind! That is exactly what I will do thank you! x

Bellasophia

Visit site
..good...and every whippet forum you write on,and every time you talk about his condition,have his kennel name at the bottom,in your signature.....in the end your story will be heard.

If this is your first dog with epilepsy start a new post...I've got some useful links.

Fiona

Visit site
Some breeders are odd aren't they :(

I bought my terrier from a local lady about 10 miles away. Checked her out with local contacts etc before I bought etc...

Before I bought her we were txting back and forward etc making arrangements.

A fortnight I decided she might like to know how well pup was getting on so I sent her a nice txt. Did I get a reply :( :(

I know this isn't the same a notifying of a health issue, but it has made me feel uneasy for some reason, even though I'm not sure why..

Fiona

Country_gal

Visit site
Some breeders are odd aren't they :(

I bought my terrier from a local lady about 10 miles away. Checked her out with local contacts etc before I bought etc...

Before I bought her we were txting back and forward etc making arrangements.

A fortnight I decided she might like to know how well pup was getting on so I sent her a nice txt. Did I get a reply :( :(

I know this isn't the same a notifying of a health issue, but it has made me feel uneasy for some reason, even though I'm not sure why..

Fiona

I just think that as people who care about dogs and their welfare etc we find it strange when people who have actually specifically bred the dogs...have no interest as soon as the money is in their pocket

Fiona

Visit site
Exactly C_G....

If I had bred a litter of five beautiful teddy bears like my LO I would be desperate to keep in touch with the purchasers :(

Fiona

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I thought I had done my homework with my setter's breeders. when I sent a xmas card to them the first year (he was 9months) I basically got a small note back saying that they were glad he had a good home but not to bother again, it was too much work for them to keep in touch with all of them. made me feel a bit crap tbh although couldnt really put my finger on as to why but hey ho.

Think you can do all you can OP (except maybe mentioning it on FB.forums as suggested) I hope you get him stabilised soon (I have an epileptic dog too)

satinbaze

Visit site
Just to let you know some breeders do care. I have only bred 1 litter but kept in touch with all the pups especially in the first year. When lily had her GDV I let all the puppy owners know and told them the signs and symptoms. BTW lily has never been bred from due to her bloat issues. When Maya the mother of the litter died last year at the age of 13 I let them all know.
I feel responsible for any puppy related to my dogs even the children and grandchildren of one of my pups.

Clodagh

Visit site
The breeder of my young lab is a professional breeder, she has two or three litters a year. I always email when we reach a particular milestone and we always get a nice reply. I am sure a lot of people don't bother or I am sure she would go mad, thinking how many she has bred over the years!

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
the breeder of my bedlington keeps in touch, and i with her, and also with my dogs litter brothers owner. I know that should I die then Flodden will be welcomed back by her with open arms and would have a home for life with her. And thats what a reputable breeder should be like. The welfare of their breedlines is paramount. Not a money making exercise.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
I love getting Christmas cards (and nowadays facebook pictures)of pups I have bred . Can't imagine why any breeder wouldn't want them, it's hard enough letting the pups go !

Country_gal

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's views. It really bugs me to see repetitive litters being sired by a dog whose owner has been informed of the epilepsy and she won't even acknowledge it!!!! I suppose I am fighting a losing battle with this one!!