Results from vetting? Would you buy....

Blizzard

Visit site
The oldest horse Ive ever had is my current mare, and she is only 12.

I would just want to know I could do everything for him if he needed it if you know what I mean.

Tia

Visit site
The insurance companies will insure for vet fees for accidents (as you previously said). How many times have you called the vet out in the recent few years for something other than accidents? You have to weigh up the pro's and con's really.

16 or 18 would make no never mind to me - but if it does to you then maybe you should try to find something a bit younger that you won't worry about so much if it needed vet treatment.

Over here I have about 12 horses of my own and none are insured for vet fees. I had a horse die a couple of months ago and her full treatment trying to keep her alive only cost me $150. When my stallion broke his neck I called in the wrong vets (I was new to the area) and they charged me $1,000 for nothing except mis-diagnosis, then when I called in my wonderful vet now and he diagnosed him properly - my bill for 6 months worth of treatment was only about $200.

Now one of those above was an accident which in your case would have been covered by insurance; and the other wasn't but was very cheap.

It really is your call. Maybe it would do you good to go and look at some other horses?

watcherathome

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The oldest horse Ive ever had is my current mare, and she is only 12.

I would just want to know I could do everything for him if he needed it if you know what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think as long as you are careful about things like worming and teeth, feed appropriately and warm up and cool down you could have many happy years out of this horse. He might need a little tlc than you are used to, but is really no more likely to get sick than any other horse.

Blizzard

Visit site
Thanks everyone, very interestinhg about scottish equestrian coverin until they are 20, also heard petplan are pretty good too so wil try them both.

Yes we have still been looking at other horses (2 tomorrow actually) but none of theones we have seen compare to he 16 yr old, which I suppose is good for us to do because it is showing what a find he is!

Stella

Visit site
I wouldn't because you wouldn't get cover for vets fees at that age
frown.gif
Its one thing paying out lots of money for a horse who has served you well, but chancing it with a new one is different
frown.gif

If I was shopping, I'd be seriously interested in one on www.horsequest.co.uk in the Cobs section from somewhere called Mannix Equestrian. 16.2h bay, 8 years old £2750! The ad is headed 'One in a Million'. He's just my cup of tea and he sounds like he would suite your OH too
smile.gif

Stella

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The insurance companies will insure for vet fees for accidents (as you previously said). How many times have you called the vet out in the recent few years for something other than accidents?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish my answer to this wasn't so pessimistic! I or rather my insurrance company have paid out thousands of pounds (for two different horses) in the last couple of years on ailments, not one penny has been as a result of an accident
shocked.gif

Blizzard

Visit site
Thanks Stella I will have a look,

Im seeing 2 horses tomorrow on behalf of a family member, however they also sound exactly what we are looking for:

one is a bay 16hh, 9 yr old MW gelding, ideal beginners, done a bit of everything, totally quiet and bombproof. £1800

The other is a 6yr old chestnut gelding, 16.1hh, also bombproof and quiet, £1500.

no tack/rugs .

We would lose our deposit on the older one and our vetting costs (gulp £400 in total!) but OH reckons it may be worth it to get a younger horse that we can insure, so torn!
confused.gif

star

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The insurance companies will insure for vet fees for accidents (as you previously said). How many times have you called the vet out in the recent few years for something other than accidents?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish my answer to this wasn't so pessimistic! I or rather my insurrance company have paid out thousands of pounds (for two different horses) in the last couple of years on ailments, not one penny has been as a result of an accident
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

my insurance have paid out £5000 in the last 4yrs on my horse on 2 separate claims - one was proximal suspensory desmitis at the age of 15 and the other was annular ligament problems this year at the age of 19. neither of which were accidents. luckily because i was with this insurance company before he turned 16 they have continued to cover for illness and injuries, not just accidents.

Snowberry

Visit site
The age wouldnt bother me in the slightest - heck I've bought ponies in their 20's just because I could rely on them to look after their jockey's and they knew their job!!!!

Glen is now 23 and going strong, no signs of old age (apart from a slightly woolier coat this year!!) We have insurance on Glen but for injury only - TBH his insurance premium is only a fiver a month so I figured if I saved what I'd paid on insurance that would cover any illness (does that make sense??! LOL)
Glen has given my kids everything, he's one in a million and was worth every single penny - you cant put a price on safety.
I'd buy the horse if it were me - if you had to sell him in 2yrs when your partner was more confident then you'd still get £1k for a bombproof 18/20yr old horse.

(ps. Our oldest one we had lived until she was 38yrs old and was still hacked out and used to teach kids on!!!)

hotpot

Visit site
hi i would not let the age put you off as others have said my friend has loaned a lovely gelding who was 27 when she took him on and he is so young at heart doing sponsered rides and hacks out daily he has arthritis in his hock ,and deals with it wonderfully, so dont be put off about the insurance i think that n.f.u do vetrans you only what vet cover and poss lib cover. he looks lovely and as you say safe i would have him and enjoy the time you have with him you can not put a price on safty can you , good luck.

mostfunintown

Visit site
scottish equestrian do a good oap insurance, and you would find most vets will treat your horse and allow you to pay the bills monthly, If you dicuss this with your vets they will often allow this with a very low intrest rate and sometimes no interest at all.

hotpot

Visit site
hi i have read all the answers and for what it is worth i would buy him he sounds a lovely horse and just what you hubby wants you both sound like yoou have bonded any way so i hope you do take the chance let us all know.....