Retraining an ex racehorse - not to gallop off!

Stenners

Visit site
I have just purchased an ex-racehorse straight from the track. Ive now had him for about 5-6 weeks. He had the first 2 weeks just chilling out being a horse as I was getting married. Now he's in some work and hacking/schooling.

I have hacked out a couple of times with a friend just walking and then introduced some trotting and he was great - this is round the farm where he is kept.

I then took him out at the weekend, we had a little canter, he was strong and wanted to go but I managed to pull him up and he was fine.

I have done it again a she had been so good and this time - he got away from me, I couldn't hold him and he galloped back to the stable yard. I tried turning him but then he just got fast - he slipped and I came off balance and lsot my rein and stirrup and then he got even faster. He stopped as soon as he got to the concrete on the yard.

I know it's what they are trained to do and yes I appreciate I have probably done things a little quick but he has been so chilled and taken everything in his stride.

My question is has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you stop? I have read that you pull on their mouth and they go faster so I tried not to do this but nothing else was working! I just need to de sensitise him from galloping flat out on a hack and going home!

I'm now doing lots of schooling and working on getting him to stop in a confined space. He's in a snaffle and I don't really want to put him in anything stronger yet.

Any advice would be great!

paddi22

Visit site
with my exracer i found pulling back on a neck start stopped him well when we were in fields.

Stenners

Visit site
I had a martingale on and to be honest I didn't even think of trying to pull on that... maybe I should have given that a go! Did yours used to try to gallop off?

Damnation

Visit site
Ex racers, pulling on reins means faster. Soften your contact, sit deep and really brace your back against his movement. Don't "fix" your hands, try and just gently vibrate/slightly move the reins with your fingers (NOT saw on his mouth) just so that he doesn't have a solid contact to fix on and ignore. Ensure you sit up straight and don't lean forward as this is another "go" signal.

I usually find that flexing their neck when you feel them beginning to straighten and set their neck helps as it makes it more difficult for them to really get away from you.

These are the tools I would use if he tries to get away from you again, however, for now I would not canter him out hacking or in open spaces for now. Try and focus on schooling him a little first. You need to get this horse used to a differant style of riding, using and responding to differant aids. Have a few lessons, get him happy in the school in walk trot and canter and really focus on the brakes!!! Then try a little canter out hacking. Hacking in his head is probably to the gallops so very exciting! He needs to learn that hacking is chill time!

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

Akkalia1

Visit site
As you say, you've probably taken things a little quick. How old is he and how long did he race for? I also bought my ex-racer straight off the track in March, she had a month chilling out then I started doing lots of groundwork with her before progressing to riding in my field and hacking. I haven't even entertained the thought of cantering in an open space as I suspect we would have issues. However my girl is only 4 and very much a baby still so it may be a slightly different scenario and of course they're all different. My previous ex-racer I was cantering down the beach from the start as she was so good. She never took off once.

To be honest I think I've taken things a little quickly with my current mare, we started having napping issues out hacking and some anxiety kicked in. I've gone back a stage and am doing lots of long reining and looooooong walks out in hand to regain her confidence. Will start long-reining her on hacks once I'm confident with doing it. I'm also recruiting an instructor to help me in all areas with her.

I think in your shoes your boy obviously sounds to be taking things in his stride more than my girl but I would probably do as you say - work in a confined space for a while before re-trying cantering out hacking. Lots of transitions in your confined space, walk to trot for a few strides then back to walk. Same with trot to canter until he's absolutely listening to your aids to come down a transition. Then when you feel ready to try and canter on a hack, try to find maybe a smallish field and work in one corner as if you were in a school before extending the area, again with lots of transitions if possible rather than a big long canter.

Good luck with him, they're hard work but can be so rewarding :)

Stenners

Visit site
Thank you!

He is 4 and has raced 6 times. I did try sitting back but I think I was probably still pulling on his mouth - I tried bridging my reins also and that didn't work! I tried letting go of this mouth and got faster!

He's a quick learner and is happy to work - always got his ears pricked! There is no malice - he's not nasty in any way and is very loving.

