Reversing Trailer ...any tips?

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
I've only just recently started towing my trailer (I'm over 50 so don't need to pass a test). I know exactly what I have to do to reverse, but I just can't get my head round it. My brain is strictly divided in two... On one side, I can speed read, speak and write 3 foreign languages (one of them in Greek), but the other side struggles with very simple maths, left and right, clockwise/anti clockwise etc. For example if I have to turn lock or undo something like a screw or even turn a tap to hot or cold I have to say to myself 'Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey'. If anyone has any sayings or tips that might help me, its kind of like being dyslexic in a way. Thank you.

millikins

Visit site
Use the wing mirrors and never try to look ‘properly ‘.
Im fine if no one is looking, but give me a spectator and it all goes to pot!

This. You could also try and find an empty car park to practise in, without pony of course. My local station car park is almost deserted on a Sunday.

limestonelil

Visit site
Oh goodness, all I can advise is practice, and more practice. Without spectators. I am still always better towing forwards and will get sorted when I arrive somewhere so I don't need to reverse out, wherever possible.
Or get a lorry.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
I used to rock up hunting an hour early so I wouldn't get myself into a situation ! I have also seen farmers nudging each other as if to say watch this, which makes me more determined. Its one of those things its a feel, and you have to learn it yourself by practice. One of our friends a farmer always says to me right hand down which I always tel him that means jack shit to me ! I can now reverse in to a tight space but thank the lord I never had to take a trailer test !

tda

Visit site
It's muscle memory and you just have to practice, practice, practice.
I'm pretty dam hot at reversing a trailer now, but sometimes still make a b*lls of it!
Definitely use your mirrors, go slow and don't turn the steering wheel too much in one go.

McFluff

Visit site
It was a tip on here (really sorry, can’t remember who to credit them) that helped me.
Place your hands on the bottom of the steering wheel. Then move your hands towards the mirror that you want the trailer to move into. Once it’s at the angle you want turn the wheel so the car follows.
As others have said, go slowly, and remember that you can go forwards to help correct an angle.

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
Find somewhere safe and just play with reversing, parking etc or failing that sign up for a course. It's just another skill that you have to learn but I was hopeless if I had someone watching until I got confident. Or just get a lorry, much easier!
I would if u didn't live in farming country and they're booked up for months with young lads needing training, good idea about somewhere safe.

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
If you use your mirors you just steer toward the one the trasiler is looming in. Practice is the answer! I'm still not keen but not helped by a famer OH who can reverse a tractor and grain trailer at any speed round any bend...
Haha I had to get my local farmer to do that for me the other day too!

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
If you use your mirors you just steer toward the one the trasiler is looming in. Practice is the answer! I'm still not keen but not helped by a famer OH who can reverse a tractor and grain trailer at any speed round any bend...
Good idea, my farmer has helped me too!

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
That's me lo
I used to rock up hunting an hour early so I wouldn't get myself into a situation ! I have also seen farmers nudging each other as if to say watch this, which makes me more determined. Its one of those things its a feel, and you have to learn it yourself by practice. One of our friends a farmer always says to me right hand down which I always tel him that means jack shit to me ! I can now reverse in to a tight space but thank the lord I never had to take a trailer test !
LOL that sounds like me!

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
It was a tip on here (really sorry, can’t remember who to credit them) that helped me.
Place your hands on the bottom of the steering wheel. Then move your hands towards the mirror that you want the trailer to move into. Once it’s at the angle you want turn the wheel so the car follows.
As others have said, go slowly, and remember that you can go forwards to help correct an angle.
I like that, sounds a good idea, thanks

EnduroRider

Visit site
I found the easiest way to suss it is to use your mirrors and lift the hand on the side that you want the trailer to come to.

doodle

Visit site
Echo all saying practise. I also didn’t have to do test and when I started towing a friend took me into a huge flat field and I literally played around seeing what happened. If it is going wrong pull forward and start again. I now have to reverse into parking space with literally 3 inches each side and can generally manage anything move I have to. Go really really slowly and then go ever slower. Think about moving trailer a foot at a time. And only move your steering wheel a fraction at a time. I had various people telling me how to do it but you really need to work that out yourself. I find it easier to use my mirrors for most moves but also look behind when needed.

It tends to go wrong when someone is watching or I think about it too much!

holeymoley

Visit site
Some good tips.
Basically the side that appears in your wing mirror, you steer towards that side.
So if the trailer is heading to the right, you steer clockwise.

Also before you reverse make sure you’re straight as if you’re not it can be much harder!

deb_l222

Visit site
Even though you don’t need the BE element for your licence, take yourself off on a course anyway, it will help you enormously.

I honestly think there’s a big gap in the market here for towing lessons but no test. I managed to find a half day tuition and it was fabulous. The chap was really patient and by the end of the day, I was reversing the trailer into stupid small spaces.

Yes, it’s all about practice but there’s a lot of theory to it too.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I was taught the following method by an HGV instructor when I did a day’s trailer driving course (well worth the expense even if you don’t need to take your trailer test).
  1. Sit looking forward
  2. Place your hands together at the bottom of the steering wheel
  3. Reverse your Car and trailer very, very slowly
  4. using your wing mirrors, move your hands towards the wing mirror you want to see the trailer in
This way, you don’t need to look over your shoulder or do anything with turning the steering wheel in an opposite direction etc etc, which I personally find quite confusing.

You will find it so easy. ? I’ve managed to manoeuvre the trailer into some really tight spots (including the IKEA car park to collect a sofa), and when I took it for its service recently and the guys asked me on purpose to park it in a nigh-on impossible space, I think just so they could have a good laugh, but the look on their faces when I did it first time!! ?

M&M&G

Visit site
This is exactly how I was taught - if you want to go straight back and see the trailer appearing in one mirror, you 'steer at it'. Other thing to remember is not to steer too fiercely and that there is often a delay before the trailer responds. If it doesn't go to plan, pull forwards so all straight and breathe before trying again!