Retirement Livery - Personal Recommendations pleeease?!

almostthere

Visit site
Ok - so I know not strictly Comp but he is an ex-2* eventer and so deserves his spot here ;-) Finally, finally I have made the heart breaking decision to retire him. Even though I have only had him for 4 years (so post his "proper" eventing career) this is my horse of a lifetime and means the world to me and so I need to make the "right" decision for him. He has defied the vets who have written him off a number of times (and has sent me down retirement home paths before only to bounce back) but having ridden him last night, I just "knew" that whilst the mind is willing the body isn't any more and he needs a chance to have at least the Summer being a horse. I am actually not sure he will retire well - he has lived his life on busy competition yards and usually drags you out to the field and then 2 hours later stands politely at the gate to come in! So ideally I need him somewhere where all the other horses are in the same routine and then I think he will settle better.
I am obviously terrified about some of the horror stories we all read and so I am appealing to the vast knowledge and experience of this forum for personal recommendations. I am prepared to make the ultmate decision if that is best for him but I want to give him a chance first. Please pm me if you would prefer. We are based in Guildford at moment....

A1fie

Visit site
I think henryhorn on here has retirement liveries but i'm not 100% sure. Also she has has a lot of experience with eventers.

almostthere

Visit site
Thank you! Yes someone else recommended them before but I saw another post that she no longer accepts retirement liveries. Will PM her. Thanks again.

Luci07

Visit site
Actually you might want to try your luck with my mare. My yard has specifically taken on a field away from our yard for 3 retirement liveries. We are clubbing together to buy field shelters but the idea is that, in my mares case, she will be driven off the yard, won't know where she is and have access to a shelter to meet her stabling requirements. Shelter will be deep littered and yard will be checking daily and mucking out the shelter weekly. I will probably keep my mare on a cheat feed as she loves her grub and they will put out haylage come winter time. We are on top of Ranmore in Dorking. Horses in that field are not meant to be coming or going or even, in my case, back to the yard so they stay settled. I am in EXACTLY the same position as you in terms of horse having very specific requirements about coming in after only a couple of hours, hence big field, lots of grass and mare not knowing where she is....Field is only some 300 yards away from main yard but well behind a massive hedge hence mare not quite knowing where she is (well thats the idea!) Mare is also a retired 2* eventer.

SteveGG

Visit site
Hi,

I can also recommend maple farm liveries - I have had a horse there for several years (the 17.3 Palomino if you look on the website).