Damnation

Visit site
Thank you!

He is 4 and has raced 6 times. I did try sitting back but I think I was probably still pulling on his mouth - I tried bridging my reins also and that didn't work! I tried letting go of this mouth and got faster!

He's a quick learner and is happy to work - always got his ears pricked! There is no malice - he's not nasty in any way and is very loving.

Ah if he is just a baby then a definate schooling focus is needed, just to get him to understand the differant way of riding and new aids.

Still hack but maybe just stick to walk and trot until you have sussed the brakes :)

It could also be a balance issue. Babies generally pull themselves along with their front legs until they learn to balance and "sit up". This means that their weight goes more and more on the forehand and they find it physically difficult to stop with the rider on board. Once his muscle and balance improve, this should too but it does take time :)

Wimbles

Visit site
Although many of the ex racers that we have had have been more likely to grind to a halt rather than to gallop off the couple I have had that have really gone for it I find that actually putting a whole load of leg on them and forcing them to turn sometimes gets their attention back on me but not saying that this will work on them all! Maybe try this concept of "leg on" in the school first.

Always worth considering a back and saddle check too just in case they are trying to run from any pain.

Good luck, he will be worth it but it might take some time to get him thinking in a different way.

Stenners

Visit site
He's had his back checked and had a treatment before I got on and also had a saddle fitted :) he had his teeth done earlier in the year also. I wanted everything done before I got on board!

Akkalia1

Visit site
Although many of the ex racers that we have had have been more likely to grind to a halt rather than to gallop off...

This is more my problem with my mare! She'll stop and not listen to my leg and just back up. What did you do for those that are rather prone to grinding to a halt? I suspect a lot more work on understanding the leg aids will help to some extent but I don't think that's the entire problem!

pippixox

Visit site
I would practice voice command of Whoa!
I have an ex-racer who raced for 5 years before I got him, and found voice commands helped as he listened really well (on the race track it is fast so they don't have a voice to listen)
also, sitting back and as deep as you can in the saddle, and although you can pull back a little, try and keep your hands as low as possible. So your aids are the opposite of the jockey who is up in the saddle with short high reigns.
as others have said, probably just a little too fast and he got confused.
despite years of racing my boy has always been fab, other than a few rushes in the first 6 months or so of learning to be a riding horse, and we have had many controlled canters in open spaces and occasional gallops! Personally I find trying to turn can just end up being a fight as at speed, especially as a young horse with less balance and schooling, you are asking them to do something very difficult. sometimes giving and taking each reign- so pulling on left, then right and so on, can help them soften and focus.

I tend to think ex-racers are basically being re-backed as it is so different being a riding horse and they have often not been taught the basic building blocks as they are on the track so quickly.

Wimbles

Visit site
This is more my problem with my mare! She'll stop and not listen to my leg and just back up. What did you do for those that are rather prone to grinding to a halt? I suspect a lot more work on understanding the leg aids will help to some extent but I don't think that's the entire problem!

We've tried so many different tactics as some work for some horses but not for others. I have found long reining helps as a good start point for thinking forwards, some horses have had to be hacked mainly in trot so that they are constantly thinking forward, if I allow them to walk then the moment I feel them back off it's straight back into trot even if it takes much flapping, growling and kicking! we have also had some horses go out on the lead rein with a rider on board, (you get some very funny looks) then when they start to go backwards there's someone alongside to chivy them along whilst still receiving the leg aids. I've sat for about four hours in a country park waiting until a horse decided that maybe me asking him to walk forwards wasn't such a big ask.....

I currently have a horse who completely plants (and I mean he is completely immovable) and if pushed he will leap spectacularly in flying rear out of nowhere which is fun! I am currently thinking of new tactics for this one but am considering I'm going to have to strap on my brave pants and ride it out!!

Visit site
On the flip side to everyone saying sit deep.

Stand up. Not bolt up right but up out of the saddle and forward. Bridge your reins and pull back with constant even pressure. This is what these horses know. This is how they are pulled up every day of their lives in training. Until they are completely rescheduled.

