Retained Testicle

hayinamanger

Visit site
Drove 200 miles yesterday to see a 3 month old colt foal.
He was exactly what l am looking for BUT as I examined him I discover that he has a retained testicle.
The owner was aware of this but had not told me, ok I should have asked if both were decended.
I know that the testicle may possibly be able to be reached manually but it is also possible that it could be in the abdomen and would require a GA to remove and cost £££
My vet says walk away but I am considering a part vetting WWYD please?

twiggy2

Visit site
A part vetting may not give you definitive answers.
I would walk away, at three months old so much may change in looks and temperament before you get to doing much with him so it's a gamble anyway, you just making the gamble less in your favour by taking a foal with a known issue from the start

paddi22

Visit site
last colt I had dropped his at 2 and a half years old. I just hung on waiting in hope because I didn't want to pay for the op! The vet said the cost of the op can vary a lot, it's not that expensive unless the testicle is in a particularly tricky place in relation to the abdomen. they said most are fairly easy to find and it's not a major op. on the other hand a recent 'simple' gelding job turned into a thousand plus pound vet bill due to a common infection issue afterwards. so there's no guarantee any gelding process will be cheap and easy, even if it looks straightforward.

if it was a colt I really liked and I had the set up to wait a while to see if it dropped then I'd have no issue getting it. the odds of it dropping over time are very good.

hayinamanger

Visit site
If you like him then I would put a deposit down subject to him having both testicles present at weaning. Or subject to him being gelded before he comes to you and let the vendor take the gamble
If you like him then I would put a deposit down subject to him having both testicles present at weaning. Or subject to him being gelded before he comes to you and let the vendor take the gamble
Thanks TheMule, that's a great idea and takes the pressure off for a while x