Retraining ex-racers thread

MummyEms

Visit site
How/ where to sell? The risk is a dealer picking up a cheap horse to sell on quick rather than retrain and him being passed pillar to post. Or another novice overestimating their ability and being out of their depth. Or ending in a welfare situation. How can she find someone genuine and with appropriate experience to retrain him?
I'might be able to help. WhatsApp me on 07741 270437

Squeak

Visit site
You could maybe try a really honest ad on HorseQuest and be really careful who he goes to.

Alternatively giving Ror a ring could be useful. They should hopefully know the retrainers in the area or possibly have some contacts to be able to help.

Well done RF, what a great season you’re having.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
You could maybe try a really honest ad on HorseQuest and be really careful who he goes to.

Alternatively giving Ror a ring could be useful. They should hopefully know the retrainers in the area or possibly have some contacts to be able to help.

Well done RF, what a great season you’re having.

RoR are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard on finding retrainers...

TheMule

Visit site
Our weekly update- I went ahead and gave him a little jump under saddle and he really impressed me with his attitude. We then went on our first outing in the trailer. He settled in the indoor well on his own and then 3 other horses came in which made things a little more lively. He coped really well until they started cantering which did cause a bit of confusion! He came down from the adrenaline high pretty quickly though and he just needs lots of repetition of this so he learns this is just how things are now.

Sorry, only a couple of rubbish pictures

8B5D19D0-BACC-4455-87AF-A7AE34659F47.jpeg8DC304DA-C39D-4757-99E4-2C2688C4A32C.jpeg

BACR

Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker here but I have an exracer and would love to join in with this thread and rest of you that have taken on these beautiful animals. Mine is an ex national hunt horse that has raced 40 times in his previous career, he's a real gut feels, heart strings horse for me. I've bought him with the aim to event but he needed downtime when I got him and had 4 months just enjoying being a horse in the field with new horsey friends. After that he's done lots of ground work, walking in hand, long reining and lunging and it's apparent that he's very trainable and cooperative. Now he's hacking like a pro alone and in company and learning to turn his egg shapes into circles in the school. image3.jpegimage2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

image4.jpeg
I hope you're all having as much of a lovely time with yours as I am with mine. Here's some pictures of him over the 7 months since I got him.

TheMule

Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker here but I have an exracer and would love to join in with this thread and rest of you that have taken on these beautiful animals. Mine is an ex national hunt horse that has raced 40 times in his previous career, he's a real gut feels, heart strings horse for me. I've bought him with the aim to event but he needed downtime when I got him and had 4 months just enjoying being a horse in the field with new horsey friends. After that he's done lots of ground work, walking in hand, long reining and lunging and it's apparent that he's very trainable and cooperative. Now he's hacking like a pro alone and in company and learning to turn his egg shapes into circles in the school. View attachment 97269View attachment 97270View attachment 97271View attachment 97272

View attachment 97273
I hope you're all having as much of a lovely time with yours as I am with mine. Here's some pictures of him over the 7 months since I got him.

What a nice horse- good luck with him, I look forward to seeing your journey

BACR

Visit site
What a nice horse- good luck with him, I look forward to seeing your journey
Thank you very much. I'm taking things very slowly with him. He was initially quite shut down and lacking in confidence but he's coming out of his shell and becoming very bold and brave. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone else's journey too, what a privilege it is to be able to give a new life to these lovely horses.

TheMule

Visit site
Worth anyone with a H&C subscription and an interest in retraining ex racehorses to take a look at the XC footage from the RoR class at Gatcombe this weekend. 12 lovely horses went forwards and made much lighter work of the XC than the Corinthian cup and Open Novice horses did the day after.

I'm going to sit down and enjoy it this evening. Well done again, your boy is definitely up there doing a great publicity job for the ex-racers!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I'm going to sit down and enjoy it this evening. Well done again, your boy is definitely up there doing a great publicity job for the ex-racers!

If people met him in person, he'd do an even better job. He's a giant labrador of a horse - incredibly friendly, nosey, entertaining - just wants to spend time with people. Just makes me LOL every time I see a 'no TBs' requirement on the event horse wanted ads - lots of people with no idea of what they might be missing out on!

BunnyDog

Visit site
This is truly not too reliable as I forget names, but when I did the Tb retraining competition here in 2015 and won the field hunter division, the RoR contingent that came to watch all agreed that of all the horses competing that year, my guy was the one they all wanted in their barns. He was a truly lovely horse.

But fwiw, I thought based on this that the ROR were very smart people. LOL

:cool:;)

This is one of my favorite pics of him.