Of course of the **** really hits the fan, stand, plant one hand on the neck near the wither and pull like heck on the other rein until your arm is sore. Then swop. Until they stop. It's called a jawbreaker and its called that for a reason. So not advised but no horse will risk breaking their jaw as it will bloomin well hurt. As I say a last, last resort but it works 99% of the time u less the horse is truly bolting.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
They are schooled and ridden differently to RS horses, so if you tighten up they will go faster.
I have ridden about 1000 horses, none of them bolted, but quite a few were out of my control. lol.
I ve never done this jaw breaker business, if horse must to go left and there is a brick wall ahead, best to step off.

Last edited:

Ponio_lover

Visit site
On the flip side to everyone saying sit deep.

Stand up. Not bolt up right but up out of the saddle and forward. Bridge your reins and pull back with constant even pressure. This is what these horses know. This is how they are pulled up every day of their lives in training. Until they are completely rescheduled.

I was actually thinking this, as I did (for a very short time) attend a racing college and that's how we pulled them up. I know this type of aid is something you wanna get him out of but I suppose if it happens again it's worth a shot. Just don't suddenly relax and give all the rein back for any reason if attempting this, as they then go even quicker!!

Stenners

Visit site
Thanks everyone - some great ideas here! In the meantime - how do I teach him differently to learn to stop a different way? Any advise would be great!

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Thanks everyone - some great ideas here! In the meantime - how do I teach him differently to learn to stop a different way? Any advise would be great!

Maybe employ instructor to help you? This is one of the fundamental differences between racehorse and riding horse, so not a question I'd expect an ex-racehorse owner to be asking...

spacefaer

Visit site
Back in the day, before it became fashionable to "rescue" ex racehorses, they used to be turned out for 6-12 months, to chill and learn how to be horses. having been handled and stabled as yearlings, raced as 2-3 year olds, and then chucked out for being slow or broken, it gave them down time for any niggling injuries to settle and for them to mature and finish growing.

When did your lad last race? How fit is he? It takes a long time for racing fitness to drop to the point of fitness you would expect from a "normal" 4 year old, where you could rely on baby muscles getting tired......

Akkalia1

Visit site
We've tried so many different tactics as some work for some horses but not for others. I have found long reining helps as a good start point for thinking forwards, some horses have had to be hacked mainly in trot so that they are constantly thinking forward, if I allow them to walk then the moment I feel them back off it's straight back into trot even if it takes much flapping, growling and kicking! we have also had some horses go out on the lead rein with a rider on board, (you get some very funny looks) then when they start to go backwards there's someone alongside to chivy them along whilst still receiving the leg aids. I've sat for about four hours in a country park waiting until a horse decided that maybe me asking him to walk forwards wasn't such a big ask.....

I currently have a horse who completely plants (and I mean he is completely immovable) and if pushed he will leap spectacularly in flying rear out of nowhere which is fun! I am currently thinking of new tactics for this one but am considering I'm going to have to strap on my brave pants and ride it out!!

Thanks Wimbles! I've tried the sitting and waiting but then she starts backing up at speed and threatening to go up! I did a lot of walking her out in hand which I think was helping with her confidence but I maybe didn't do enough as she reverted to napping after a short period of being back on board. We've gone back a stage to lunging and long-reining and I'm definitely going to start long-reining her all over the place so hopefully that will help!

Flying rears are no fun... Plain old normal rears are bad enough!

Meeting with an instructor on Monday to discuss a plan and get some help with the schooling aspect so hopefully onwards and upwards!

Akkalia1

Visit site

Again for this I'd revert to groundwork - it's invaluable. Lunging, getting him to listen to voice aids, then onto long-reining and combining voice aids with rein aids. Then onto riding and combining the voice and rein aids with seat aids. I'd stick at walk and trot for a while until you have success with this.

fatponee

Visit site
Just another line of thought - could he have panicked being out by himself? He's only a baby and possibly never been hacked by himself before, plus he's in a strange new home so will be lacking confidence.

As others have said, I would treat him as a complete newbie to it all. :)