Restoring chewed leather!!

Expo

Visit site
My naughty horsey has had a good old chew on my best reins (totally my fault ...... !!) and left them sound but with the surface finish (Havana colour) damaged and pitted so the underlying fibrous part of the leather is visible. They're useable, but look awful. Do any of you wise, horsey folks know of any way I can restore them to something approaching their former glory, or are they now relegated to second best and time for a new set? All advice gratefully received. Thanks everyone.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Depends on the damage, once leather has ben damaged like that you really don't know how much integral strength is left in the leather and as it's safety issue being reins it is probably best that the damaged part is replaced with a rein splice. It's what most professional Saddlers would advise as if they didn't repair it and it did break after them handling it and attempting to make it look nice then they could be liable if an accident occurred. It's not something I would recommend you trying to do yourself, get it to a saddler to assess the damage if I were you.
Oz (Saddler)

Expo

Visit site
Depends on the damage, once leather has ben damaged like that you really don't know how much integral strength is left in the leather and as it's safety issue being reins it is probably best that the damaged part is replaced with a rein splice. It's what most professional Saddlers would advise as if they didn't repair it and it did break after them handling it and attempting to make it look nice then they could be liable if an accident occurred. It's not something I would recommend you trying to do yourself, get it to a saddler to assess the damage if I were you.
Oz (Saddler)

Thanks Oz .... they seem sounds enough but I agree there's a potential for breakage now they're in a weakened state. Might be time to get a new set (a bit of a pain as these were a Christmas pressie, so not had them long!) ..... Note to self to be more attentive in future. :(

Nasicus

Visit site
Thanks Oz .... they seem sounds enough but I agree there's a potential for breakage now they're in a weakened state. Might be time to get a new set (a bit of a pain as these were a Christmas pressie, so not had them long!) ..... Note to self to be more attentive in future. :(
I bought a lovely leather bridle once. First time I put it on the horse, turned my back for a second to grab something and horse proceeded to scrape it up the brick wall ?