Returning to riding

Durhamchance

Visit site
I'm back :) Some of you may remember me from a few years (8!) ago. I was looking to return to riding but really needed to lose some weight. I had sat on a friends pony a few times and the lovely MrsM met up with me and let me ride her lovely coloured coblett, but for some reason I never booked a lesson, and realising that at my size riding wasn't anywhere near as enjoyable anymore, I soon stopped again.

Fast forward to now, lots has changed. I've had two children and I've shed nearly 4 and a half stone. I'd completely put riding again out of my mind until I was quite close to my target weight, when it suddenly dawned on me that I could ride again.

So I've asked some friends and found what I hope is a good riding school, and I have a private assessment lesson booked on 14th March. I've treated myself to some new gear (my old half chaps were a size XL and I could fit my whole arm inside them as well as my leg!) luckily my hat still fits and still meets current safety standards.

I'm aware that since having children, my core strength has suffered, so I'm trying to improve it while waiting for my lesson to come around. I've been doing planks, but what else can I do at home to prepare me for the saddle? I walk everywhere and do Zumba once a week too.

Thanks for reading x

pippixox

Visit site
Yay!
Congrats on the kids and brilliant weight loss.
I have a 6 month baby and 4 horses- woops!
I plodded on my old boy until 7 months and got back on at 1 month post birth. But only a 10 minute walk!
I mostly feel my core and the inside of my thighs after rising as am as so unfit.
I've done quit e abut of speedy walking though and think it really helps.
Some Pilates exercises are great for your core strength and balance.
I would just take it slow- no more than 30 minutes at a time to start- if that!

Micropony

Visit site
Wow, well done you! If you can plank and zumba, you can surely ride! Assuming you aren't planning to hop on board and pop straight into piaffe I would have thought you were already in a good place to make a start with some normal schooling and hacking? Welcome back xx

Durhamchance

Visit site
Thank you both, I'm definitely fitter than I have been in a long time, so hopefully I'll be ok. My first lesson is only 30 mins too. I'm not looking forward to the inevitable aching the next day though lol x

booandellie

Visit site
Congrats on the weight loss, i'd recomend pilates, yoga and exercises on one of those big gym balls for core strength- enjoy your lesson!

Myloubylou

Visit site
There's some online yoga/Pilates training that range from 15 mins to hour which are great if you have space at home. Core strength is of course important but have flexibility especially in hip & ankle will help you be more effective in position & ability to apply the aids. Also body awareness. It's a good idea to do some stretches before & after, surprising how much you can seize up after 30 mins riding if you're not used to it. Good luck with it.

Durhamchance

Visit site
Gosh! Hello :) How the heck are you? Sounds like you've been very busy, congrats on children and on losing weight :)

Hi MrsM, I'm very well thank you ��We have been busy, we bought our first house in Grantham five years ago, had a little boy who's just turned four and a little girl who will be two in May. We're looking to move back to Notts/ Derby later this year.

How are you?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Lovely to hear you happy. Hope the move goes well :) Anytime you want to come cuddle a horse you're more than welcome. None of ours are in work at the mo', but a horsey fix can always be sorted.

Durhamchance

Visit site
So I went! Had a fab lesson on a lovely *steady* cob called Heidi. My instructor was very complimentary despite me feeling like my brain isn't connected to my arms and legs anymore. I did surprise us both with a very nice sitting trot, and once we'd established canter, and established that it wasn't acceptable to drop back into trot as soon as I took my leg off, I managed to sit that nicely too.
My next lesson is on Saturday and I can't wait 😊

We will be working on my position! I was completely shattered by the time the photo was taken and struggled to drive home afterwards! :D