Rev Limiter on Ford Iveco 7.5

BethanT

Visit site
So I have my 7.5ton Ford Iveco 2002 horsebox.

I love it. My first lorry, and means I get out an about.

My ONLY gripe is the Rev limiter.......... I have no intentions of speeding, especially not with my precious horses on board, but 40/43mph on a motorway is painful!

I'm planning a trip soon, which in a car would take approx 3.5 hours, but in the lorry it will likely be more like 6, and while I don't plan on doing this sort of journey often, the majority of comps require going on dual carriageways/motorways.

Besides this, going up long hills it can drop right down to as low as 20mph, because it can't get the revs high enough to pull up.

Is there anyway I can get this changed? As far as I am aware it is a legal requirement to have speed limiters on 2000 onwards lorries, but this rev limiter is annoying, and verging on dangerous - some people have pulled dangerous maneuvers to overtake me as I am going so slow!
Even if it means I have a different speed limiter in, which does just that, no limit the revs.

Or does anyone else have the same box and have the same issue? Or could there be an issue with the lorry itself? Lady I bought it from has had no issues, and she is a fellow livery, she was totally honest with me when she said she as selling as it was too slow, and didn't bother me at the time. But year on and I am much more confident and going that bit further!

turnbuckle

Visit site
40mph on an Mway ain't just slow it's lethal.

What does the rev counter read at that speed (when in top gear)?

And will it rev higher in lower gears?

Either way, you need it looked at sharpish by a decent mechanic. General lorry one will be fine. Avoid main dealers and go for a local one.

My guess is it's simply an issue with the limiter, although it MIGHT be a knacked engine. Even then s/h ones are kind of affordable.....

BethanT

Visit site
40mph on an Mway ain't just slow it's lethal.

What does the rev counter read at that speed (when in top gear)?

And will it rev higher in lower gears?

Either way, you need it looked at sharpish by a decent mechanic. General lorry one will be fine.

The limited won't allow it to go over 25, so foot flat down in top gear doing 44ish is at that point. Top gear is 6th, and it just feels as though it wants another gear.

Highest speed I got was 45mph, but that was a long flat strip of motorway! God help me if there is a hill!

eggs

Visit site
Something doesn't sound right. How heavy is your lorry? The only one I had that struggled to get above 50 mph was a heavy wooden Bedford TK many years ago.

turnbuckle

Visit site
That's 25 revs?

So it's not as though the limiter is allowing too few revs. Might be that a sensor is knacked and it thinks it's doing 2500 when it's actually doing 1900 or something...

Weird.

Garage, soon. Where in the country are you?

BethanT

Visit site
Something doesn't sound right. How heavy is your lorry? The only one I had that struggled to get above 50 mph was a heavy wooden Bedford TK many years ago.

Not had it on a weigh bridge yet so not sure. Was told it could carry two good sized horses within payload. Living isn't done up overly plush, but ramp is heavy. But regardless if I have 2 horses, 1 horse, or empty it still goes the same.

BethanT

Visit site
That's 25 revs?

So it's not as though the limiter is allowing too few revs. Might be that a sensor is knacked and it thinks it's doing 2500 when it's actually doing 1900 or something...

Weird.

Garage, soon. Where in the country are you?

2500, top of the green. I am booking it in for its plaiting end of May/June as its due in July, but as my event calendar is busy through end of June I don't really want to be without it.

I am in Devon, Devon/Cornwall boarder. So lots of hills :(

Cowpony

Visit site
I have an Iveco 6 ton, which is a lot older than yours, and I also struggle with power on hills, even with only one horse on board. 55mph seems to be its top speed (with a long wind up), and on hills it drops to 40. I had a comprehensive service done last year when it was plated and they found the brakes were binding, so I had that sorted. It hasn't made a huge difference though. I thought maybe the engine was underpowered for the weight of the vehicle but they said not. They just shrugged and said it was never going to go fast. It does put me off going on motorways. I usually compete locally so it's not too much of a problem, but sometimes it's quicker to go on the motorway for a couple of junctions.

BethanT

Visit site
So I have just called the garage to get in booked in for its plaiting (June!), quickly asked them about the rev limiter. They said definitely doesn't sound right! They will have a look and fix it when it is in. In the meantime I have put on hold the long journey as I really don't fancy doing much motorway driving while it is that slow!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Rev limiter will effect the speed but also the horse power of the vehicle will also effect your speed. I had a DAF FA 45 130, so only 130 HP & didn't |I know if. It was very slow & when it mcame to hills I had to wrestle with the gearbox to get it to climb. Sometimes we were in 2nd getting over a hill.

I've since sold it, bought a MAN with a 180 hp engine & the difference is fantastic. It has loads of power, it still has a limiter on it so it will only do 56mph which is alright but it has oodles of power to climb.

A mechanic should be able to find the problem when you have it tested in June.

mandyroberts

Visit site
I have a 2001 Iveco 75e15 with 5 gears. Cruises on motorway at 58mph with other limited lorries loaded with 2 horses. Empty it will go faster (cough-had to have a go.....).
Definitely something not right

turnbuckle

Visit site
Have made a call, sounds like my hunch was right and it may be an ECU problem....

Probably £200 to £300 s'hand, or less if you send it off to be fixed.

Even if it's an engine, a decent 2nd hand one should be about £1000 plus fitting...

So go find a garage! 40mph is just too slow to be safe.

PS Nothing like a 2001 unlimited wagon! Mine does 60 @ 1800 revs and (I am TOLD) will do 80 (without a horse on board, obv)

Last edited:

BethanT

Visit site
Have made a call, sounds like my hunch was right and it may be an ECU problem....

Probably £200 to £300 s'hand, or less if you send it off to be fixed.

Even if it's an engine, a decent 2nd hand one should be about £1000 plus fitting...

So go find a garage! 40mph is just too slow to be safe.

PS Nothing like a 2001 unlimited wagon! Mine does 60 @ 1800 revs and (I am TOLD) will do 80 (without a horse on board, obv)

EEEEEEEKKKKKK!

Just spent £700 on it getting various things done with the belts as they were knackered! Wonder if it is all linked?! I now have it booked in for early June. Will it be OK until then?

turnbuckle

Visit site
Oh dear I thought I was being cheering!

No, belts won't be linked.

It shouldn't get worse. But if it is the ECU you never know. Might be a little sensor if you are lucky.

One upside is you may well get much better MPG once fixed.

Happy to help you find a decent local garage, it's a an odd talent I have! pm me if you want.

BethanT

Visit site
Oh dear I thought I was being cheering!

No, belts won't be linked.

It shouldn't get worse. But if it is the ECU you never know. Might be a little sensor if you are lucky.

One upside is you may well get much better MPG once fixed.

Happy to help you find a decent local garage, it's a an odd talent I have! pm me if you want.

Thanks turnbuckle, I have done just that!

foxy

Visit site
I had an issue with my last lorry which had the limiter on it, I would get to about 48/50 and then it would not go any faster...that was an issue with the turbo, I think mine was picked up by doing a diagnostic check

Bob notacob

Visit site
Get the fuel system checked out ,also check that the calibration seals on the injector pump are intact and that someone hasnt wound the max delivery down for an mot (to reduce smoke).A speed limiter should have no effect , none zilch nada !!! till 56 mph ,up hill ,down dale ,whatever. NO EFFECT! Anything else is a fuel problem.

BethanT

Visit site
Thanks guys. I have spoken to the garage who will be doing the plating and they have said they will sort it. I just hope it isn't going to be one of those things that costs a fortune! But that said, I picked lorry up for bargain price, so even if I have to spend a bit on it I probably still couldn't get one as good as that for the money.....