restoring old rice trailers

foxeefilly1

Visit site
I have just taken on a trailer as a project, it is an old rice beaufort. I would like to make some modifications to the hitch and front ramp clamps and wondered if anyone has any experience doing them and could offer me some tips/suggestions. I am replacing all the exterior panels and floor and basically tidying it up. thanks in advance :)

Frumpoon

Visit site
Ah ok, if it was the one i was looking at she wanted nearly a grand for it, then I was quoted more than a grand to put it right!!!!

rockysmum

Visit site
If you are talking about the funny screw on ramp fasteners then I wouldn't replace them.

If you watch when you are tightening them they seem to be part of the strength of the trailer. I was advised to leave them alone when I had a Rice a few years ago.

As the for screw on tow hitch, as long as it does not have too much wear and the split pin still works to stop it unscrewing itself its not worth the expense of changing it. If it has excessive wear, which it might do given the age it must be, then I would change it. Is it the one where you have to put a pin in to reverse, if you dont the brakes come on. Either way ring Rice Richardson at York, they are very helpful and sell parts even for the old trailers.

The other thing worth looking at besides the floor and the chasis is the dampers. I have had several Rice trailers and often found the dampers leaking. It causes the brakes to come on and off rather violently and makes smooth towing hard.

foxeefilly1

Visit site
thanks, ill get my OH to have a look tomorrow, we moved the trailer before into one of the barns and we could reverse it without doing anything to the handbrake so im guessing the brake are shot aswell :( think i may just scrap it! seems a shame as it could do up nicely but if its going to cost me a fortune to do, i may aswell just save up and buy a newer model? I might ring a local trailer repair place and see how much they would reckon the brakes would cost.

dumpling

Visit site
If it's any help I got my old bayhill trailer (80s) brakes re done and I think with that and including the service it was around £500. The only problem we had was the guy found it difficult to source some parts.

foxeefilly1

Visit site
Not al the old rice trailer have a reversing pin, so you may be ok on that front.

It has a handbrake that fits into slots, then the final slot is supposed to stop it from reversing (i think) if that makes sense? When i stopped it shunted me a bit, so im guessing they may be knackered as it has stood in a field for 2 years. The former owner to the guy i bought it off had apparently had the brakes redone. Its giving me a damn headache thinking about it! My local rice dealer has told me all the parts for this age of trailer are now obsolete aswell :(

Mince Pie

Visit site
Can you send me some pictures of it? I have a friend that restores old trailers as a hobby and may know where you can get some parts.

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
It has a handbrake that fits into slots, then the final slot is supposed to stop it from reversing (i think) if that makes sense? When i stopped it shunted me a bit, so im guessing they may be knackered as it has stood in a field for 2 years. The former owner to the guy i bought it off had apparently had the brakes redone. Its giving me a damn headache thinking about it! My local rice dealer has told me all the parts for this age of trailer are now obsolete aswell :(

To be honest, if you don't put the reversing pin in and try to back an empty trailer, you won't have much trouble in doing so :) What the pin does is stops the brakes engaging, nothing more. The handbrake and slats thing is something different and I would advise disengaging it alltogether, because it has a tendency to bounce into ''on'' position as you drive along and then it isn't nice at all, with wheels locking on the move.
Mind you, I seem to be sometimes driving just fine with my 4x4's handbrake on :eek: :D
You need to have a look at the breaking mechanism, breaking pads, discs etc to assess them, rather then guessing from driving a bit with the trailer empty.

rockysmum

Visit site
The brakes might not be shot, the pin might already be in which will stop the brakes going on whichever way you are going.

Bring up the chasis number and ring Rice Richardson, they have a record of every trailer they have ever made and can tell you which axles were used etc, which will also tell you what sort of brakes.

Its actually a good sign that it will move, if the brakes were completely rusted and seized I would be more worried. As I said it might just be the pin or one of the rods missing.

How far North are you, if you are in Yorkshire, TC trailers at Crosshills always did a good cheap job on my old Rice trailers. Some of the IW and other dealers didn't really want to know.

rockysmum

Visit site
Now your asking, its a long time since I had this model.

As I remember it there are a few holes drilled between the towing hitch and the dampers. To get the pin in the brakes had to be off, so I had to lean on the back of my Land Rover and push the trailer away from me with my foot. That made the brakes go off and you could get the pin through the hole.

Great fun, just dont try it if you are parked downhill.

And dont forget to take it out before you set off or you will get to a steep hill and find you have no trailer brakes, I cant count the number of times I did that. You end up with the car brakes on fire trying to stop.

Potato!

Visit site
Bring up the chasis number and ring Rice Richardson, they have a record of every trailer they have ever made and can tell you which axles were used etc, which will also tell you what sort of brakes.

Sorry to Hijack this thread.

I have an Old Rice Europa which i would like to do up, First thing needed is a new floor, I phoned up Rice Richardson and was told that my Trailer is a German spec Rice Beaufort Double. when I described the trailer to them they agreed with me that their records must be wrong and that they couldn’t help. Other than they recommend treated softwood tongue and grooves ply at least 28mm think.

I have been quoted £650 for a company to do the floor which is really expensive. I will look at doing the floor myself as I work for a building company and may be able to get products at cost price. I’ve been told to put down wire mesh underneath the wooden floor just for a bit of extra security.

When i phoned another company they told me that they may not be able to do any repairs on my trailer as they are not sure wether they can get parts etc to comply with legal requirements they were going to charge £78 plus vat to come and tell me wether they can do it.

I dont know if it helps but the hitch is an Alko hitch (if anybody could hekp age my trailer from that)