Requisite T/O rugs sizing

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I never usually buy Robinson's rugs (or anything from them!!) but am in need of something quickly and cheaply so looking at their Requisite 150g full neck turn out.

Are they true to size, does anyone know?
Thanks

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Ok thanks - any suggestions for a cheap & cheerful T/O? I don't like Amigo & really don't want to spend the money on expensive brands as it's just to tide me over til I can get my existing rugs back from loaner.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
If you want cheap and cheerful I bought a rug on ebay from Shropshire equestrian or something like that and it's really great! My rug wrecker has had it on for two weeks and it's like new :)

holeymoley

Visit site
Try eBay for last season stock . If you have a go outdoors near you you can get shires reasonably cheap. Or equestrian clearance if your not fussy on colours .

teddypops

Visit site
I have a requisite turnout rug, just used it for its 3rd winter and it's absolutely fine. Slightly small sizing as it fits my pony who is between sizes well. Other than that Shires rugs are really good and true to size but my favourites are Amigos!😁

Kafairia

Visit site
I have two ebay rugs:
-Sheldon : its a med-heavy full neck t/o. I love it, sizing is nice on my TB and true to size. Its a good quality and I'd say its as good as one of my older Horseware ireland rugs, and feels of similar quality to weatherbeeta.Tbh, I wouldn't hesitate to order again from them. It was £30, maybe slightly less. Just needed a cheap t/o for my new horse at the time, but I love it.

-Harrison Howard: okay, so you can tell its not a premier brand, and whne I opened the bag it absolutely stank, so I aired it outside on the washing line for two days and the smell eventually went, my father reckoned it was the waterproofer that made it smell? But anyway, it was a lightweight simple t/o, hasn't leaked or anything, and it looks quite smart really. I like it, its simple cheap cheerful, I think I paid £25-£35 and I would probably get one from then again. Neither have ripped but my horse looks after his rugs!

I love my Sheldon especially, and I only tend to splash out on coolers and heavyweights, and they have all exceeded my expectations. He takes 6"6 t/o, so I bought him 6"3 cooler by shires and the fitting is awful - its far too big, may of got him in a 6"0 !!

Ooh, and my Requistite £15 6"3 fly rug was far too small for a 6"3, and it is falling to bits at the seams. Never again from them.

If I ever want to splash out, my first choice is always either Weatherbeeta or Hw Ireland. I've only heard good from Premier Equine too - I know someone who refuses to have any other brand! So Id give them a try if I needed to.

Last edited:

3OldPonies

Visit site
I quite like Requisite rugs, but I have noticed that with this year's rugs that while the size lengthwise is OK, they can be a bit mini-skirt at the sides. Example, I bought an under rug, with full neck and a full neck turn out within a week of each other (not that the time is particularly relevant) on the advice of a store manager. (Might seem a bit weird, but I was trying at the time to keep dear old H warm enough in the frosty stuff and he had to stay out). Anyway, thank goodness I'm a dab hand with the sewing machine, because despite being assured that the under-rug wouldn't stick out it did, at the back, the sides and the neck part would have been long enough for something about two hands bigger! So, as it wasn't expensive I got busy and shortened it all round and the neck too. Result - a perfect fit under the turn out. I chopped about 3 inches off both sides and about 5 from the neck, the fit at the chest was perfect. Those rugs were supposed to be compatible!!!!! But, aside from that the turn out is wonderfully waterproof and the under rug brilliantly warm and cosy, so I'm not displeased with the performance of the rugs, just a bit annoyed that I had to get the sewing machine out!

btw - I bought cheap because a) I needed something urgently after the dramatic failure of H's turnout in bad weather, b) I didn't want to spend a lot on rugs for H as I knew it would be the last winter for him and c) I'd had Requisite before and been quite happy with sizing, waterproofness and durability.

I've also spoken to a 'rug expert' from an online shop, after investigating the differing fit of Rhinegold and Shires rugs and he told me that with the exception of Shires all the other manufacturers have their rugs produced in different factories, countries and patterns so the fit can vary wildly - just like with human clothes.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Thanks for all the replies - I went for a Shires in the end. I could probably have got it a bit cheaper but needed it quickly and Amazon had it on a Prime delivery so it'll be here tomorrow.
I've never tried a Shires rug before so interested to see what it's like.

AFB

Visit site
For cheap rugs - eBay

I had a couple of Axiom off of there which were great but not available when I last needed one so went with a Chonma. Also have an unbranded from Eileen Douglas Tackshops eBay shop.

All 3 have been true to size and fit really well, Axiom did 1200D so were really tough, not sure if the others do but but of my 600Ds are holding up perfectly. All less than £30.