Revitalising arena, cost effective ideas ?

smiggy

Visit site
We have a school which we put in about 15 yrs ago. It's a sand pvc ( I think, those chopped up cable outer bits ) mix. It drains well but obviously over time some surface has been lost and it's starting to get very compacted, especially on the track, which quickly compacts again after raking. It also freezes at the drop of a hat and stays frozen for ages. It gets used for about an hour a day, one horse, flat work only.
One pony is a tripper at the moment and us much worse on waxed surfaces so want to avoid that.
Was thinking big rubber chunks might be good non freeze option but one horse is coloured feathered cob so don't want anything that will stain those.
Just frightened of making a costly mistake , any ideas?
I wish there was someone who would come and give independent advice but I feel any one that comes will just suggest their own surface.

case895

Visit site
I am about to trial adding wax to a section of my arena because that should displace the water and therefore stop it freezing in the winter.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would look at covering it with the chopped up carpet they sell now it works well on top of an old surface and its very freeze resistant

meesha

Visit site
I am just laying carpet gallop but on its own (old surface removed) you would need less if you have sand but would still cost couple thousand I think if carpet gallop as you would need a deep enough layer for it to knit together...but I may be wrong.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you want really cheap I've added black and brown sheep fleece to mine over the last three years and it's fabulous. As someone else said, I've cut out the carpet maker in the middle :)

smiggy

Visit site
Thanks all
Really don't want wax due to tripping but carpet stuff sounds good
Ycbm, annoyingly I throw away ten black fleeces every year !

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks all
Really don't want wax due to tripping but carpet stuff sounds good
Ycbm, annoyingly I throw away ten black fleeces every year !

Tear them into shreds and put them in your surface :) It took three wool board bags of herdwick fleece to stabilise the whole of my 30x40 arena. I haven't topped it up for a few months and I have a stable full of this year's fleece! And some very warm mice :D