Retirement livery - anyone know these places

maxapple

Visit site

wyrdsister

Visit site
Monshall is fab. One of mine lived out the last 4-5 years of his life there and had a lovely time, didn't even start to look his age (32) until the last part of the final year, then Nat organised a peaceful send-off before the winter. She even managed to accommodate my tricky, lami-prone, EMS-positive, 'I don't want to be retired' younger mare for 2 years turn-away to recover from an injury. Both were very well looked after, happy, and content. I went to see them quite often (it's only about an hour from me) and was always pleased with the care they received. Nat knows all 'her' horses well and makes sure they have everything they need.

Mariposa

Visit site
I have a mare at Gorgeous Grazing and cannot recommend Kim highly enough! I searched high and low for a retirement livery that felt right, and travelled down to Cornwall to see her and the farm, and sent my mare a few weeks later.

Fortuna is 20yr old, ex polo pony and she seems to be thriving under Kim's care! Kim is lovely, very caring - the place is right on the coast so lovely climate ( seems to be a little milder down there) and fresh sea air! She is well fed, looks very well and sees very happy.

I also sent all my polo ponies down there for a holiday this autumn. I'm very clucky about them and I don't' think I'd have trusted anyone but Kim with them. Not only is it very affordable but she looks after them like they are her own, and mine all came back looking very covered, shiney and very happy!

She regularly updates the facebook page with photos, which I love! https://www.facebook.com/GorgeousGrazing?fref=ts

Here are my lot in October ( love Toque in the corner coming to demand more apples from her!) - apologies for massive pic.
1231490_242655065887976_1009903852_n.jpg

maxapple

Visit site
Thank you. I am looking at both as possibilities as have heard good things about them.

Problem is I live miles away - but would be prepared to look at getting over that hurdle (travelling is an issue) for the perfect place for a perfect retirement.

maxapple

Visit site
Sorry - pressed enter too soon!!

Mariposa - that looks idyllic and they look very content!

wyrdsister - that also sounds perfect. I just want the best possible home and where I live (kent) there is nothing like it! Its such an emotional decision as I have seen my boy every day for the last 7 years, but I'd rather think of his happiness and him being in the perfect home rather than somewhere second best just so I still see him daily. And it would be a perfect excuse for regular holidays at the coast!

Mariposa

Visit site
Thank you. I am looking at both as possibilities as have heard good things about them.

Problem is I live miles away - but would be prepared to look at getting over that hurdle (travelling is an issue) for the perfect place for a perfect retirement.

If it makes you feel any better I live mostly in London, so a good 5 hours on a train from Cornwall. I think wherever you send your horse you need to feel confident that the person looking after it will treat it as their own, and look after them - it's the trust which is the hardest thing. I clucked and fussed over Fortuna going to Cornwall and it took me over a year to actually find somewhere I liked, but now I see regular photos and get updates whenever I want, I've visited her once this year and I'm kept up to date with all the goings on. I'm not saying it's easy being so far away, but as the place is affordable I figure I can use that saved money for my train ticket down there to see her.

Good luck wherever you send you retired horse, hope it all goes well!

wyrdsister

Visit site
See if you can arrange a day to visit the places and get a feel for them - and have a look at the FB pages too, Nat also keeps owners up to date with pictures and emails, which is very reassuring. My decision was made easier because I had a few friends with horses at Monshall (one of whom was part of the herd my mare was with and they had lived together in the past), so I knew it that way to begin with. But if you get a chance to go and have a look around you should be able to figure out which will suit your beastie best. Nat's got a caravan at hers that people can stay in and there are some nice B&Bs in the general area too, so it shouldn't be so bad to make a trip to find out what works and then to visit when you've decided. Good luck!

maxapple

Visit site
Thanks both of you - I would go and look and agree its the trust thing that's the hardest. I'm getting my head around that I need to do what is best for my horse rather than what is good for me.

KVH - I do know of Mrs Kings but I want them at somewhere totally natural like these places as they live out on hundreds of acres which is just lovely.

maxapple

Visit site
I have looked at Worsenden's website - but it says they get 4 hours of T/O in the winter and I'd like mine out 24/7

I's also like a well established retirement livery place rather than one just setting up (Treetops)

Thanks for the recommendations however - really appreciate it.

Spot_On

Visit site
I have looked at Worsenden's website - but it says they get 4 hours of T/O in the winter and I'd like mine out 24/7

I's also like a well established retirement livery place rather than one just setting up (Treetops)

Thanks for the recommendations however - really appreciate it.

I am sure you can have them out more than 4 hours (despite what it says on web site), maybe drop them a phone call to ask?

Ladyinred

Visit site
There is a place doing 24/7 turnout retirement livery in West Sussex, near Mayfield, but I can't for the life of me think of the name. It is with someone I would highly recommend. As soon as I recall it I will let you know.

Tinypony

Visit site
There is a place doing 24/7 turnout retirement livery in West Sussex, near Mayfield, but I can't for the life of me think of the name. It is with someone I would highly recommend. As soon as I recall it I will let you know.

Rushers Cross Farm. I don't know if she is taking any more, but maybe worth a call. The oldies live out 24/7 most of the time, but sometimes come in for a break when the weather is really bad, or to have a snooze away from flies in the summer. http://www.rusherscrosslivery.co.uk/services/