Research Project-Calling all Thoroughbred Owners!

AusRider

Visit site
A loose ring french link snaffle for everything. He was quite fussy with the contact, and very little else (probably) would have suited him. But we did have some real doozies of an argument on the cross country course over speed!

Cazzah

Visit site
I use a full cheek snaffle with copper peanut with a drop noseband for everything: http://www.shiresequestrian.co.uk/shop/product.php?productid=727&cat=572&page=2

When I fist got him I tried lots of bits, including dutch gag, hanging cheek french link, pelham, myler low port with hooks etc as he was a tank but could also be sensitive if over-bitted. Also tried just about every noseband you can think of. I bought the full cheek about three years ago and used it for flat work and forgot his myler one day for XC at a ODE but he went so well in the full cheek he's been in it since. Only variation I have now is that his drop noseband is one hole tighter for XC. Life is much simpler! :D

The only variation is a rugby pelham for the rare occasions we can be bothered with showing but that's only as it is more correct.

chocolatepony

Visit site
I use a Hilary Vernon loose ring response snaffle for jumping, hacking and schooling on the flat in a snaffle bridle. I also school on the flat in a double bridle-I use the same snaffle as my bridoon and the informed designs finesse weymouth.

LynH

Visit site
Myler Comfort snaffle for dressage and a Myler with a low port for schooling. Tried lots if different bits and she seems happiest and less head movement with the Myler.

maccachic

Visit site
Myler level 1 snaffle for all

Horse perfers the thinner mouth peice and goes well in it.

However am experimenting with an eggbut (bradoon due to thinness) as I think the nutcracker action might sharpen up my our communication a bit more.

pippixox

Visit site
loose ring, snaffle, for everything (although he is now only hacking) as his breaks are pretty good and he was retrained after racing to respond more to seat and voice. had him 7 years and never had any reason to try anything different

Stormy123456

Visit site
Loose Ring Happy Mouth Straight Bar for everything on one - had the lightest mouth.

Loose Ring Sweet Iron Copper Lozenge Snaffle for another for everything.

toomanyhorses26

Visit site
wilkie snaffle for general
French link Pelham for the occasional need for extra brakes
French link bridoon and ported Weymouth for showing
team up bit for dressage

all used because he is happy - he is a loooooonnngggg horse that swings between being massively backwards and over the top

catembi

Visit site
Happy mouth unjointed eggbut for everything. When I first got him, he would throw his head about in a metal bit, but it turned out he had a wolf tooth right in the way. That came out & he is now far less stressy in his mouth, but I haven't changed bits as he seems happy enough in that one.

T x

claracanter

Visit site
schooling flat - NS trans angled lozenge baucher......Need a bit of poll pressure to help get him rounded, also I use this because it is dressage legal so don't have to change anything if we go to a comp.

hacking/jumping - NS lozenge beval, bit stronger for jumping

Marmalade

Visit site
Happy mouth type eggbutt double jointed (with lozenge) snaffle for everything. He didn't like metal bits and is much lighter with the happy mouth mouthpiece. Chose an eggbutt because loose rings pinch his thin skin and double jointed as single joints led to an inconsistent I think when the nutcracker action came into effect.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Schooling - cotswold sport tongue saver loose ring snaffle.

Hacking - walk and trot only as above, anything else a waterford loose ring snaffle.

Jumping - waterford loose ring snaffle.

Don't like single joint or fixed rings, neither does Fig. And I need a bit more control for jumping/faster work and the waterford stops him grabbing and running.

Heidi1

Visit site
Horse 1.. Fixed ring french link, flash noseband, use this for everything, sensitive mare, doesn't like anything too fussy in her mouth.

Horse 2...Fench Link Hanging Cheek for flatwork and hacking, Trans Universal for Jumping, strong jumping..

ellie11987

Visit site
loose ring neue schule verbindend for schooling, hacking and jumping. She goes best in this bit on the flat and I don't feel she needs a stronger bit for fast work or jumping. She doesn't like anything with excessive poll pressure, fixed rings, single joints, or french links.

Shrimp

Visit site
Schooling/Slow hacking (walk/trot) - Eggbutt French link snaffle, his contact is more consistent in this rather than a loose ring
Cantering/Jumping - Two ring French link gag on the snaffle ring, very occasionally on bottom ring if going up gallops etc. Not my ideal choice but whilst he is not that strong, he can tend to fight against me and I have found I can give a little tweek with this bit and he listens rather than having a massive battle. Used to event up to Novice in a Waterford snaffle but as he was jumping a lot more he never used to get as worked up or excited as he does now (only jump on average once a fortnight with another session thrown in if I get the chance)

WellyBaggins

Visit site
Bored so I thought I would add the other TB's on the yard.

Horse 2
Happy Mouth Full Cheek with lozenge for everything
Horse 3
Happy Mouth Full Cheek with lozenge for everything
Horse 4
NS Tranz Angled Lozenge for everything
Horse 5 (not an ex racehorse but a TB)
NS Tranz Angled Lozenge for everything

Lyle

Visit site
Current TB- Cruze

Flat, hacking, jumping- Previously a KK training snaffle, but he found it a little thick and was talking with his tongue a lot. Switched to a CS tongue saver, he seems to like the shape!

Previous TB- Daniel
Flat, hacking- Sweet iron snaffle- medium thickness. Daniel didn't have a particularly good mouth, and when I got him I had no idea that re-mouthing was an option! He seemed to respect the slightly thinner bit more, and the 'sweet iron' was the only bit in which his mouth would stay moist.
Jumping- continental gag. Essentially a dutch gag, but only has the big ring and one more. He could get very wooden in the neck, and brace against me. I found this I had a good amount of control. He couldn't handle a Pelham, too much control from me. He was the sort of horse that liked to take me to the fences.

tilly_monster

Visit site
Sam- hacking Tom thumb bit- very strong out hacking
Dressage-Neue schule starter bit- with a Micklem bridle-he goes the best in these
Jumping- hackamore- hates having anything in his mouth while jumping.
Roo- hacking and jumping- Cheltenham gag- I needed brakes
Dressage- the same as Sam and for the same reasons
Quam- rubber snaffle for everything, no need to be changeing his bit as he goes well in his snaffle

Squeak

Visit site
For flatwork and hacking etc a NS loose ring snaffle with a lozenge and using this for jumping at the moment but will consider changing to a wilkie for jumping especially xc as advised by old owners as he was getting slightly stronger. My old tb went in a full cheek single jointed snaffle for everything.

Really fascinating how many people use french links or lozenges on their tbs, I wonder if it is just tbs or all horses atm?

Good luck with your research OP.

BarmyC

Visit site
I use a fixed ring single jointed bradoon for flat, Sj and hacking including our fast work but for team chasing I use a tom thumb as she ignores everything when we are running and I have brakes and steering with this.

Lucylobster

Visit site
NS French link egg butt snaffle for dressage, hacking and jumping.

Tried various snaffles as he isn't strong and he really took to the NS (secret may really be in the salox!). He now mouthes lovely and is light as feather 😊

Antw23uk

Visit site
Snaffle with a drop noseband. First month of owning I was obsessed with trying everything fancy in his gob ... snaffle worked fine so should have listened from the start :) He can be strong if on an excitable hack which another horse starts but he is more than mannerly and responsive :eek: (Im a guy and like to think I have some strength :eek:. Horse 16.3 ex racer @ 7yrs old) we do a bit of everything and always in a snaffle. Horse has manners ... don't feel the need for anything else tbh :eek: