Requisite turnout rugs - any good?

NativePonyLover

Visit site
This is the first winter P has been clipped & previously, being a fluffy native pony - he was only rugged if it was really wet.

He's now got an Irish clip, so I'm a bit more inclined to rug if it's just wet - but, he's a bit of a serial rug ripper, so loathe to spend ££££ on rugs.

He's managed to rip his rug today (he has 2 spares, but 1 is v.tatty now & probably not that waterproof) & so he was very wet when I popped down to check him tonight, so I'm looking to get another - so I can always have a spare whilst I'm repairing the other.

Has anyone used Robinsons Requisite rugs? I've got some Reward points to use - so could get one very cheaply, but don't want to buy something that is totally rubbish! Any reviews?

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I've used one before, got given it with a pony and stood up to a harsh winter fine. It looked no different than my WB rug either.

Equestrian clearance bargain range is good. Just got a medium standard neck turn out from there for 34.99 and its actually pretty good quality.

LittleGinger

Visit site
I've got two Requisites - a lightweight rain sheet and a medium weight turnout (about 150g I'd guess. I picked it OBSCENELY cheaply due to summer sale/Robinsons reward points - think it was about £12 in total!! Cheaper than reproofing and repairing his other MW). Old boy has lived in the MW for about a month now, 24/7 and it's doing very well - much better than his Weatherbeetas although I suppose they are at least 15 years old now. The lightweight seems fine too. Bit wide on his shoulders, but then my old boy is narrow in his old age so probably more to do with his funny shape than any abnormality with the rug sizing. I'd buy more, especially if I had spare Reward points (aren't they brilliant?!).

PStarfish

Visit site
I've had two in the past and they both rubbed the shoulders quite badly. Did the same to various horses of different types. For that reason I wouldn't buy another. They may have improved (last one was 5 years ago) but I won't take the chance.

millikins

Visit site
I was singing their praises today in the torrential rain we've just endured. I have one doing it's 3rd winter without reproofing and a new one on a happy toastie pony. I tend to buy the funny coloured ones in the sales and I think they've stopped using the velcro tail flaps.

spacefaer

Visit site
bought one off ebay by mistake (make wasn't listed but it waas cheap enough)

certainly wareproof, has a cotton lining while I prefer nylon, but perfectly adequate. Not overly deep - mine is 7' and I think they've just made the standard rug longer, rather than increasing all proportions

Clips/buckles are poor quality - I've had one of each just break - but then what do you expect for the money?

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Gallop rugs are VERY good quality and on eBay are also affordable. We used to have a Welsh Cob who'd break his turnout rugs, but he didn't when wearing a Gallop. My hunter clipped mare is turned out in the 400g, it keeps her super warm & I love it. A bit off topic, but their fly rugs are also very good :)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I was singing their praises today in the torrential rain we've just endured. I have one doing it's 3rd winter without reproofing and a new one on a happy toastie pony. I tend to buy the funny coloured ones in the sales and I think they've stopped using the velcro tail flaps.

I had some with the Velcro tail flaps about ten years ago, they were rubbish rugs then. It's only been in the last five years that they have become good rugs

Jayzee

Visit site
I bought a lightweight a couple of years ago and I am amazed at how waterproof it is. My irish horse is living out in it this winter and it is still holding up and after a wash and re proof is waterproof too. For the £30 I paid for it (rug and neck cover) I think it is excellent value for money. Having said that I did have another medium weight for my pony who has narrow shoulders and it slipped back and rubbed but a horse more who is more stocky I dont think there would be problem.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Just checked, and my mare has a LW pink & white spotty Requisite rug that came with her a couple of years ago, and it is very good quality, so yes, their rugs are good. My previous Welsh Cob gelding also wore it a few times, and he didn't break it.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I had some with the Velcro tail flaps about ten years ago, they were rubbish rugs then. It's only been in the last five years that they have become good rugs

The LW Requisite I have that came with my mare a couple of years ago, and it has a velcro tail flap, apart from the tail flap falling off a lot, it's still a very good quality rug. It can't of been hers from new then, as she's only 8 years old now.

Nosey

Visit site
Just bought one last week-a med weight combo. Obv can't comment on how well it wears but is a nice fit & quite deep. Only criticism so far is that it's not as thick as I thought it should be for a mw but can stick another layer under it.