Restricting water intake to "calm" horses

Cowpony

Visit site
I once worked at a yard where the horses were led to a water trough twice a day for a drink. We were told not to leave after their first drink as they always went back for a second, sometimes a third. The horses knew the routine and seemed happy with it. Feeding was after watering so I suspect that in days gone by many yards would have been operated on with this system. The same place also watered their cattle the same way in winter.
The riding school where I first learned to ride did this after every lesson. You rode your horse to the trough, they drank, you rode them to the shed where they were tied up all day without water, tied them up with string round their necks, loosened the girth and left them tacked up until the next lesson. I was 10 and knew no better. If that happened nowadays I'd be voting with my feet.

PSD

Visit site
I’ve heard of people doing this when they go for life height certificates. Dehydrate them before it so they come under the right height/be the height the owner wants them to be.

I don’t know if it works, or anyone who’s personally done it. But I have heard that it does go on so that they aren’t over a certain height - bizarre.

BBP

Visit site
I’ve seen it the night prior to dressage day at a three day event with advanced horses to reduce chance of horses misbehaving in the dressage.

suebou

Visit site
Definitely done for a close call measurement! If it’s the difference between excluded from a class as overheight, it’s certainly been used.

Reactions: PSD

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
This was a fairly common practice back in the day among less than scrupulous dealers - and I am guessing it still goes on today.

I have also seen it happen at all levels of competition for one reason or another - very often a spoilt child, not particularly good rider, on a very expensive proven competition pony that Mummy and Daddy have bought at huge cost for their little darling.

Too much pony for mediocre child rider - use the water restriction before and during competition and bingo, little princess now looks half way decent rider on a super little pony that is renowned as a sparky ride. Poor pony deserves far better owners, dreadful thing to do IMO. :mad:

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I don't have a problem with provision of water periodically, rather than constantly. Wild horses visit water (dawn and dusk?), they don't have it with them all day.

You cannot compare the needs of a wild herd compared to a domesticated horse. In the wild the horse 'chooses' when they will drink, so essentially they have ad lib water at their disposal whenever they choose to go and get it.

A domesticated horse cannot make that choice if they do not have a constant supply of clean fresh water can they? If we periodically offer water then we are making that choice for them - and so many factors dictate how much and when any particular horses needs hydration. How can we accurately know what is optimum and what isn't for their needs at any given time of the day or night if it is being restricted?

Equi

Visit site
I knew a man who did this who won every show with a stallion because it was so well behaved (and a nice stallion too ill admit, but i have seen him when it didnt happen and he was a beast, like a stallion would be, and got kicked out of the ring once) it made me very sad.

scruffyponies

Visit site
In the wild the horse 'chooses' when they will drink, so essentially they have ad lib water at their disposal whenever they choose to go and get it.
I disagree - a wild horse is forced to roam without water much more than a domestic one. If they stay by the water-hole they limit their food supply, and increases their chances of predation.

I suspect the expectation of water being readily available in every field and stable has only arisen since pressurised mains water became the norm (c.1900-1930). Before that people took the livestock to the water, not the other way around.

Buster2020

Visit site
I disagree - a wild horse is forced to roam without water much more than a domestic one. If they stay by the water-hole they limit their food supply, and increases their chances of predation.

I suspect the expectation of water being readily available in every field and stable has only arisen since pressurised mains water became the norm (c.1900-1930). Before that people took the livestock to the water, not the other way around.
Still no excuse in this day and age to be restricting a horse water intake. It very cruel . Anyone who does this shouldn’t be owning horses and should be banned from owning horses.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
I once saw a horse drink 15 gallons (68 litres) of water as he had not been given water all day when out at a competition. This was many years ago when I was a teenager and helped groom for someone with jumping horses. I was totally appalled even at that young age as it was so unnecessary and totally avoidable.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site

but it has that choice in the wild - to move on a look for water when it is thirsty - or to stay where it is and eat? Because it was not the norm to supply free choice water before mains water was available does not mean that is the best way for them - like everything modernisation and improvement and progression makes all our lives, including our horses, healthier and with more longevity.

If we chose to believe everything that was done in decades gone by was correct, without question then the horse would be far less healthy and have a much harder and shorter life span, even domesticated wouldn't it?

I think we might have to agree to disagree ;)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The riding school where I first learned to ride did this after every lesson. You rode your horse to the trough, they drank, you rode them to the shed where they were tied up all day without water, tied them up with string round their necks, loosened the girth and left them tacked up until the next lesson. I was 10 and knew no better. If that happened nowadays I'd be voting with my feet.
Why? Nothing wrong with that. There are some people who still water their horses twice a day, including a rather famous driving yard. As long as the horses are offered water regularly and on a schedule the horses soon learn to regulate their drinking, but the point is they get enough. Studies of feral horses on big, arid ranges show that they will often go two days+ without returning to the water source, by choice.

Cowpony

Visit site
Why? Nothing wrong with that. There are some people who still water their horses twice a day, including a rather famous driving yard. As long as the horses are offered water regularly and on a schedule the horses soon learn to regulate their drinking, but the point is they get enough. Studies of feral horses on big, arid ranges show that they will often go two days+ without returning to the water source, by choice.
Because nobody monitored which horses were used regularly and therefore got a drink. Most of the lessons were small kids, so the bigger/less popular horses might only be ridden once a day. It wasn't regular, it was haphazard and down to luck for the individual horse. And nobody made any allowances for the weather or the amount of work the horses did.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Because nobody monitored which horses were used regularly and therefore got a drink. Most of the lessons were small kids, so the bigger/less popular horses might only be ridden once a day. It wasn't regular, it was haphazard and down to luck for the individual horse. And nobody made any allowances for the weather or the amount of work the horses did.
Ah, that's a different kettle of fish. The system itself is not necessarily "wrong", but not looking after horses properly always is.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yeah, but it's 2020, get with the program. Free choice water isn't rocket surgery. You can place a large mobile tank in the field, use an old bath tub, buy second hand, etc. So no excuse on that front.

