Rescue people didn't like us

Cop-Pop

Visit site
M&D are looking for a rescue dog so they went to a rescue centre this morning. They need a dog that is good with other dogs (they have my 12 year old goldie living with them), cats (they have 2), kids (mum babysits two days a week) and old people (my 99 year old grandad lives with them). Ideally they want a bitch aged somewhere between 4 and 10.
They've had rescues before so know they come with issues but as they went through the trauma of returning a rescue dog a few years ago they are being very careful to avoid this. After explaining this to the staff at the centre they were presented with two dogs - one snapped at mum straight away and the other couldn't be homed with other dogs
confused.gif
The staff told them I should take the goldie back with me - the reason she lives with M&D is she can't be left alone anymore and there is always someone at home for her there. When they explainedthis the staff were rude to them and said they couldn't help time wasters
frown.gif
mad.gif
Surely they should be happy that M&D aren't jumping into a situation they won't be able to handle?
confused.gif
What are rescue staff looking for in a new owner?
Sorry if it turned into a rant - M&D have a fab home to offer and these people just turned their nose up at it!!

HeatherAda

Visit site
Sounds to me like they are the time wasters not your parents. Seems they didn't pay much attention to their situation.

Hope it doesn't put them off going to a different rescue centre.

Booboos

Visit site
What a crappy rescue home! Surely their first priority should be to listen to what potential rehomers need and find a dog that fits! I would try a different place.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Ooo name and shame the rescue centre, and write to the management complaining about the attitude of the staff.

Pennyhp

Visit site
Our last dog who we had for over thirteen years came from a rescue centre.
My friend had him first but couldn't cope with his "issues". As has been said a lot of rescues have issues.
His temprement was supurb though. My kids were both under 10 at the time and grew up with chester.
He never offered to snap or growel ever.

If I had gone to the rescue home myself I would not have "qualified" for Chester as he was a Jack Russel cross. the other part being possibly corgi.
they had a blanket ban on homing anything that had terrier in it with a family with pre teen kids.

A moments aqaintance with chester woud have been enough to show anyone that he was a very friendly, peaceful, bottom of the pack kind of dog.

I am so glad my firend didn't get on with his issues because otherwise I would never have had him and he gave us so much pleasure before he died last year.

Sometimes it seems that these resue centres are a bit above themselves.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Many rescues seem to be far too picky. A friend of mine went to several rescues when looking for a dog. She was offering a huge house, big fenced in garden, someone at home all day long - pretty much the perfect home. Three rescue centres turned her down because she had an elderly (18yo) cat - apparently it was "irresponsible" of her to want to rehome a dog with a cat, so they wouldn't offer her ANY dog
confused.gif

It makes you wonder how they manage to rehome the dogs that go to them. We got one of our dogs from a less picky dogs home - they have hundreds of dogs in every week, and it is rare that any dog stays for longer than the 10 days they are required to stay (in case the owner claims them). Compare this to the homes that have dogs waiting in kennels for months, maybe years, just because they want the "perfect" home.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Well they went to another shelter today but unfortunately there wasn't anything suitable - there seems to be a lot of puppies around at the moment...

What's the name of the shelter which specifically rehomes older dogs?

Onyxia

Visit site
It's sad the a lot of rescues seem to turn away anyone who doesnt tick al thier boxes- a RI I knew years ago was turned down againa nd again because he diddnt have a garden and lived in a flat-they simply refused to take into account that the flat was above a stable block and the dog had the whole yard to run about on with people there all day every day,ideal home for most dogs!

Of course they have to be picky,but there are some out there who will look at each potential home as an indivual.
Good luck to your parents,hope they find the dog of their dreams.

fruity

Visit site
Think about it though,an empty kennel lessens the donations/money they get hence why sometimes they are reluctant to rehome,i have worked very closely with some of these places hence why i rescue and hand rear litters myself as then i don't have a home checker tell me how unsuitable my home is! I changed my attitude to some of these places when i was looking for my first JRT (had collies before)we went to a local rescue, when we got there the man ignored us for ages and when i finally got a word out of him he said 'fill a form in' so we did,put down that we had 2 acres of garden and 12 ft fencing as back then we were living in a very plush pad! the only thing i was worried about was that i had a little boy, 3 at the time. Anyway filled it in, gave it back they said they'd be in touch and then ............... didn't hear a word...!

Oneofthepack

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

What's the name of the shelter which specifically rehomes older dogs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if they thought your M & D were usuitable there was no need to be so bloody rude, and what business is it of theirs if your elderly dog stays with them? It's for her own good and seems a very responsible attitude to me.

I think the place mentioned is www.oldies.org but they are not a rescue centre, more a website where all rescues can promote the older, harder to home dogs.

tori252

Visit site
I called a rescue offering a home with 3 other dogs, a neighbour comes in every day, but they still wanted one of us to take 2 weeks of work to be there - no way I could do that as short notice with work. Ended up getting in touch with a breeder who has one for rehoming, so collecting her next weekend

Darkhorse

Visit site
Some rescues really do themselves no favours at all.

There will be a dog out there for your parents.

I have a foster dog at the moment for one of the local rescues that my friend runs, he has come out of the council pound as he was due to be PTS. I work full time too so maybe that would put me out of the equitation with some rescues. But I am better than his alternative, and he will get a nice home through the rescue.

Keep an eye on my friends site www.rainrescue.co.uk they ship dogs all over the country and may get something in, all these dogs are taken from the council pound.

smokeybabes

Visit site
Have you tried the dogs trust (there's one in evesham).
When we were looking for a dog our local rescue centre turned us down because we lived in a flat. They just wouldn't listen to us as we tried to explain but there will nearly always be someone there as i work nights so am there all day and OH works days so is there at night. Apparently they only rehome to ground floor flats?! I don't really see the difference between a ground floor or top floor flat apart from the stairs as you still don't have your own garden!!
We then tried the dogs trust and they were fine, we got a lovely little jack russel who we have had a year now. She certainly doesn't seem to mind living in a flat and comes down yard with me in morning, goes for a quick walk at lunctime to local park (can be longer when i'm not on nights), down yard again around 5-6pm, and then a night walk around 9-10pm before bed.

u04elw2

www.mobileliveryservices.weebly.com
That is so rubbish
frown.gif
We had just lost our first Lhasa Apso when we called what used to be the Grampian Dog Sanctuary and said is there ANY chance they had any Lhasa Apsos in - bearing in mind this was back when they were VERY hard to find (I think we started a trend
laugh.gif
) and the woman was so shocked because they had one coming the very next day.

Someone came out within the hour, viewed our flat and our garden - fairly small flat and shared garden and mum who worked all day, but then my Grandad was coming in every day to walk the dog and we had a huge field right next to our flat which was a substitute garden AND the dog was walked up the hills most weekends.

We were very lucky to find somewhere that listened to our situation without dismissing it straight away like some might have.

Keep trying, they'll find somewhere that'll listen soon
smile.gif