Gin at Devon.jpg

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I can now join this thread. This is Aldrich Bay. I went to see @TheMule chestnut gelding with her and as you do started looking on the trainers website and spotted 5yo Aldrich and just loved him. Then went along with TM and in the field was this bay and I said who is that? Oh that’s Aldrich. So we looked at Eagle and then I couldn’t help myself but to look at Aldrich. Messaged the trainer and said let me know if he wants another life fully expecting him to go back into training for hurdles and maybe to fail a bit more around November/December time which would be perfect with me having crappy health
Especially as they bought him at the sales for £20k. Trainer contacts me and says we would sell for £8k, I was like nah happy for him to fail a bit more. Comes back and we haggle and get to a price I am happy with ?. Go back today to check I still love him and I do, so pick him up tomorrow. I have been looking at sporthorses up to £15k but don’t like anything as much as I like him. He is so uphill you can see his withers from behind. Just needs the slow work now to get the topline done.

I love his breeding as loads of Sir Gaylord, Bold Bidder, Princequillo and Prince Chevalier. Perfect sporthorse TB breeding.

Attachments

• 6E2BD6D3-E089-4E3E-B8DC-8DDF621443A6.jpeg
    6E2BD6D3-E089-4E3E-B8DC-8DDF621443A6.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 104

TheMule

Visit site
I can now join this thread. This is Aldrich Bay. I went to see @TheMule chestnut gelding with her and as you do started looking on the trainers website and spotted 5yo Aldrich and just loved him. Then went along with TM and in the field was this bay and I said who is that? Oh that’s Aldrich. So we looked at Eagle and then I couldn’t help myself but to look at Aldrich. Messaged the trainer and said let me know if he wants another life fully expecting him to go back into training for hurdles and maybe to fail a bit more around November/December time which would be perfect with me having crappy health
Especially as they bought him at the sales for £20k. Trainer contacts me and says we would sell for £8k, I was like nah happy for him to fail a bit more. Comes back and we haggle and get to a price I am happy with ?. Go back today to check I still love him and I do, so pick him up tomorrow. I have been looking at sporthorses up to £15k but don’t like anything as much as I like him. He is so uphill you can see his withers from behind. Just needs the slow work now to get the topline done.

I love his breeding as loads of Sir Gaylord, Bold Bidder, Princequillo and Prince Chevalier. Perfect sporthorse TB breeding.

I suspect we may well have another TB or 2 from the same source along the way :p
It's so nice to see a race yard where they're treated as individuals and live a normal life- they go out in the field, go hacking and get ridden properly.

Visit site

Your lucky! Most trainers wouldn't have given up on him so soon. Did he have an injury? He has been off the track for a year which would suggest soft tissue.

LEC

www.youtube.com
Your lucky! Most trainers wouldn't have given up on him so soon. Did he have an injury? He has been off the track for a year which would suggest soft tissue.

He has grown quite a lot - I know the work rider for him, had full medical passed on to me and the trainer is straight as no reason not to be. She wanted to keep him for jumping. He wasn’t that cheap…. But all the ones I like never are. I have basically paid for a 5yo blank canvas who is ready to crack on which is a lot cheaper than the sport horses I was looking at.

MummyEms

Visit site
Worth anyone with a H&C subscription and an interest in retraining ex racehorses to take a look at the XC footage from the RoR class at Gatcombe this weekend. 12 lovely horses went forwards and made much lighter work of the XC than the Corinthian cup and Open Novice horses did the day after.
This has made me want to get a subscription just to see it ???

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
He has grown quite a lot - I know the work rider for him, had full medical passed on to me and the trainer is straight as no reason not to be. She wanted to keep him for jumping. He wasn’t that cheap…. But all the ones I like never are. I have basically paid for a 5yo blank canvas who is ready to crack on which is a lot cheaper than the sport horses I was looking at.

Lovely looking. Although I am scarred for life by a Sir Gaylord ?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
My mare has a tonne of him and she is great. Funny isn’t it as always certain lines we get scarred by.

To be fair, I think the mare I had serious issues entirely unconnected to her breeding. Even though the sire (Moonax) was a nut nut.

Now if I could find any more Champs Elysees (Simon's sire) I'd struggle not to take them home. I rode quite a few in training and loved them all. Big thickset wooden-headed lumps.... but nice ones!

LEC

www.youtube.com
To be fair, I think the mare I had serious issues entirely unconnected to her breeding. Even though the sire (Moonax) was a nut nut.

Now if I could find any more Champs Elysees (Simon's sire) I'd struggle not to take them home. I rode quite a few in training and loved them all. Big thickset wooden-headed lumps.... but nice ones!
I think you will struggle as see he died in 2018. Probably a good thing they are not that common for your bank account!