And then you could learn how to ride, train, and otherwise manage your horse! But dodgy people gonna be dodgy I guess. If I ever reached a point in my life that I have to dehydrate a horse in order to sell/handle/ride it the I need to walk the eff away and deserve a swift kick in the arse.

That's great that watering horses twice a day works for someone. That's great that wild horses may go 2 or more days without returning for water. If you want to justify that to be lazy or use old fashioned "logic" then be my guest if that works for you. I'll be the odd one that actually gives my horse access to water 24/7. Mostly because I have bad luck and a horse that I don't trust not to colic or come down with some other ailment ? so I do all that I can in an effort to avoid the vet and ensure my horse's wellbeing.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I knew a man who did this who won every show with a stallion because it was so well behaved (and a nice stallion too ill admit, but i have seen him when it didnt happen and he was a beast, like a stallion would be, and got kicked out of the ring once) it made me very sad.

Erm, "he was a beast, like a stallion would be..."

I don't like this attitude toward stallions, personally, but I understand that we all have our views and experiences.

Being a stallion is no excuse for bad behavior. And not all stallions are this way. It's a handler issue. They either failed to train/care for the horse properly or failed to geld the horse.

Apparently I'm feeling feisty this morning, my apologies ?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yeah, but it's 2020, get with the program. Free choice water isn't rocket surgery. You can place a large mobile tank in the field, use an old bath tub, buy second hand, etc. So no excuse on that front.

And then you could learn how to ride, train, and otherwise manage your horse! But dodgy people gonna be dodgy I guess. If I ever reached a point in my life that I have to dehydrate a horse in order to sell/handle/ride it the I need to walk the eff away and deserve a swift kick in the arse.

That's great that watering horses twice a day works for someone. That's great that wild horses may go 2 or more days without returning for water. If you want to justify that to be lazy or use old fashioned "logic" then be my guest if that works for you. I'll be the odd one that actually gives my horse access to water 24/7. Mostly because I have bad luck and a horse that I don't trust not to colic or come down with some other ailment ? so I do all that I can in an effort to avoid the vet and ensure my horse's wellbeing.
Oh don't get me wrong, I've never, ever kept horses without 24hr access to water, but it is perfectly possible to keep them under a different system that isn't necessarily "wrong" in that the horses are NOT dehydrated, stressed or unhappy. Deliberately dehydrating a horse - for any reason - is just plain abuse.

*We like you when you're feisty :)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have worked where horses are offered water rather than have it their stables it’s still relatively common abroad .
dehydrating horses is a dealers trick .
the wildest horse will behave calmly when dehydrated I always check this when I am looking .
If the horse is tied up without water when I get they always ask them to let it loose with a bucket in its stable .
I also always do a pinch test before I get on .
when I was competing they used to check for horses without water before the dressage at FEI competitions.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Oh don't get me wrong, I've never, ever kept horses without 24hr access to water, but it is perfectly possible to keep them under a different system that isn't necessarily "wrong" in that the horses are NOT dehydrated, stressed or unhappy. Deliberately dehydrating a horse - for any reason - is just plain abuse.

*We like you when you're feisty :)

except before surgery .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You cannot compare the needs of a wild herd compared to a domesticated horse. In the wild the horse 'chooses' when they will drink, so essentially they have ad lib water at their disposal whenever they choose to go and get it.

This isn't true though Mrs J, is it? Surely only the herd leader chooses when to take the herd to the water source, and my understanding is that the herd will have a regular "time slot" at that water source every day. If we are talking truly wild horses in barren country where water sources are few and far between.

NinjaPony

Visit site
The depths of depravity humans sink to never ceases to amaze and disgust me.

The only time I've ever pulled my horse off a yard was because on 'full' livery, he was being given half a bucket of water expected to last from 3pm to 9am. When I asked nicely if he could have more, because I'd been topping it up myself when I visited after work, and found that he only had an inch left at 7pm, I was told no, it's a waste of water. So we moved that week.

Equi

Visit site
Erm, "he was a beast, like a stallion would be..."

I don't like this attitude toward stallions, personally, but I understand that we all have our views and experiences.

Being a stallion is no excuse for bad behavior. And not all stallions are this way. It's a handler issue. They either failed to train/care for the horse properly or failed to geld the horse.

Apparently I'm feeling feisty this morning, my apologies ?
I mean beast in a positive way. I like stallions to be powerful and full of presence not standing with their head between their two front knees.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
This isn't true though Mrs J, is it? Surely only the herd leader chooses when to take the herd to the water source, and my understanding is that the herd will have a regular "time slot" at that water source every day. If we are talking truly wild horses in barren country where water sources are few and far between.

Fair point - I am sure I should have a good counter argument but just can't seem to come up with one right now ! :D

Flame_

Visit site
I find it odd that it works. I'd assume it would make the horse agitated, un-coordinated and unpredictable. Dehydration makes me really sick - like lie down and refuse to do anything sick. It's weird that it makes horses more cooperative.