Retirement/rehab in South West

Mrs B

Visit site
A fellow livery has a pony with suspensory damage and the mare really cannot tolerate box rest. Doesn't even like being in a stable with a barnful of company - stresses, weaves, box-walks, you name it. Everything has been tried in the past to settle her, to no avail.

The only hope she has is to be out in a settled herd for 6 months+ and to try and let nature heal her.

Any recommendations?

HelenBack

Visit site
If the pony can go barefoot then there is a track livery place near Bristol Airport that could be suitable. They have a surfaced track and a grass one and the horses are accommodated according to their needs so the pony could have relatively restricted movement on good surfaces without being confined to a stable.

Google hoof help Bristol and I think that should bring it up. Probably not the cheapest option but could be worth a go.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Lowertown Farm on Dartmoor always seems very good, I did meet the owners a few years back and thought they were sensible farming people. Does depends where you’re looking in the sw though.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
What particular area are you looking for??

There IS a place up on Haldon Hill nr Exeter in Devon; they're a barefoot place and I went out there to look around for ideas when I was transitioning mine.

They will take horses specifically for "transitioning" - don't know if they'd offer retirement livery as such, but I put it forth as perhaps they might??

It is a lovely place and I would have been happy to send my two there; however they are not cheap!! Can't remember how much, but you're talking serious money. But for that they would give the horse serious attention and you wouldn't be talking about a quick glance across the field, it would be what it says on the tin, end of.

Can't recall the name of it now; the woman who runs it does barefoot trimming.......... dang it, wish could remember the name!! Perhaps someone else would know.

Don't know if they would accept a horse with shoes or not........... but presumably if the horse is needing "retirement livery" the shoes would be coming off anyway??

paddy555

Visit site
What particular area are you looking for??

There IS a place up on Haldon Hill nr Exeter in Devon; they're a barefoot place and I went out there to look around for ideas when I was transitioning mine.

They will take horses specifically for "transitioning" - don't know if they'd offer retirement livery as such, but I put it forth as perhaps they might??

It is a lovely place and I would have been happy to send my two there; however they are not cheap!! Can't remember how much, but you're talking serious money. But for that they would give the horse serious attention and you wouldn't be talking about a quick glance across the field, it would be what it says on the tin, end of.

Can't recall the name of it now; the woman who runs it does barefoot trimming.......... dang it, wish could remember the name!! Perhaps someone else would know.

Don't know if they would accept a horse with shoes or not........... but presumably if the horse is needing "retirement livery" the shoes would be coming off anyway??

is this where you mean?
http://www.willhayesequestrian.co.u...j84zhT1RDsZGRaQNRevbOsjOnjQd33eaOAg5l17eVKjPo

Mrs B

Visit site
Sorry! I wrote the following yesterday, and hadn't actually posted it! ??

Thanks all - will pass on the info.
(We're on the coast, Devon/Dorset border).

They don't want to retire her, just give her a chance to heal and then bring her back into work hopefully in the future. She's currently not shod behind.