Respiratory supplements

The Trooper

Visit site
Off the back of this recent article I am wondering what respiratory supplements people use?

You may or may not remember Bonnie had a bout of coughing in the summer (I am glad to report that has now settled down, allergy?). Off the back of that I am wondering what supplements may help her, ones that you have tried and tested and found to help?

Thanks in advance.

mavandkaz

Visit site
I've used the Hack up Liquid Air. Certainly made a difference and decently priced. Only downside is horse wouldn't eat it in a feed (it smells quite strong) so syringed it in instead

Fiona

Visit site
I give my connie the Global Herbs Airways supplement, but it is very strong smelling, and I wonder would a fussier pony eat it.

I reckon it works though...

Fiona

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have tried a lot of them on 2 horses that were left compromised after a very nasty virus in 2017.

Secreta Pro was successful and one horse is on it now. She makes a noise and a showjumper friend suggested adding NAF Resp Boost on the days the horse is competing or travelling. She was a different horse with the Resp boost added. I am tempted to drop the secreta pro but fearful of making changes to a successful situation. She is micro managed in terms of air quality and environment.

Global Herbs Airways keeps the other horse clear winded but he was nowhere near as badly affected in the long term as the mare is. It smells vile but the greedy carthorse loves it ! I did try Global Herbs Airways on the mare, who did eat it for a while but she had a reaction to it. She drooled huge amounts of saliva and her nose ran like a tap. There were puddles outside her door and she was very depressed, had sore nostrils and a sore lip.

Fiona

Visit site
I have tried a lot of them on 2 horses that were left compromised after a very nasty virus in 2017.

Secreta Pro was successful and one horse is on it now. She makes a noise and a showjumper friend suggested adding NAF Resp Boost on the days the horse is competing or travelling. She was a different horse with the Resp boost added. I am tempted to drop the secreta pro but fearful of making changes to a successful situation. She is micro managed in terms of air quality and environment.

Global Herbs Airways keeps the other horse clear winded but he was nowhere near as badly affected in the long term as the mare is. It smells vile but the greedy carthorse loves it ! I did try Global Herbs Airways on the mare, who did eat it for a while but she had a reaction to it. She drooled huge amounts of saliva and her nose ran like a tap. There were puddles outside her door and she was very depressed, had sore nostrils and a sore lip.

That's the situation my connie is in too AA, after he had some sort of respiratory virus in 2017 just before I got him...

Fiona

TPO

Visit site
My horse has asthma. Hes out as much as possible, bedded on dust free shavings and has a haygain for steamed hay. However that isn't always enough. I think it was @EKW who posted about Science Supplements RespirAid so I tried it.

It has worked brilliantly. I previously had a sort of rescue loan situation going on with a horse who's lungs had been very badly damaged by neglect and ignorance. I tried everything under the sun for him, while waiting in his owner to involve the vet, and nothing made even the slightest bit of difference. I wish I'd thought to try SS for him. Eventually I did manage to get him prescription steroids to make him more comfortable for the time he had left.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
That's the situation my connie is in too AA, after he had some sort of respiratory virus in 2017 just before I got him...

Fiona

My pair went to a local show and came home sick. July 17 through to Feb 18 and 2 x maxed out insurance claims.

The Trooper

Visit site
Bonnie can be a little fussy with what she eats. She went off chaff last winter so a strong smell is something I am interested to hear about. I understand that given what they do they will likely be strong smelling regardless though.

Fiona

Visit site
Bonnie can be a little fussy with what she eats. She went off chaff last winter so a strong smell is something I am interested to hear about. I understand that given what they do they will likely be strong smelling regardless though.

A liquid may be less strongly smelling??

I'm lucky my pony is a gannet lol.

Fiona

lottiepony

Visit site
I use Feedmark Clarity. Worked well for my old pony who was left with issues are an illness (whilst out on loan)
I also now use it on my Shetland. With him it has also solved the issue I had with him with having constant watery eyes, no idea why it helps but it does so we stick with it!

daydreamer

Visit site
I use the Global Herbs Airways plus and do think it helps. They have changed the recipe recently though i think as the colour and smell has changed. I also use NAF respiratory boost at times and think that helps too (plus it smells lovely!)

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I know its not directly answering your question BUT …. the best thing Ive ever done for mine with COPD is buy a Haygain steamer - yes their expensive but you can source them secondhand now & rather than spending endless amounts of money on mainly untested supplements its the most beneficial thing Ive ever done not just for her but all the others as well - hay is the main source of feed, full of dust & spores which even if you do soak doesn't kill & can still harbour bacteria - honestly they are fantastic.

The Trooper

Visit site
Thanks all, I am still keeping an eye on this thread and have it on watch.

I know its not directly answering your question BUT …. the best thing Ive ever done for mine with COPD is buy a Haygain steamer - yes their expensive but you can source them secondhand now & rather than spending endless amounts of money on mainly untested supplements its the most beneficial thing Ive ever done not just for her but all the others as well - hay is the main source of feed, full of dust & spores which even if you do soak doesn't kill & can still harbour bacteria - honestly they are fantastic.

She was coughing in summer only and is now no longer coughing at all. Her hay intake has neither increased nor decreased since the hay was removed from the fields in spring. I find it more likely to be an allergy to either the straw bedding I had her on or something seasonal such as pollen etc.

If I need to bring her in this winter she will probably be on haylage with field hay supplied by the round bale, which I cannot possibly steam or soak.

It's a good suggestion and thank you for providing it, I'm just not sure it is a hay issue based on the above.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I use Respirease by Science Supplements which has had a dramatic effect on our pony that coughs. It also managed to clear up a horrific cough that a big horse had on the yard in the summer which ventapulmin and dilaterol didn't touch.