Retraining a Racehorse- Advice:Will i be fighting a losing battle?

langside

Visit site
Been offered my grandads old racehorse to ride over winter seems he's not quite taken with the life of retirement too well (jumping out of his field or looking depressed in the field)

He's a very sane horse for a racer who was quite sucessful in his career (completed the grand national and won a few pennies for us)

But he's now 13
So was Just wondering how old is too old to change his ways so to speak (mainly regarding dressage)? or if anyone has had simular experiences before as i know most of you are more experienced in this than me?

He doesn't owe us anything so as long as he's happy thats fine just would like to know if theres anychance of getting just 10% back from the 100% i'd be putting into him

MillbrookSong

heartbuster.blogspot.com
My oldest that i had was 11 i think when i had him. He took to it quite well and he was a very buzzy character.

Im sure your chap will be a lot easier. One thing i did find helpful and i have used on my pointer as well was one of the bungies that go over there heads through the bit and on to the girth - i had it on its loosest setting and it just stops them getting there head right up but isnt set, if that makes sense!

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Iam a keen NH follower.. whats his name?? I 've prob got him on video racing!!
I don't think age is the key factor to re-training. If they want to please you, they will - what ever it might be!

lisa_dundee

Visit site
I have used the bungee rein before and they are a little more forgiving than many of the other training aids out there and I swear by the pessoa, that brough Lewus on in leaps and bounds and really helped strengthen his canter.

langside

Visit site
Millbrooksong - thanks for that he's def working the 'giraffe neck' look! Did you just start using the bungee when he was on the lunge or when you were on?

Lisa- yes he really is a lovely chap (main reason my grandad still has him as he's 82 now and still leads him in and out of the field!) i just don't want to stress him out by asking too much so to speak

Angua2

Visit site
Sounds like he would be up for a challenge!!...... Why don't you give it a go, he could well surprise you and at the end of the day you both gain so much more from the experience so what do you have to loose..... at the very worst you could end up with a "happy hacker"

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I have a friend who takes her grandfather's racehorses to dressage competitions when they come out of training for a break. One did a dressage competition at Plumpton College about a month after racing over hurdles at Plumpton. She then went on to race at Plumpton a few months later (and was placed). She does Walk/Trot tests and Prelim.

So it can be done.

jumptoit

Visit site
My gelding is an 'ex - racer' who never raced, he was that useless at it, which many have said makes them a little bit crackers which is erm . . rather true to say the least
blush.gif
But I think with consistent work they will make nice all rounders. They always will have a huge scopey jump and tend to help you out in tricky situations rather than putting a stop. The trouble is just controlling their jump and refining it but that comes in time with the flatwork and lots of different exercises to make them think.

The other thing I've found really useful is my pessoa, regularly getting my Dad to lunge him in it has helped lots with everything as he's built up the right muscles.

It's taken me a good couple of years to get him to a point where I'm finally beginning to enjoy him and be able to use his huge jump but that was mainly down to the fact he was my first proper horse (huge fat hairy things with lots of feathers don't count
tongue.gif
) and I really hadn't got a clue having gone from little wizzy jumping pony who we gave up on dressage wise. Looking back someone with some experience would probably have got this far in 6 months!

Also they are very clever and need lots to think about when being ridden but on the plus side they are generally very relaxed in the stable and on the lorry etc.

So yep I'd go for it, I reckon you will learn a lot and enjoy it at the same time
smile.gif

langside

Visit site
i think to be fair he will end up being a happy hacker but i was going to hopefully school him to so was thinking of creating an aim e.g a little unaff show during xmas

I would love to train him up to maybe event but don't think his legs would hold up (been fired in the past so not even sure if thats allowed under rules?)

part of the agreement is that he's also been promised to his old groom as a hunter for Wed meets who i think would really love to have him if he could afford the time to keep him

thanks for all the encouragement everyone
smile.gif

archiesmum

Visit site
I got Archie at 15 from racing and he is still active and learning and improving more than ever at 18!! Give it a whirl, you've got nothing to lose! Good luck!
smile.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I know of another national horse, that after retiring from racing, had a few years as a hack, decided that retirment really wasn't for him, so aged 16 took up eventing.. aged 17 he went to the JRN Champs with a 17 yr old rider on.. i think they did pretty well too..

It all depends on the horse!!

Chloe_GHE

Visit site
I sincerly hope that's not too old as I have an 11yr old ex p2p ex racer waiting to be reschooled into event material (he doesn't know that yet!) I think if he is injury free, with no physical side affects from racing then if you approach it the rihgt way and he takes to it you shhould see a big change in him.

ELF

Visit site
Totally echo the plug for the Pessoa, I bought Gates 12 months ago off the track, very thin and quite broken - very sore back but clean limbed. Used the pessoa 3/4 times a week for the first 6 weeks and it really helped him - i'm not one for gadgets but I wouldn't be without that now! I did 5 BE90's with him this year and he's 13 and raced over 50 times. Like others have said I think it's more the horse than the age - I'd like to think that Gates loves his new life!

oldvic

Visit site
Royal Athlete competed in dressage after he retired. Be careful with the bungee as some horses can panic a bit with them if they come up against it and don't understand. If he has gone with his head high for a long time he will have developed muscle so it is more comfortable for him to go that way than correctly. It will still be possible to improve him.

MillbrookSong

heartbuster.blogspot.com
With both of mine i put it on and just walked them around. Thay were both only just coming back in to work so didnt want to lunge them. I dont know about the passoa i have never had the money to buy one and dont lunge that oftern!

Think the best race horse to riding horse was Mr Frisk - won the national and then went advanded eventing!!

soupdragon71

Visit site
Go for it! I got mine as a 11yo whio had done well as a race horse but spat the dummy out after a big win at Perth as a 9yo, been sent p2p but wasn't stupid and knew it was still racing, then stood in a field for a year. (His half brother has won the grand national and other half brother has ran at least twice).

He was so depressed when he arrived - he was desperate to do something - and has proved to always given his all.

Our 1st dressage was a disaster - he jumped out of the arena and was so stressed but judges comments (and she was a judge that was always harsh) were that he was a 'lovely horse with great natural paces'. After this he always did well, but as a tb was always marked down because of tension, but made up for it because was always obedient - and I'm not a dressage rider. He has been a horse in a million - took me up to pn eventing, before we discovered he had spavin. He is sound - 17yo and occasionally I let him jump on good ground and he loves it. We also still go to the beach for a gallop and he still woops the youngsters asses!

You will have such a good time with your tb - they are so clever and thrive on work. numerous (knowledgeable) people have told me that mine would have gone advanced eventing. if only we had got hold of him as a 5yo but he wouldn't have been the horse that i have known! I wouldn't have been the one sitting on him going advanced that's for sure!