Review into Whip Use in Horseracing

Clodagh

Visit site
Visit site
I would whole heartedly agree with every jockey riding like they do in a hands and heels race. You have to carry a stick for safety reasons and can only use it down the shoulder to correct a sharp change in direction or if a horse slams on going into a fence. They can be shown in the backhand but they can not use them in the backhand.

Clodagh

Visit site
I would whole heartedly agree with every jockey riding like they do in a hands and heels race. You have to carry a stick for safety reasons and can only use it down the shoulder to correct a sharp change in direction or if a horse slams on going into a fence. They can be shown in the backhand but they can not use them in the backhand.

Oh me too. One day, surely?

fetlock

Visit site
Done, agreed its not easy; they dont want people to complete it!

They don't.
It kept mixing things up so it would have been very easy to tick the opposite to what you wanted to tick without noticing. Sneakiest survey I think I've ever done, that way.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Ooh I was looking for this to fill in, I'd happily see hands and heels only, they can be permitted to carry a whip, then use it for safety reasons only (pre defined eg veering wildly off course)

Any jockey who does use it has to explain to the stewards to ensure appropriate use or they could say it was going to drift as an excuse to use it. I know they are padded but it just doesn't look very nice and would be nicer hands and heels only.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Completed I've said the whip should only be used for safety reasons. Hope they consider the response of all groups not just the "high powered" ones.

Survey very heavy weather
the use of whips was banned by the Norwegian Racing Authorities way back in 2009 for anything other than control. About time it happened in the rest of the racing world.

I said they should use the Norway rules

Clodagh

Visit site
I've just done it. I didn't find it too bad. I understand they don't want PETA (for instance) being given the opportunity to storm it with a million responses from people who aren't really interested.