Reputable dealers?

Annagain

Visit site
The search for a horse isn't proving very fruitful so I'm thinking of trying a different tack and contacting some reputable dealers to see if they have anything or, at the very least to sew a seed in their minds as it's the Goresbridge sales the weekend after next. I've already contacted a couple who have nothing at the moment but are going to the sales and expect to have a lorry-load in a couple of weeks so I'd like to be in their minds when they're buying (although I'm after exactly what 90% of people are after so maybe it's not necessary as they'll buy that type anyway!) Can anybody recommend any reputable dealers - preferably in the South West / West Mids (anywhere within 2 hours of Cardiff) please?

Also has anyone heard of the following dealers - I've not found anything on the dodgy dealers groups about them which I hope is a good thing!
Emily Chambers (EJC Equine)
Robbie Headd
Probus Farm Horse Sales
Severn Equestrian Services

TPO

Visit site
Might be worth contacting Avonmill Equestrian.

They are in Scotland so out of your 2hr zone however lots of people go to them from downsouth. They aren't far from the airports and I'm sure have collected/delivered viewers from the airport. They are on excellent motorway routes if you fancied a road trip. Sometimes it works out cheaper arranged to see horses up here and shipping them back (generally lower prices than down south)

Annagain

Visit site

They are in Scotland so out of your 2hr zone however lots of people go to them from downsouth. They aren't far from the airports and I'm sure have collected/delivered viewers from the airport. They are on excellent motorway routes if you fancied a road trip. Sometimes it works out cheaper arranged to see horses up here and shipping them back (generally lower prices than down south)

Thanks - I'm actually going on holiday to Scotland in July (travelling around in our camper van) so I might just happen to pass by (as far as OH is aware ;) )

Shavings

Visit site
I cant help with the ones you have mentioned but last year when i went looking i ran in to a few dodgy people but 2 lovely dealers who i would recommend, pm me if you want to know who as i am not sure if we are aloud to post here.

one was stock on Trent area and the other was north west so not ideal for you, but still closer then me! (took 4 hour ferry ride for me to see them)

spacefaer

Visit site
Severn Equestrian Services and Emily Chambers are reputable. Don't know the other two

I'd recommend Lucie Turner who is West Midlands and Abbie Hart who is slightly out of the two hours in East Sussex but she is very good. Both very straight.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Can't help with the ones you've asked about but would avoid Abbie Hart like the plague. We went to view one with her a few years back now and were shocked at the state of him. I posted about him on here at the time as I came very close to buying him out of pity. Instead, thanks to the advice of others we ended up reporting her due to how poor he was, as were others on the yard.

onemoretime

Visit site

I had a terrible experience with Avonmill and so have others. PM me if you want to know more - horse was drugged up!

onemoretime

Visit site
Sadly yes, she caught me well and truly. Its always best to go onto the dodgy dealer pages and ask on there or do a search on a dealer you are thinking of going to.

Annagain

Visit site
Sadly yes, she caught me well and truly. Its always best to go onto the dodgy dealer pages and ask on there or do a search on a dealer you are thinking of going to.
Thanks all - if it's the case (pun intended) I'm thinking of I remember it but hadn't twigged the name as always thought of the username on here rather than the business name.

canteron

Visit site
Just make sure you ask the right question and really listen to what they are saying .... don’t just hear what you want to hear!!

I bought from a local dealer and the horse is exactly as described ..... but only because I really listened. For example they had got it going in all 3 paces - with a much better rider than me who made the horse look good - but on questioning they had missed all the ‘building blocks’ of getting there - remember their sole job was to sell the horse, so it was no surprise that I am now filling in the gaps to make it a genuinely confident all rounder. Good luck

Asha

Visit site
Out of those you have listed I highly recommend Severn . We bought our daughters horse Finn off Helen. He was exactly as described, in fact they undersold him

Annagain

Visit site
Annagain - send me a message with basic requirements - I only have a few but you never know.
I contacted you via Facebook a couple of weeks back. You said you don’t have what I need, only an unbroken 4 year old and green grey 5 year old. Both sound lovely but not for me. I need a gelding as my old boy is on a geldings only yard. I won’t move him at his age and can’t have two in different yards as I work full time.

lamlyn2012

Visit site
HM sports horses in Shropshire have some nice ones and I can recommend from personal experience.
It's also worth looking at SmithsFarm Horses, Eccleshall, Near Stafford. They are very genuine but unfortunatley don't have that many as they put a lot of time into producing them.

spacefaer

Visit site
Can't help with the ones you've asked about but would avoid Abbie Hart like the plague. We went to view one with her a few years back now and were shocked at the state of him. I posted about him on here at the time as I came very close to buying him out of pity. Instead, thanks to the advice of others we ended up reporting her due to how poor he was, as were others on the yard.

Each to their own and your experience was some time ago. I've had two from her in the last year and they were exactly as described and I can't fault either the horses or the service I received from Abbie. She couldn't have been more honest about both of them.

Annagain

Visit site
Are HM and Severn the same people? I only ask as they're in the same area and from what I can see are both run by someone called Helen. Severn have a stunning 4yr old but way out of my price range - and only 4 but looks so beautifully educated I'd be tempted if I could afford him!

Asha

Visit site
Are HM and Severn the same people? I only ask as they're in the same area and from what I can see are both run by someone called Helen. Severn have a stunning 4yr old but way out of my price range - and only 4 but looks so beautifully educated I'd be tempted if I could afford him!

HM is run by Helens mum Amanda, they did do it together, but think Helen set upon her own now. Hence severn

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site
Probus Farm Horse Sales is very close to me. I don't know them personally but have heard mixed reviews locally. I think it depends a bit on exactly what you're looking for.

Annagain

Visit site
HM is run by Helens mum Amanda, they did do it together, but think Helen set upon her own now. Hence severn
Ah right - only heard very positive things about both HM and Severn so will definitely get in touch wit them.

Annagain

Visit site
Probus Farm Horse Sales is very close to me. I don't know them personally but have heard mixed reviews locally. I think it depends a bit on exactly what you're looking for.
Thanks - any idea what they're good with and not so good with? I'm after a nice riding club all rounder in a nut shell.

SlinkyMinxy

Visit site
They bring a lot of the horses over from Ireland, so tend to be mostly cob/sport horse types. I have heard that some are very green, which is fine if you are happy to take on a project. I don't think that flatwork is their speciality, so if you're looking for something to progress in dressage, they're probably not for you but if you want something to go hunting or jumping, then they might have something suitable.

I think the guy that runs Probus is called Luke Comley.