Retiring a horse

eahotson

Visit site
How do you know when is the right time? I have a welsh section D who is 21 years old.He is lovely and as yard manager points out I would have a very hard job finding another one like him.He has a temperament second to none.
About 5 or 6 years ago he had mild spavin which was treated very successfully and there has been no further issues.However the farrier who has shod him for the last 12 years since I bought him reports that he is now in a lot of pain when having his back legs lifted and he thinks he may have a sacro illiac problem.He has been referred to the vet who thinks it may be referred pain from somewhere else but he is going in the investigation and treatment.It is almost certain that it is arthritis in some form or other.
Some of my feelings are mixed up with what happened to my much loved and missed little dog who died last year while we were on holiday.She was ill in the afternoon, I took her to the local vets.She was as bright as a button on the vets table so we bought her back and then she died.It took a few minutes and there was literally nothing I could do except stay with her and try and comfort her but if I knew then what I know now I would have had her put down that afternoon.I suppose what I mean is I don't want to spin everything out until the last second.
On the plus side he is sound.He is well in himself and the advice from physio and vet is to ride gentley to keep him going until he has his investigations.He appears to enjoy his work and to have no other pain issues.
There is a retirement place near to me which I think he would love and I feel he does deserve a nice retirement.
There is a further issue. Me. I am aged it is safe to say but feel I may have one more horse left in me and think it may be better now than maybe in two or three years time.A lot will depend on what is found at the vets.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I don't think he can be sound if he is in pain - if he was billaterally lame he could appear sound. See how you get on with the vet and take his advise. If he enjoys being ridden and daily dannilon will keep him comfy that's fine. But if you think you want another horse sooner rather than later and have a good retirement option then do that. The main thing right now is to find out the problem

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The best decisions are informed ones. I don't think you can make an informed decision until you have the results of the investigations but if you would like to start looking now for another horse with a view to retiring your current ride, I don't think that there would be anything wrong in retiring him before the vet says that you must/should.

Shay

Visit site
Take your vets advice. It may be possible to medicate the joint pain is origionating in and continue in light work. We finally retired our 28 year old this year. We tried to retire him 5 years ago but he wasn't happy. We'd injected his hocks to help athritis in his last full on ridden year - he had one more PC Champs in him. But he clearly wasn't happy retired so we re-medicated very year or so and he carried on in light work - not completeing or hunting anymore. Just hacking and helping DD's grildfreind learn to ride. This spring he was clearly less happy ridden. We did remedicate on schedule and he did improve but he just wasn't his happy sunny self so we fully retired him. He is much happier in himself now than he was when we tried before. Hopefully he still has a few years as a much loved feild ornament!

But it all starts with Vets advice.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
How long has he lived where he is? I am only wondering if it is a long time would he be happy at the change of home for retirement? If you go that route could you do a trial run first?

eahotson

Visit site
How long has he lived where he is? I am only wondering if it is a long time would he be happy at the change of home for retirement? If you go that route could you do a trial run first?
He has lived in his current livery yard for about twelve years.Yes there may be some stress initially BUT this yard would not be suitable for retirement due to the very limited turnout in the winter.

eahotson

Visit site
Thanks for replies.I am just considering my future options but his welfare comes first and as people say,a lot depends on what the vet finds.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
A lot of older horses struggle with the farrier as some really lift there leg high, you could speak to your vet and try giving his some Bute before hand, my mare had stifle arthritis and she struggled being shod behind so I took them off in the end, she coped fine without shoes behind and was only doing light work anyway.

It also wouldn't hurt to have a lameness check from your vet if your really worried about it.

Sorry just seen you are having a vet check I must have missed that bit the first time, I hope you get to the bottom of it and hopefully it's nothing too serious and can be helped please let us know how it goes.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Retirement may suit - or it may not. You need to keep an eye on their weight, particularly. You haven't said whether he is on medication for Cushing's - a disease which can make them appear a but stiff. They can't half liven up after being put on Prascend. Don't mistake stiffness for early-stage laminitis. Just a different take on it.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think there are 2 things to consider here...

1. When is the right time for the horse? I believe this is when they no longer enjoy their work, or they have something that could cause you a danger (such as a heart condition or stumbling). I'm not averse to a sachet of Bute to help them keep the appetite for gentle hacking, but won't Bute for hard work. I don't believe they "need" a retirement, I think that generally they like to be ticked over. Not that there is anything wrong with retiring, in a heard with whatever comforts they require.

2. When is the right time for you? You sound like you would prefer to start another now. Could you start looking now, and retire yours once you are up and running with another? Sometimes it is nice to have a comfy horse to retreat to when you have a new one. Restful!

eahotson

Visit site
When I spoke to the vet she said she was hopeful of finding the cause of the pain and treating it.If not then danilon was plan b.Part of me wants to keep this horse going.He has been a really good boy,the other part wouldn't mind starting another while I am young enough,just!! to do it.I will await the vets verdict.

eahotson

Visit site
Retirement may suit - or it may not. You need to keep an eye on their weight, particularly. You haven't said whether he is on medication for Cushing's - a disease which can make them appear a but stiff. They can't half liven up after being put on Prascend. Don't mistake stiffness for early-stage laminitis. Just a different take on it.
He hasn't got cushings.He had a geriatric check up about two months ago and was tested for it then.