Retraining Racehorses into Eventing

sunsethill

New User
Visit site
Opinions on buying a racehorse off the track, and retraining it into eventing?
Too risky? Best places to go? How much would you spend?

x

Lolo

Visit site
If you were to get one straight off the track, I think that they're virtually pennies atm which is very sad.

You need to know the horse's soundness, why it's being retired (too slow, lame, didn't like it, etc) and how much it has raced. It is risky- I think with flat horses particularly because they've been run from a young age and the lameness issues that could potentially stem from that won't be immediately apprent as they'll take time to accumulate and surface.

We have one on loan atm. He is lovely- talented, sweet, brilliant to handle and hack, well-mannered and generally a charming soul. However, he has his permanent 'stress-face' on and takes quite a lot of gentle persuasion to bring him down. He needs riding every day to maintain some from of intelligence and normal function. However, he is truly lovely and everyone adores him.

I'd look into Darley, or somewhere like that who know what they're doing and can talk you through it all properly and find a horse suitable for you.

millreef

Visit site
Virtually all the horses used for eventing are ex-racehorses here in Hong Kong. Quite a few are sent around the world when their new owners leave the country. I say go for it.

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
TBH, no more risky that buying any other horse with history, yes, lameness & unsoundness issues are common in racehorses, but unless you bought something with shockingly bad legs or dreadful conformation they are tougher than people give them credit for.

personally I like horses that have raced over fences, but that brings greater challenges than 3yo that have done one season on the flat, i would say it depends on your experience with reschooling/breaking/producing as to what you buy, they are lovely straightforward horses and make great event horses.

I would look for lightly raced horses, and would spend no more than 1k, Ascot sales are coming up early June & would be a good place to go & get a feel of what is around, look closely at conformation & attitude,

Also look at the form, and avoid anything with a noticeable break (12months plus..can indicate leg trouble) avoid inconsistent form too, like winning then pulling up repeatedly, as that may suggest underlying problems.

while the rehoming centres are very good, bear in mind if you are looking to produce and sell, you normally can't with these horses, so it depends what you are planning to do longer term

IMO you can't beat a thoroughbred!

bigboyrocky

Visit site
If you are looking to sell it at a later date then i would steed clear, however if it was for you to keep, if you can find a good one then go for it - you dont really have anything to loose. Depending where you are, 'Horses first racing' often have a few that they are selling (usually for less than a grand) and if not, i would be heading to the sales personally! Make sure if you do go to the sales (ascot isnt bad and they are quite regular) you know exactly what you want and have a very strict budget (i'd say 1.5-2k max would be enough) :)

neweventer

Visit site
It's thoroughl rewarding but make sure your doing it for the right reasons. You could get a very easy horse o train and bring on or it can be a hell of an experience
If you are going to do it make sure you go into it with your eye's open.

I've had experience with two ex-racers.
The latest was bought for pennie and is extremely talented. We show jump 1.10 and have lovely flat work. She's schooling around intro and PN fences with ease. To train she has been fantastic and I couldn't wish for anything better. I've hadher 15 months now and in theory would take her to a PN

The downside - at an event she is a different mare. Small events she works beautifully.
Our first BE ODE was a nightmare. SHe made me feel like I was a complete novice and resorted to racehorse mode.

The best piece of advice and one area where I went wrong and trying to correct it now was not getting her out enough. From the very begining get her out - in hand if need be to as much as possible.

I perserver as I hope she will come good -and when she does shes will be a cracker -but be warnned.

Good luck

Sarah2207

Visit site
I'd say go for it, just be careful and don't rush! I think that the best route to finding one is to contact a few localish trainers and see if they have anything suitable. Hopefully they will be more honest and you'll get more info about the horse than if buying at the sales. Also with the buying to sell, I do think it can work, but bear in mind that you'll get around 1k + less than a horse of a similar level if it has raced.

Gamebird

Visit site
I bought a 4yo who'd had 3 runs on the flat and never been taught to jump. I got him going over fences, did some hunter trials, SJing etc. and sold him on to event. He's 5 now, has been double clear at 2 BE90s and is doing his first BE100 next week.

boxcarhorse

Visit site
RE. selling on... it all depends how well they do in competition. My own view is that exracers can be fantastic and hugely talented, but they're difficult to sell on without some sort of track record in competition.

So if you're looking for a summer project and a quick turnaround - I'd probably go for a cob! But if you're looking to produce, compete for a season or two and then potentially sell-on then go for it.

