Reviving old stiff leather

Murphy1

Visit site
I acquiring some old leather tack, it was only used a few times by previous owner and then been sat in a tack room for ages. There's no mould but it's incredibly stiff. I was told to oil it and was going to get some neatsfoot for it but have since read that it's not good for leather. Would it be that bad used just once to get it supple again? Or should I use something else?
I have renapur cleaner and balm so could just use that instead, I'm just not sure it'll soften the leather enough!

Micky

Visit site
I know things have changed over the years but we always used neatsfoot back in the day, I personally would use it..or a good quality leather balm and keep applying giving it a good rub in..

Trouper

Visit site
There was a thread not long ago about reviving old leather by a forum member - but can't for the life of me remember who it was. Hope they will be along soon.

cornbrodolly

Visit site
Oz is the person you need - I think he is 'cremedemonthe' . I now make his recipe and use for everything from show tack to grandfathers harness. It takes a bit of elbow grease to work it in , but it is brilliant.

Pippity

Visit site
I picked up an old leather lunge cavesson from ebay a few weeks ago. When it arrived, the leather was like cardboard. A few doses of Oz's leather conditioner, and it's soft, supple and generally beautiful. (Sadly, also too small for the clodhopper's enormous head.) I've also used it on a cheap leather headcollar, and I keep getting compliments on the quality of the headcollar!

The conditioner's really good stuff, and I recommend it to everyone. http://www.unicornleather.co.uk/leather_conditioner.html

Murphy1

Visit site
Oz is the person you need - I think he is 'cremedemonthe' . I now make his recipe and use for everything from show tack to grandfathers harness. It takes a bit of elbow grease to work it in , but it is brilliant.

Did a search and found the post with the conditioner recipe :) now where do I buy beeswax??

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
When I worked at a RS back in the 60's my boss had a big tub of neatsfoot oil in the tack room. I cleaned the bridles then hung them in the oil and left them 24hrs. Not all at once obviously. Had to wipe them down a lot when I got them out again to get the grease off. When we had the annual RS Inspection, the inspector was very complimentary about our lovely supple bridles. I was well chuffed. Back then of course there wasn't anything else available.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have just finished off my tin of neatsfoot and was wondering what to get.
I go to tack sales and generally appalled at the condition of tack that is being sold second hand. There are exceptions obviously with lovely tack, but most looks as though it is never cleaned - and if you are selling wouldn't you give it a good clean first?

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I really like Lincoln’s leather balsam (I think it’s called?) smells abit like honey! I’ve always found that it softens leather up lovely!

scruffyponies

Visit site
If really old and stiff, always warm water first. Definitely don't bend anything until the fibres are soaked and have become flexible, otherwise they will crack and break.

KO-CHO-LINE is the best stuff for really old, tired leather. Otherwise if it's just stiff from lack of use, then neatsfoot or conditioner.

Murphy1

Visit site
Thanks all. I will try the renapur I have already and see if that works well enough, I've never used it on anything that stiff before as everything else I have is nice and soft. Otherwise I will get some of Oz's :)

SpotsandBays

Visit site
If really old and stiff, always warm water first. Definitely don't bend anything until the fibres are soaked and have become flexible, otherwise they will crack and break.

KO-CHO-LINE is the best stuff for really old, tired leather. Otherwise if it's just stiff from lack of use, then neatsfoot or conditioner.
Oh I love that stuff too. Looks like jam!