Retraining ex-racers thread

clinkerbuilt

Visit site
Mine is turning into a nice chap. He is being aimed for the Cotswold Cup but will on the whole have a quiet season while he learns his job. I think he will go further than I expected and I am happy to give him the time this year to get it right.
love watching Insey and her let-me-at'em snort.

humblepie

Visit site
My process for what it is worth - he’s gorgeous just from seeing him looking over stable door! That was it for me! But yes interesting to read your new search.

Visit site
My process for what it is worth - he’s gorgeous just from seeing him looking over stable door! That was it for me! But yes interesting to read your new search.

I always like a nice head. Its the one thing you see over the door every day so you have to like it. My method is - spot it on the yard when it arrives, claim it as one of "my" horses and wait for it to finish racing before bringing it home 🤣 slightly unconventional 🤣

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
We have a couple 😉

It will be interesting to many people if you do vlog it all.
You are literally the opposite end of the country! I have messaged some trainers - one was a horse @TheMule saw racing and has been spectacularly useless. Don’t get if you don’t ask! It’s how i ended up with mine. Also messaged someone who has a lot of contacts in the world and people know she loves a very nice one so let her know.

Visit site
You are literally the opposite end of the country! I have messaged some trainers - one was a horse @TheMule saw racing and has been spectacularly useless. Don’t get if you don’t ask! It’s how i ended up with mine. Also messaged someone who has a lot of contacts in the world and people know she loves a very nice one so let her know.

Yeah we are a niche area though we have sent horses way far south in the past.

I do a lot of our rehoming and I like it when people ask if we have a horse that would suit them and say what they are looking for rather than "have you got anything retiring?"

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site

I do a lot of our rehoming and I like it when people ask if we have a horse that would suit them and say what they are looking for rather than "have you got anything retiring?"
Im gonna keep you in mind for when BB needs a friend 😂

LEC

www.youtube.com

My other issue is I am allergic to Saddlers Wells. I appreciate you can rarely get away from him but it needs to be absolutely minimal if he is there and preferably 4th gen in the pedigree and only once. I have others that I really want to see like Busted, Princequillo, Bold Bidder etc. I think it just raises the chances of you getting what you want with those lines multiple times.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
My other issue is I am allergic to Saddlers Wells. I appreciate you can rarely get away from him but it needs to be absolutely minimal if he is there and preferably 4th gen in the pedigree and only once. I have others that I really want to see like Busted, Princequillo, Bold Bidder etc. I think it just raises the chances of you getting what you want with those lines multiple times.
Allergic? He is my boys grandsire 😃

Visit site

Yeah it's hard to get away from Sadler's Wells because he really was so popular. But it is possible. Good luck in your search!

Barton Bounty

Visit site
None of the ones I have taken home have had SW in. One was American through and through, one was French - part Selle Francias, the other one was old enough to be first or 2nd gen only so he avoided it.
I love him to be fair. Im not a fussy persom, only thing i WANT is manners on the ground, anything else is easy lol 😂

Barton Bounty

Visit site
It was by chance that none of mine had him in not design 😂 the next one I will bring home has him as a grandsire on the sires side and Be My Native on the dams side.
SW is BBs grandsire and sire is Bahamian Bounty. Did you ever meet him? I would have loved to 😍his dam was Tenebrae IRE and Dams sire In the Wings IRE

Squeak

Visit site

Out of interest why do you not like SW?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com

Lovely big ginger has no SW and has Princequillo x5. It's a shame he's not a natural mover on the flat (understatement) but he really understands how to jump.

Squeak

Visit site
Interestingly neither of my TB's or my almost full TB had/ have any SW in but they have very similar horses in their pedigree, I'd always just assumed it was due to the popularity of those sires, such as Princequillo, but looking at them all together, they really are incredibly similar. I always have a type and brain that I go for so maybe it isn't coincidental - all have been/ are wonderful horses with an incredible work ethic.

LEC

www.youtube.com
Out of interest why do you not like SW?
I don’t like his body type - lots of muscle mass on spindly legs. They are fast maturing. Also not jumpers or particularly good movers. I don’t really like Northern Dancer (he broke down at 2yo) so prefer to see Mr Prospector if going to end up with Native Dancer. Though I do like Saddlers Wells damline as the Bold Reason.

Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site
I don’t like his body type - lots of muscle mass on spindly legs. They are fast maturing. Also not jumpers or particularly good movers. I don’t really like Northern Dancer (he broke down at 2yo) so prefer to see Mr Prospector if going to end up with Native Dancer.

Really interesting, thank you. I love TB's but am very ignorant about their pedigree in relation to sportshorses/ eventers but find it very fascinating - as I mentioned above I've always gone for a type rather than pedigree but I would love to know more about it.

Barton Bounty

Visit site
I don’t like his body type - lots of muscle mass on spindly legs. They are fast maturing. Also not jumpers or particularly good movers. I don’t really like Northern Dancer (he broke down at 2yo) so prefer to see Mr Prospector if going to end up with Native Dancer. Though I do like Saddlers Wells damline as the Bold Reason.
I never noticed his legs were spindly before , thank goodness BBs aren’t 😂

LEC

www.youtube.com
I basically spent hours looking at TB lines in good eventers and working out what appeared time and time again. Then trying to understand the biomechanics of what made them good sport horses as TBs. Uphill and a shark wither is a good start.

Visit site

He was also slightly pigeon toed.