Resting paddock after harrowing and rolling?

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I feel like I am going slightly mad. I have always been told to rest a paddock after harrowing and rolling which makes absolute sense to me. My new farmer who is harrowing/rolling for me states that he has never heard of resting paddocks after h/r. What is the correct procedure? Many thanks.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I guess it depends how much space you have! I'm resting my worst field (re-seeded) but have them out on a just harrowed field, which will get rested when I put them on the smaller front field (when it's dry). When I had one field on livery, it was never rested after harrowing etc.

However, I have certainly read (and it makes sense) that resting after harrowing is better practice!

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Resting for how long?

Last September I moved to a new yard and the paddock allocated to me had been overgrazed. I divided it into two and hoped for some growth before the temperatures dropped. I moved the horse in December into the section that had been rested and will be moving her into the other section after the winter paddock has been rolled. I will then divide the field (are you still with me?:eek:) into three and alternate her between paddocks every 4-6 weeks. So a good part of the winter paddock will be rested for 2-3 months.:)