Also, I would recommend contacting trainers directly - rather than going to the sales - you'll find out a lot more about them and probably be able to try them. This month is the perfect time of year to buy NH horses as they're being turned away.

A couple of useful websites.
www.ror.org.uk
www.sourceanexracehorse.co.uk

sunsethill

New User
Visit site
thanks thats very useful.
the plan was to do it as a working pupil placement for an extended gap year sort a thing with an event rider who i know, maybe the cob might be the better idea!!

Vickijay

Visit site
Im doing it with a project that I brought to sell. I brought her in Dec 2009 she was meant to be gone by May 2010, shes not going anywhere....ever!!

Shes smart, athletic, brave and bold as anything. Shes been out winning and getting placed at un aff dressage, going to start BD soon and has schooled round a full BE 100 course on her 3rd time XC and done some straightforward novice jumps. She is a bit gobby showjumping but its coming and its only because a) she wants to do it so much and b) she thinks she read all the books about jumping (she often practices popping out of her field, arenas etc lol) so she thinks she knows best!

She is hot to ride at parties, so taking things very slowly getting to grips with dressage and SJ so doubtful any eventing this year but Im ok with that. Its all there, I just dont want to mess it up by wanting stuff to quickly.

I get taught by a event rider who said (if I did want to sell her) that the only people that I would even consider selling her too wouldnt give 2 hoots about the fact she ran in 2 bumpers when she was 4 and would want her because of how she is and goes now. There are LOTS of people that wouldnt want her... but as a event horse in the making I think there would be a fair few that would!!

NeilM

Visit site
In another post about this subject there was a really fascinating run down of the breeding of racehorses with regards to the type of work they were bred for, NH, flat 'sprinters', flat 'stayers' etc.

Is there any one type of ex-racehorse that is more likely to take to eventing?

Lolo

Visit site
In another post about this subject there was a really fascinating run down of the breeding of racehorses with regards to the type of work they were bred for, NH, flat 'sprinters', flat 'stayers' etc.

Is there any one type of ex-racehorse that is more likely to take to eventing?

The ones who try but are useless? Lol... Sorry, bad answer but I would also be interested in that one! Reg has the same sire as Beau Bear and they share a lot of characteristics, from looks (same 'old fashioned' head and wide-set eyes) to personality (worriers!).

For resale- a good ex-racer is worth a lot. One without the solid new beginnings, results and credentials is probably worth not-much.

claire dorotik

New User
Visit site
Having trained several racehorses into jumpers and dressage horses, I can say that they are a mixed bag. A good one -- sound, sane and willing -- can be worth his weight in gold. However, they do often need restoring of the horse-human connection, which can take time. In my years, with careful exam before purchase, I have not had trouble with lameness.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Firewell

Visit site
We have 3 ex-racers at my yard and they are all really easy, normal horses. They were all through word of mouth though so we got the sane, sound ones!

Mine is amazing to jump, super bold but careful and sensible. Dressage is fab, finds it easy and really tries in the ring, never spools or anything. Xc he just cruises round, easy. Hacking he can be sharp and when he's excited he's sharp but he's generally really laid-back, non stressy and not clingy at all to other horses. Can leave him alone in his stable all day long and he's fine. He's perfect for vet, dentist always stands and never needs sedation. He's sound as well.

My mums is very talented but his only problem is he can be too laid-back!! Odd problem to have for a TB but dressage you can end up booting him around and lose marks because he's not forward. Jumping is the same if he decides he can't be bothered he just goes slower and slower and you become purple with the effort of keeping him moving! The challenge with him is keeping his mind fresh. Hacking he's amazing and he's perfect for my mum who is older and needs something safe. Not sure he would make a top eventer though, he has the ability and has jumped round aintree I'm just not sure he would be bothered with the level of training and effort!

My friends ex racer she's had for about 4 weeks now. She finished racing and then had 8 weeks in the field. She has amazing paces and is a sweetie! Easy as pie. She's hacking out perfectly on her own and in company. Is working on the bridle and balanced in all 3 paces and lunging over jumps fine. No problems at all and no reason why she shouldn't make a smart eventer.

I would try and find one through word of mouth as I think it's more pot luck if you go to the sales as to if you will get a sane one or not. There are some very tricky ones out there as well as the straightforward ones :)

wench

Visit site
The ideal sort for eventing would be your old fashioned steeplechaser type - grand national winner Ballabrigs (or what ever his name is!) is a perfect example - he wouldn't look out of place in the trot up at Badminton.

