Restarting 20 year old problems, please advise :(

Kirstyx1

Visit site
To be fair - you were the first person who started an argument by calling a well respected and knowledgeable member of the forum a "troll" - and no-one has ganged up on you until this point.
Everyone has said that you need a vet check, and to bring her back slowly. What more advice do you want?
Have to you read amymays first and second reply? Not one peice of advice, simply abrupt and negative.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Ok well, my lesson has been learned.. don't ask for help from anyone other than a vet. Example- " your horse is telling you to eff off" is that helpful or constructive? I don't think it is at all unkind if started very slowly, and if she is sound all round but I guess this is why I shouldn't ask for opinions from anyone other than professionals. What is unkind is how I have received a onslaught from members grouped together as a pack of bullies do. I wouldn't dream of riding her if I am told by the VET not to. She has been handled, loved and cared for 15 years but as I battled cancer I stopped riding. It was my passion and she was the best horse Iv ever ridden so apologies for wanting that back again.

I understand that you won't know this but you have actually been given advice by some extremely experienced professionals, *on this thread*.

EllenJay

Visit site
I think you will find dabdab and Leo walkers advice would constitute advice..helpful and NOT a mindless power trip..bye now
I am guessing that you no longer want me to comment on your post. To bring my replies down to your level, all I am going to say is that the troll spray isn't working.
Happy now?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Dabdab, and Leo walker, thank you that is definately helpful. Makes perfect sense. I will have her thoroughly checked and be as slow as she needs
I am really confused reading this thread. Why do you keep responding to Leo Walker when Leo Walker hasn't responded to you on this thread??? Is LW AM or am I missing something?

The Trooper

Visit site
I am really confused reading this thread. Why do you keep responding to Leo Walker when Leo Walker hasn't responded to you on this thread??? Is LW AM or am I missing something?
They can but not always. If you really want to ride this horse you need a proper MOT doing. Back, teeth, saddle, vet check and then get a good instructor involved. Start with ground work and very, very, very, very slowly build up to riding. At 20 with 15yrs off your looking at it taking 3 to 4 months before shes hacking steadily in walk with short bursts of trot, for up to an hour total max.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It used to be that, now I think you don't see them at all since the move so it doesn't give you the option to uncover you used to have like the old one. Would you like to be a test subject?

I tested on you anyway, and nope it does show me, I'm sure it didn't with someone else. hmmm

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would have a vet check her over and 15 years is a long time especially as she was 5 when you stopped riding her, she essentially has only been ridden for 2 years maximum in her whole life, I find it quite a big ask to expect the horse to be happy with it in these circumstances, personally I think I would leave her to be a retired horse and maybe think about getting another horse to ride.

Auslander

Visit site
It used to be that, now I think you don't see them at all since the move so it doesn't give you the option to uncover you used to have like the old one. Would you like to be a test subject?

I tested on you anyway, and nope it does show me, I'm sure it didn't with someone else. hmmm
I just ignored you, and you disappeared completely! Far better set up than previously!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Have come into this rather late - but never mind - I hope I've missed the arguments. Kirsty, TBH I would think you'd do better with a good equine physio and a good EDT (and a saddle fitter if you're out of practice.) And then work on the basis of LESS than 5 minutes of walking for the first week (but only hop off if she's walking nicely.) Then slowly build up to 10 minutes a day, then 15. It should take 6-8 weeks to work up to walking only for 45 minutes before you ask her to trot. It's been a few years since I backed an oldie (and she was a 10 year old who'd had 6 foals - so the weight was in a totally different place.) And she was easy to back - but we literally got on her and off her twice a day for the first few days, then walk 20 yards, then 40 yards. It took 6 moths to get her fit enough to do the necessary for a 5 stage vetting. I DID get my 17yo WB back into work after 2 years off - and 5 minutes of walk proved my hips couldn't cope, lol. So I know how your old girl was feeling. Get the checks done - and then go SO slow you think you're comatose.

LaurenBay

Visit site
I would have a vet check her over and 15 years is a long time especially as she was 5 when you stopped riding her, she essentially has only been ridden for 2 years maximum in her whole life, I find it quite a big ask to expect the horse to be happy with it in these circumstances, personally I think I would leave her to be a retired horse and maybe think about getting another horse to ride.

This ^^^^

The Horse is probably quite confused and would essentially need re backing all over again. 15 years is a hell of a long time for a Horse. Someone sitting on its back will be a thing of the past by now.

If you are really serious about getting this Horse back in work then please do a full MOT, This would include, vet, saddle, teeth and pysio. And if she gets the go ahead Then I'd get someone to help you on the ground, start from the basics and take it slow. Lunging and long reining are your friend. I doubt her napiness is naughtiness and I'd put money on being in pain or confusion and lack of confidence from having such a long break.

If she still says no, then I'd retire her and let her live a long and happy live in the field. You must appreciate that what you are asking is a big ask of a Horse.

Upthecreek

Visit site
I don’t mean to be rude but I have to say that I am quite shocked that anyone would consider bringing a 20 year old horse back into work after 15 years of not being ridden. It is sad that your health has prevented you from riding her for 15 years, but you can’t make up for lost time now and you are foolish to try. I think you are very lucky she didn’t try to get you off the second you got on. Her best ridden years are long behind her and I’d imagine she is very confused. I’m sorry this is not what you wanted to hear, but it’s best not to ask the question if you can’t deal with people giving an honest answer.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
When did she start her ridden career? She can't have done much before turning 5? As others have said she needs rebacking and (sorry but) by a professional. It's a bit like riding a bike but 15 years is a long long time so you'll have lost muscle and confidence.
Personally I'd leave her in retirement.

tabithakat64

Visit site
As others have said, she needs, back, teeth, saddle all checked by professionals then restarting by a professional too if their is nothing physically is amiss.

In the meantime I'd recommend you ride yourself to build up your muscle and confidence.

Expecting to simply be able to hop back on to a horse that's had a 15 year break with no issues at all is unrealistic in my opinion.