Retraining horse movement patterns after injury

Myotto

Visit site
Hi.

My 10 year old gelding has recently come back into work after a difficult autumn/winter. He has had both hocks and both front feet injected with Arthramid for mild arthritic changes. He has also had problems with his hindgut. I gave him a good couple of months off for everything to take effect and he seems to have come back nicely, is in good spirits and feels good under saddle.

However, as a result of these problems and the compensations involved, his movement behind has changed slightly. His right hind is now coming under his body, slightly towards the left hind in walk, trot and canter. I now need to help to work on retraining this movement pattern and muscle memory. He is obviously quite weak behind and lost a lot of muscle tone

I am having him treated by a physio and osteo every couple of weeks to help with the return to work and have been given some exercises to do, including using a sausage boot on the weaker hind. I will be taking it very slowly with him.

His diet is very natural (low sugar, starch etc), he is being treated for his hindgut issues, his feet are balanced and have been xrayed etc. All the usual stuff.

I just wondered if anyone had any tips for managing his return to work. Please be nice as I am a very responsible owner and am doing the very best for my boy, including working with the professionals.

SEL

Visit site
Do you know if there's a physio who works with kinesiology tape near you? It's great for what you need but has to be applied regularly to start with - so someone who can show you exactly where and what tension to use.

T Touch is also helpful - not in terms of the massage but the exercises, including the use of bandages to encourage correct movements

Myotto

Visit site
Do you know if there's a physio who works with kinesiology tape near you? It's great for what you need but has to be applied regularly to start with - so someone who can show you exactly where and what tension to use.

T Touch is also helpful - not in terms of the massage but the exercises, including the use of bandages to encourage correct movements
I don't but I will certainly look into it. Thank you. Have you used this?

SEL

Visit site
I don't but I will certainly look into it. Thank you. Have you used this?
Yes - I'm trained in K tape and have done some CPD in T Touch, but wouldn't say it's something I use regularly. Quite obvious changes in movement patterns when demo'd on wonky horses though. "All Wrapped Up" is the book they did but Google is helpful.