One that hasnt jumped, and one that hasnt been in training long would be your ideal, but not always possible.

Local trainers are best, but dependant on how quick you want one, there is often a waiting list.

Last November I obtained a rising 3 yo ex racer mare. Raced twice on the flat, had a good start, then tailed off towards the end. I believe given another year in the field, and back/teeth sorting out, she would have made a reasonable racehorse (she was just to underdeveloped for it). I have never broken in a horse, or brought on a youngster (mad yes I know).

So far she has proved to be very brave - will hack out short distances on her own, schooling is coming on nicely, she will stay in the school happily whilst others (about 10!) leave her and go on a hack, and she is also showing a very good attitude towards jumping/coloured poles. She gets worked for 15 mins twice a week to keep her mind ticking over.

She is also going to go out as much as possible this summer in-hand showing, to get her used to being out and about, in the hope when it comes to next year under saddle she will be calm and behaved.

My plan for her next year is to do a BE 4yo class with her, and next winter is to get someone to take her out hunting, so to develop her skills for XC.

It is not my intention she will be sold - shes to good for that! I have also learnt, that after having two TB's (Etta, and Henry) and other horses that are not TB's - I would go for the TB every time!

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Of course its possible, in Austrailia, new Zealand, and the USA, the top level eventers are mostly ex-racehorses. Maybe not so much now because we have the flashy lightweight warmbloods, but 10 years or so ago, they would all be ex racers in those continents.
Its only in the UK that people have silly opinions about them!

They can do whatever you want them to do if they have the right ability, soundness and mindset for it- and a large proportion of them do. Unfortunately those are the ones that often make good racehorses! But there is always the odd one or two that filters through into eventing.

And a good horse wont be dirt cheap either- the trainers know what they have got.

Nikademus

Visit site
It's thoroughl rewarding but make sure your doing it for the right reasons. You could get a very easy horse o train and bring on or it can be a hell of an experience
If you are going to do it make sure you go into it with your eye's open.

I've had experience with two ex-racers.
The latest was bought for pennie and is extremely talented. We show jump 1.10 and have lovely flat work. She's schooling around intro and PN fences with ease. To train she has been fantastic and I couldn't wish for anything better. I've hadher 15 months now and in theory would take her to a PN

The downside - at an event she is a different mare. Small events she works beautifully.
Our first BE ODE was a nightmare. SHe made me feel like I was a complete novice and resorted to racehorse mode.

The best piece of advice and one area where I went wrong and trying to correct it now was not getting her out enough. From the very begining get her out - in hand if need be to as much as possible.

I perserver as I hope she will come good -and when she does shes will be a cracker -but be warnned.

Good luck

I'd agree. I wouldn't swap my ex racer for anything but no one else will ride him. I've had him 12 months and in that time we've gone from walk trot dressage to elimentary. We also do showing, showjumping and have an intro in 3 weeks. He's amazing and has so much enthusiasm and power and jump. He is however very "hot" and it's taken me 12 months to get him hacking on his own and he frequently does rodeo impressions in warm up arenas. If you've got a sticky bum and lots of patience go for it! It's so rewarding :) (Invest in a good hat and back protector though - I never hack out without mine now!)

Pharphar!

Visit site
Its very hard work, trust me. you need to make sure you know and are truthful about your abilities and you have the time to dedicate to them. its like starting a youngster from scratch only harder since they have that inherent need to run as fast as they can!:eek:

I speak from experience, i had a lad who i bought off track. i adored him but i didnt end up having the time and resources to re-train him and tbh i wasnt as good as i thought i was!! However, im not trying to be doom and gloom! happily he has now gone to a new home who has experience and time to retrain him. My current horse is also an ex-racer and competed at BE level, his only vice is he LOVES xc and is like a tank! apart from being a turd at the minute cuz of the grass i couldnt wish for a more lovely, sensible animal. He is (usually) calm at comps, and to hack out tho if there are more than 2 horses he can get a bit competitive and want to be up front! he's put my friends horse to shame as her horse was running round in the middle of the road while my lad stood like a donkey waiting for him to stop!:rolleyes:

A friend of mine bought a horse of track and he's been sold on and become a brilliant eventer so it can happen! the girl my old lad went to has retrained a lot of exracers to event and i've seen the successes. But also seen some failures and some proper screw-loose horses so be careful!

all said and done i wouldnt change my boy for the world! :D