Reschooling an older pony

smiggy

Visit site
Any success stories ?
in a moment of madness I bought a little cob from a dealer , because it was a few days after I lost a very similar stamp much loved one. She’s thin, been out of work at least 6 months ( had a foal) and goodness knows what she has actually done before. I bought her on the assumption she was 6 but actually she’s 10 ( definite ,not on teeth ) . Dealer very nice about it and has said keep her for now while she finds me another one that actually is younger.
except it doesn’t work like that does it ! She’s moved in and worked her way into my affections.she was really shut down and is blossoming and filling out and the thought of sending her away doesn’t really appeal. given Ive just ordered her a £90 rug as she’s an odd shape, bought her a comfitec bridle and booked a vet/dentist appointment for the new year, feels like she’s staying!
so am I mad in thinking I can get her going and do a bit of dressage, maybe some working equitation, just sort of prelim level. I have another pony to compete so no time pressure.
just worried it’s a bit too late to get started.
l have only walked her up the lane so far as she needs more muscle but she has a nice trot on the lunge and was able to have a little canter without too much difficulty ( probably driven more than ridden so thought canter might be an issue) .
just looking for some success stories really to prove I’m not the lunatic my instructor thinks 🤣

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Oh she is staying! no way you are swapping her out.

Yes, we reschooled a 15yr old Connie who had been in a paddock for 8 years untouched. He clearly had challenges from the original training but once those were undone, he just loved learning.

He was a dingbat initially hacking out as he obviously didn’t have the miles on the clock. But as he experienced more and more he settled into a horse that went anywhere in any situation. Cancer got him at 23 but he was super.

Id take an older horse again with limited schooling based on that experience

Northern

Visit site
10 is nothing! Enjoy your new pony ;)

If it helps, I am currently "retraining" a pony in the African desert. She is probably 13-17 judging by her teeth and the most stressed thing in the world. Clearly was never broken to saddle properly, no concept of contact except pull pull stress stress jog jog, and no wonder as guests and guides were plopped on and she was ragged about and allowed to stress and jog. After two weeks of consistent riding I can walk her out without jogging, walk/trot/canter in a soft frame, she has a quiet mouth 80% of the time and today walk home mostly relaxed on the buckle. She just had to be shown the way in a quiet and sympathetic manner.

Set your pony up for success, build her up slowly and correctly and enjoy :) I am sure you will have many years of adventure in front of you!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The odd shape and lack of muscle adds up to postural challenges, unsurprising for a recent broodie. Have a look at equitopiacenter.com (cheap/free membership) for some great info on topline, posture, movement patterns etc, and an introduction to some groundwork and ridden experts. Helping a horse carry a rider has a lot to it, not just the standard sort of strengthening/fittening that we all know at least a bit about. Have fun!

dottylottie

Visit site
i bought a 10 year old in feb, green as they come, couldn’t hold canter or go in a straight line, you get the picture. she’s been on box rest for months and in just a couple of weeks being consistent with the schooling, she’s already improved so much - still only walk and trot allowed, but so much more supple and willing.

you absolutely can teach an old dog new tricks! i don’t think 10 is old whatsoever. i think with a bit of consistency and patience she’ll be up and running in no time!

seriously festive equine

Visit site
Don't I know what this feels like! A few years ago I bought a 14.2hh oversized Welsh C gelding intending him for my daughter when she grew up. He was supposed to be a schoolmaster and was 18. I sat on him first as my daughter was only 7 and still inexperienced. I am average height but well under 13 stone so weight isn't a issue. This pony is a DREAM out hacking but on the ground and in the school an absolute nightmare! Way to strong and liable to bolt in the school. I tried having a girl from the local stables ride him every other day but it was just 1 step forward 2 steps back. He had lovely lines but ended up being loaned out to inexperienced riders who he wasn't ready for at a young age meaning he was at a dodgy dealers before he came to me so I knew he had potential but just needed the right hands. After a year of trying I stopped the girl from riding him and worked on his groundwork instead. After 3 months of groundwork I started riding him again and after 4 months of alternate school and hacking work he was a gem! Literally now my fave ride in my stables! He is now semi retired at 26 but my farrier and vet advised me to keep hacking him to prevent arthritis. He is barefoot and I hack him bareback and with a saddle... Riding him is like floating! I love my golden boy! 💝 He works nicely in the school but hacking is still his favourite... I ended up keeping him for myself and buying my daughter a little safe cob! 🤣
Definitely the best thing I did was only me riding him as me and the girl had very different methods of riding. He is still my golden boy! Good luck with your cob!

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Be patient, go very slowly, never presume she is being 'naughty' when she could be struggling physically, no you are not a lunatic (any more than we all are!)

I started riding a new share last February.* He had spent his whole working life in a trekking centre where he only walked and trotted in straight lines, following the one in front. His owner is a complete beginner who bought him to learn on. He wasn't unfit (his previous home was hilly) but was stiff, unbalanced and clueless. He's about 16 or 17.
I school him three times a week, for a very short time, as soon as he manages that day's challenge I reward him with a hack. If he does it after one minute, then that day's session is a minute long!
He can now canter a circle and canter over poles in a straight line ( but not both at the same time), rein back (very well 😁 ), turn on the forehand (better in one direction than the other), his canter is still 'all or nothing' but he has different speeds/stride lengths in trot. He still finds schooling hard work & we still do very short sessions.

*Someone will be along in a minute to say I'm putting effort into someone else's horse. They will be right but I'm really enjoying it. True I'm fond of him & it will break my heart if the share ends but they all break your heart sooner or later, right?

Last edited:

cornbrodolly

Visit site
Could you find out how many foals she has had? This would have a bearing on how strong the muscles and ligaments in her back are . A vet or physio would be able t tell you if she is strong enough, or whether the ligaments have over stretched . I have seen the extremes of brood mares coming back to work - more than one had no spinal muscles and could not carry a rider , and others who have had numerous foals but retained a good strength and been excellent ridden mares. She looks a sweet soul! Assuming her back is ok , getting her fitter as you would a young horse would be ideal- lots of hacks and straight lines for months.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
A lot of that can be assessed from the outside, and you work accordingly, assessing the improvement in posture as you go. Developing the eye is key, observing the weaknesses and the changes as the horse strengthens. A good starting point is the equitopia content on topline syndrome, but there's plenty more on the site. I see a LOT Of horses assessed by vets as being ready to ride, or rather assumed they are ready to ride straight after a procedure, or at a set number of weeks....and they're really not.

As a saddle fitter I am then expected to fit a saddle to a dysfunctional back which can cause further issues/soreness...and those issues can easily look like a saddle fit issue when they're not, but the real problem only shows itself later. Hence my level of interest...(obsession?!)

Wishfilly

Visit site
I know a few people who have backed and brought on broodmares who were in the 8-12 range. Most of those had never been sat on, so if she has, you are ahead in that respect. Some of those because really nice low level all rounders- so it is doable!

She also looks very pretty, so I bet she is staying!

Irish Sally

Visit site
She's gorgeous! Age isn't a big issue. Just treat her like any green horse and she should improve. People have issues when they start treating them differently or just don't have the experience with green horses.

spoo

Visit site
She is beautiful!

I took on a similar mare in Feb this year. She was 11. You definitely definitely definitely can reschool them. We started schooling out hacking. Took what we learnt into the school. Coming on leaps and bounds now. There’s no stopping her! She absolutely loves her work. And having a more mature outlook on life definitely helps.