Retraining trotter

barneyhunter

Visit site
Hi, has anyone had much success at re-training a trotter (looks like ISH rather than a light weight TB type, but not cob) to be an allrounder and able to do a decent dressage test?

I have plenty of patience but at the end of the day, I want to compete at unaffiliated events and dressage.

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
Are we talking trotter or pacer (Standardbred)?

Either way the answer is the same - of course it's possible. Take a look at the STAGBI Facebook page (link below) where there's some photos of trotters and pacers doing dressage. There's also the 'Standardbreds in the UK' page where people discuss tips and tricks etc for dressage and jumping, carriage driving, you name it, somebody with a trotter or pacer is doing it!

What problems (if any) are you encountering at the moment?

Sarah

barneyhunter

Visit site
Hi

Thank you for the link. No problems at the moment as I dont own it as yet, but I know the girl that currently has it struggles to stop him from doing his mega trot when asking for canter. He seems really nice type just need to get used to his paces.

I have always had WBs or ISH with more "up" trots, but money doesnt grow on trees and might have to settle for a bit more of a project. But ultimately I will want to compete so no point in buying something even if it is cheap if I will be asking him to do something that isnt possible.

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
It's certainly possible, it just may take time. Some people suggest using trotting poles on the ground, not something I tried myself. I simply pointed my mare uphill and let her go. One she started to understand that canter came after trot, I worked to slow her trot down (more uphill work), and I suppose this is where the trotting poles come in for some people.

I have a friend who suggested cantering in big circles to help balance and then making the circles gradually smaller. Take a look on Facebook (if you have access) anyway, because there's loads of people who can help.

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Certainly possible! I have a horse I think is a standard bred or half bred trotter (Or perhaps not) but she had certainly been harness raced at trot (Not a pacer). Yes her canter took a fairly long time to establish so it was balanced and self sustaining. At first she would not canter more than a stride or two out hacking unless going up a steep hill, now canters happily on the flat, in the school, over fences (which was another early problem - she thought she should power trot jumps - very uncomfortable!)

I did masses of work on long lines (some would call it lunging with two reins) got a good transition established to my voice, worked over trot and canter poles and just kept praising her efforts.

As I am not competitive by nature I don't know that she would stand up in a real competition but she would produce a solid basic prelim and probably a slightly rubbish novice test and jump a small clear round (bigger if she wasn't hampered by my conviction that 2' 6'' is enormous!) this is after about 6 months little and often work and she is improving every day. is a nice all round type you can jump, school and hack.

So what she might have lacked in the paces department she makes up for by being one of the smartest horses I have ever owned so she learns very fast.

I say go for it if you like the horse's personality. I have had 4 horses of varying types - Arabs, Unknowns, and a Lipizzaner none of any particular quality or expense and every one has been capable of working to elementary level (at home - I never go out) with more advanced lateral work established half passes and changes and of jumping a sensible calm clear and taking me for a nice hack. (my own knowledge of training/schooling ran out before my horses ability to produce what I wanted in all cases) Unless you really want to compete very seriously I don't personally think you need to spend a lot of money or have a horse of a particular type.

Toffee44

Visit site
I retrained a hackney x welsh driving pony.

It's a lot of patience and hard work as they are broken to trot hard and not break gait and there you are making them canter, Samba was scared to start with took a lot of work.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Lots of Standardbreds are retrained as riding horses in North America. My experience is the ones that come with a canter of decent quality, even if it's initially tricky to get them to use it. What often lets them down for dressage is a distinct inclination to 4 beat, which is always going to result in poor scores.

It's exactly like buying ex-racers for sport - certain individuals will more easily make the transition on the basis of their conformation and mind. So as a rule, no, trotters will not be particularly successful in dressage BUT there will always be exceptions - it just depends on whether he is one or not.

I can't say for trotters, but Standardbred horses in North America tend to be tough with good minds, which are marks in their favour.