Retraining ex-racers thread

TheMule

Visit site
As a few people seem to be on this journey currently and I'm joining the ex-racers club this week I thought I'd start a thread to share experiences/ trials & tribulations!

My new boy comes home on Thursday- he is 8 and has run 35 times and won 5, mostly on the flat with a couple of hurdles races. He has had a break since coming out of training so we'll be starting slow and steady with lots of groundwork and quiet hacking. He has come from a nice yard where he has seen a bit of life so hopefully this will all go swimmingly….. ??

Meet Eagle

F642DBCC-49FB-4D70-B8F1-2CE23BD4937F.jpeg
3F15AF7C-0738-4B5E-96E4-B7BC9601D61E.jpeg

TPO

Visit site
There will be a queue if you can find his twin brother!

He's a lovely sort. Looking forward to following his updates

Visit site
I thought he looked like a Lope De Vega. They are nice horses! He looks like a lovely sort, I hope you enjoy him and have lots of fun with him!

I'm guessing he picked up an injury in his last run as no one would retire a young horse on a win otherwise.

Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site
Oh he is a really really nice type. I'm not surprised you snapped him up. What are your plans with him?

I'm another with an ex-racer. I've always been partial to a tb but I'm not sure I'll be going back to another breed after my current boy. He's the easiest, sweetest horse, who really tries his heart out.

j1ffy

Visit site
I thought he looked like a Lope De Vega. They are nice horses! He looks like a lovely sort, I hope you enjoy him and have lots of fun with him!

I'm guessing he picked up an injury in his last run as no one would retire a young horse on a win otherwise.

I've just done some stalking on the trainer's page - he was still in training in December 2021 so maybe had an injury in between then did something else?

TheMule

Visit site

Yes, small injury, came back into training but owners have given up
Thanks for the info on Lope De Vegas, I know nothing about that line other than I love Giant's Causeway. I'm such a sucker for a ginger!

TheMule

Visit site
Oh he is a really really nice type. I'm not surprised you snapped him up. What are your plans with him?

I'm another with an ex-racer. I've always been partial to a tb but I'm not sure I'll be going back to another breed after my current boy. He's the easiest, sweetest horse, who really tries his heart out.

Hopefully he'll be interested in eventing, but it doesn’t really matter if not, I just urgently needed another horse to make numbers work and he's a very useful sort so if he just hacks that's fine too.